Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-05-2005, 06:23 PM
Out To Launch

Default After the Fire

No this isn't about that '80's group that did an English language cover of Falcos's "Der Commissar". I'm finally settled into my new abode and organized well enough to build. One of my first projects is another Mean Machine bash of the Centuri Thunder Roc. I have decided to break from my previous opinion that a clone should be constructed as close to the original design as possible and take advantage of some of the other bits of tech available. One design mod will be to add an ejection baffle to eliminate the need for wadding. But I'm in need of some advice for the other. I'd like to put a 3 3/4" 24mm mount in the rocket to enable E power launches with Estes engines, and I have four questions.

1) If I choose to launch with a D, what do I use for a 1" spacer? (I'm thinking spent engine casing cut to size, cellophane taped to front of engine for ease of extraction.)

2) What E9 delay would be best for ejection at apogee?

3) Since an E9 doesn't have as high a thrust spike as the D12, will I need a longer rod than 36" for the rocket to become stable?

4) Will the 3/16" rod still be sufficient rather than 1/4"? ( I use 1 piece steel and not 2 piece aluminum, actually cheaper at the hardware store. )

I'm not rocksim literate, and when this is built it will be my first E power capable rocket. I don't want anyone to get hurt!
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net