Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2016, 10:37 PM
BP Mafia

Great pics!

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-08-2016, 05:34 PM
BAR

Thanks Bill...

One of these days I'm gonna do some real close ups of the liftoff on burst mode. The only thing I wish that camera did differently (Fuji Finepix SD2500) is that the burst mode wasn't limited to just 3MP. There is an "intermediate" burst mode at 5MP, which is where I take most of my photos at (I don't bother using the 10MP setting because it just writes big files and takes up a lot of room on the card-- I'm not blowing pics up poster size so why bother with all the extra data and resolution??) The burst mode is 33 pics in about 1.3 seconds, then it writes them all to the card from the buffer memory which takes about 10-15 seconds, during which I can't take any more pics... so rarely do I get any deployment or recovery shots... (which I'm usually okay with anyway). The medium burst mode is fewer pics over a longer period of time IIRC... but at 5 MP...

Anyway, I'm satisfied with it. Maybe someday I'll get a newer version of this camera-- they're 15 MP with a higher mag lens while still having the good burst modes...

Later! OL J R
Old 03-08-2016, 09:25 PM
BP Mafia

A new camera is on my to-do list, but it isn't critical at this point. My big Oly does a pretty decent job with lift off shots and recycles quick enough to catch the climb out and the recovery if need be. That's best done with the telephoto lens at a distance, but I've had pretty decent results at NARAM in the past. I just garbage picked a Sanyo combo unit from my daughter and I'm looking forward to trying it out as a launch video camera on a tripod at B6-4 Field when it resurfaces. She did a lot of her early You Tube videos with it and it seems fairly idiot proof, so I'm looking forward to trying it. It also doubles as a still camera. She mentioned something about another one that she's "outgrown", so I'll have to remind her about bringing it when she comes back to town next week. I don't mind hand-me-downs.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 03-08-2016, 10:56 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
A new camera is on my to-do list, but it isn't critical at this point. My big Oly does a pretty decent job with lift off shots and recycles quick enough to catch the climb out and the recovery if need be. That's best done with the telephoto lens at a distance, but I've had pretty decent results at NARAM in the past. I just garbage picked a Sanyo combo unit from my daughter and I'm looking forward to trying it out as a launch video camera on a tripod at B6-4 Field when it resurfaces. She did a lot of her early You Tube videos with it and it seems fairly idiot proof, so I'm looking forward to trying it. It also doubles as a still camera. She mentioned something about another one that she's "outgrown", so I'll have to remind her about bringing it when she comes back to town next week. I don't mind hand-me-downs.

Yeah... I don't even have a vid camera... the Fuji will take HD video if you set it to that mode-- I've done it some, but I usually just prefer stills...

Been tinkering with the idea of getting me some of those 60fps hi-def keychain cams... set up a couple behind glass or something for "pad shots" of the liftoff and climbout, etc... plus I could make some neat vids by attaching them to farm machinery here and in Indiana at the BIL's during planting and harvest...

I did a lot of research before I got the Fuji... probably the best burst mode out there for a non-high end DSLR... only gave like $175 for it. It's one of the "pro-sumer" models that has good glass and a pretty good 10:1 zoom... the new ones are 20:1 zoom, and it's actually in the lens, not that "cheat" of "digital zooming" which basically just blows up part of the chip, which is no good...

Wow, sounds like we're about to get it again... lightning really kicking up. Better get off here...

Later! OL J R
Old 03-11-2016, 12:48 PM
Almost shovel ready

One of these days I hope to make it down to Needville where the deer and the antelope play and light a few candles with Jeff and Keira. Do I need a passport or visa to travel into that part of Texas?
Old 03-11-2016, 03:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
One of these days I hope to make it down to Needville where the deer and the antelope play and light a few candles with Jeff and Keira. Do I need a passport or visa to travel into that part of Texas?

Nah, but look over your shoulder if you hear a banjo playing.........
Old 03-11-2016, 03:58 PM
Almost shovel ready

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Nah, but look over your shoulder if you hear a banjo playing.........

Super! Just like north Texas!
Old 03-12-2016, 04:53 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin

No but speaking Spanish helps... LOL

But then that's true of most of Texas anyway...

Later! OL J R