Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-18-2007, 05:11 PM
Dazed and Confused

Default 11-18-07 Launch Photos

I didn't have a good day behind the camera this time. I had clouds to the west, limiting the available light and I didn't zoom in as much to keep the lens a little faster. This caused some poor focusing because the rocket was so small in the frame. I should have paid more attention to what it was focusing on. Cropping the photos made it stand out even more. Next time I'm going to get in tighter like I did on some of my better attempts in the past. I might miss a few, but it's better than getting blurry stuff.

We started with my son's scratch Goblin on an A8-3.

My son's Estes Patriot on a B4-4.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

My Semroc Aerobee-Hi on its maiden flight. I went with a 1/2A3-2T to make sure I kept it close. The flight was much lower than expected, but I believe an A8-5 would have got it high enough to put it in the trees. I'm not sure what I'll fly it on next time. I might switch over to a streamer. Looks like I'm going to have to shoot 1/2000 or faster to keep from getting blurry shots on these little bitty rockets. The blur was more from the rocket's speed than the focus on this shot.

Bovine Rocket Recovery Services, Inc. (BRRS) on standby. Looks like they have hired some young talent.

My son's scratch built HARM was next on a B6-4. It tipped off and then flew nice and straight. Unfortunately, the flight was at a 45 degree angle and it ejected only a few feet off the ground. The only damage was about 1/2" of bent body tube and chipped a bit of paint. No repair is really needed on it to fly again.

Look closely at the flames. It looks like a little thrust vectoring took place again. With the forward fins, this was enough to help tip it off the pad before the nozzle eroded back to normal. I have a feeling this takes place quite often, but wind and other factors get the blame. Wind was completely calm on the ground and probably 5-7 mph at altitude. This rocket has flown perfectly in both calm and in light winds before.

My Nike-X clone was next on the pad with a B4-4 and a nominal flight.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Dazed and Confused

Last was my son's Mercury Redstone on a C6-3. Boost was perfect. Ejection seemed early and weak. The charge didn't eject the main chute or the wadding, but luckily the capsule's chute came out. The bit of shock cord that came out got tangled with the capsule and saved the rocket.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:29 PM
Craftsman

Those are some gorgeous flight pics of some gorgeous rockets! Nice work on both ends. I don't want to hear that they're blurry. You want blurry I can show you blurry I don't have any flight pics anywhere near the quality of these.

Keep 'em coming.
Old 11-18-2007, 06:06 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
My son's scratch built HARM was next on a B6-4. It tipped off and then flew nice and straight. Unfortunately, the flight was at a 45 degree angle and it ejected only a few feet off the ground. The only damage was about 1/2" of bent body tube and chipped a bit of paint. No repair is really needed on it to fly again.

Look closely at the flames. It looks like a little thrust vectoring took place again. With the forward fins, this was enough to help tip it off the pad before the nozzle eroded back to normal. I have a feeling this takes place quite often, but wind and other factors get the blame. Wind was completely calm on the ground and probably 5-7 mph at altitude. This rocket has flown perfectly in both calm and in light winds before.

He said it has flown on both calm and slightly breezy days. Actually, it only flew once before on a B6-4 on a perfectly still day, and I flew it unfinished. I didn't even have the fins filled, so to me today was its maiden flight, which makes the agony even worse. Luckily, the tube and the paint was the only thing damaged. I was completely parinoid about it cracking a fin.

Last edited by Intruder : 11-18-2007 at 06:55 PM.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:23 PM
7/21/61

Really beautiful photos of really beautiful rockets.

I can't believe how good those in-flight shots are.

Wow!
Old 11-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Master Modeler

WOW Excellent photos and rockets. What's your secret to capture lift offs?

P.S. The steers look inpressed, and that's no BULL !!!!

Thanks for sharing your great photos with us.

RD
Old 11-18-2007, 08:12 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
WOW Excellent photos and rockets. What's your secret to capture lift offs?

P.S. The steers look inpressed, and that's no BULL !!!!

Thanks for sharing your great photos with us.

RD

I'm using a 12v system that gives good quick ignition. For small rockets I usually try to time it with ignition and hope for the best. I can wait until I see movement on anything BT-55 size and up.

That small calf is a twin. You can just see his brother drinking his lunch behind him. They were all nice and slick just a few weeks ago. It was in the 60's today but their coats already look as thick as they would be in January.
Old 11-18-2007, 09:39 PM
Master Modeler

Thumbs up

Love the pics!!!
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 11-19-2007, 08:00 AM
Master Modeler

Great rockets and outstanding pictures!

The HARM looks great. Where did your son get the decals? I built a TLP version which didn't come with decals. It's a great rocket but definitely doen't have the cool factor that the one your son built has.