Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2007, 09:05 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

Default SAI Hen Grenade Plans

While searching for my folder of Estes decal sheets (I've lost the whole folder and haven't been able to find it for two months!) I came across a set of plans for the old Space Age Industries Hen Grenade. I recalled that someone had been looking for these and did a search..............turns out it was Arley Davis, so Arley, if you're still looking for these, let me know and I'll scan them for you. Scott, if you need a set for your archive please let me know and I'll send the scans to you too.

Joe
Old 10-01-2007, 09:09 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
While searching for my folder of Estes decal sheets (I've lost the whole folder and haven't been able to find it for two months!) I came across a set of plans for the old Space Age Industries Hen Grenade. I recalled that someone had been looking for these and did a search..............turns out it was Arley Davis, so Arley, if you're still looking for these, let me know and I'll scan them for you. Scott, if you need a set for your archive please let me know and I'll send the scans to you too.

Joe

Thanks, Joe! Yes, we can use those plans on YORP as well.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-01-2007, 09:31 AM
Old Canuck Modeller

OK, Scott. It won't happen today, but I'll get them scanned and forwarded to you as soon as I can. Should I email the scans directly to you?

Joe
Old 10-01-2007, 10:52 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986

Joe

Well, I'm sorta looking for them, too, as I still have tubes from the original kit, but I'm in no particular hurry so I'll just wait on you to send them to Scott and for him to post them.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:39 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
Well, I'm sorta looking for them, too, as I still have tubes from the original kit, but I'm in no particular hurry so I'll just wait on you to send them to Scott and for him to post them.

Roy,

Joe got the plans scanned today so I sent him my email address to send them to. I'll forward them on to you. Could you write up a doc file listing the parts you have with dimensions and send that over to me?
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-02-2007, 08:57 AM
GET GOONY!!

Thanks Joe,

The next question is: Where the heck do we find 45mm (1.77") body tubes?

Totally Tubular (the supplier with the widest range of odd tubes) does not carry this.

The closest that I can find is Centuri ST-18 which is 1.84" in diameter.....

Any ideas?

Phred

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Phred:

I'm going with the ST-18. It's slightly larger at 1.84" OD, but I'm going to construct my payload/nose cone section from heavy card stock to ensure a strong compartment for the egg, and using the shroud pattern provided means that my part will be slightly oversize due to the thickness of the card stock. So all my parts will be available from Semroc, including the coupler for the payload section. This probably seems like blasphemy to the purist, but I can't get too hung up on a difference of .07" in diameter.

Joe
Old 10-03-2007, 01:03 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Phred:

I should have asked this in my last post...............are there decals available for the Hen Grenade?

Joe
Old 10-03-2007, 01:06 PM
GET GOONY!!

Hi Joe,

I guess I would have to agree, both the ST-18 tube and coupler should work from Semroc.

Althought the decals are not yet finished, I plan on working up a set.

Question: Should they be in white, or yellow?

Ph

GET GOONY!!
Old 10-03-2007, 02:23 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Well, Phred, I'm not terribly artistic, but if I get a vote I'll go with yellow (with black 'H' and 'G' in the two white eggs). Judging from the drawing of the Hen Grenade lifting off on page 1 of the plans, and using a body tube length of 11" (not counting the payload section), it looks like the decal had a length of about 5-6". So I'm wondering if the kit name at the top of the plans on page 1 isn't just about exactly right for the decal lettering?

Joe