Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-23-2013, 01:41 PM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polaris1324

Great website! Thanks!

Greg
Old 10-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Banned

If anyone needs data, I have almost 92 GB, at present, and it keeps growing . . . Please drop me an E-Mail, if you are searching for data !

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Dave Fitch
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  SCALE DATA ARCHIVE.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  44.1 KB  

Last edited by Ez2cDave : 09-07-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2022, 01:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ez2cDave
If anyone needs data, I have almost 92 GB, at present, and it keeps growing . . . Please drop me an E-Mail, if you are searching for data !

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Dave Fitch

UPDATE . . . The Scale Data archive is over 400 GB, at present.

Dave F.
Old 09-08-2022, 09:57 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

Ez2cDave@aol.com

Dave Fitch
I'm not (at least not right now) searching for scale data, but (for others now, as well as perhaps for myself, in the future) do any of those entries you found and posted mention the Atlas-Able and/or the Thor-Altair (which was also referred to as the Thor-Burner I [the Thor-Burner II used the Surveyor Moon lander's solid propellant main retro-motor as its second stage, and the Thor-Burner IIA also had a second, smaller, spherical solid motor as its third stage])? The reason why I ask is because:

The Atlas-Able (an Atlas D topped by the upper two Vanguard upper stages, like the original Thor-Delta but with an Atlas first stage instead; none of the three Atlas-Able rounds got their spherical, STL/TRW-built Pioneer lunar probes [similar to Pioneer 5] to lunar orbit, as planned) used a modified, early Scout bulbous payload fairing (or a fairing that was quite closely patterned after the early--1959 - 1960--Scout bulbous payload fairing), and:

The earliest Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair vehicles were launched in 1965. The cheap Thor-Burner vehicles usually orbited small, simple, coded-signal TV camera-equipped satellites (although later ones orbited polar- or heliosynchronous-orbit DMSP weather satellites) that orbited ahead of the Corona (operational Discoverer) and other film capsule-equipped, high-resolution photographic spy satellites, in the spysats' orbits. They returned TV images of planned photographic film targets, to avoid wasting the spy satellites' onboard, re-entry film "bucket" return capsules' film on clouded-over, or otherwise obscured, photographic targets (and occasionally, the inexpensive Thor-Burner-lofted TV camera "check film targets ahead" satellites caught unexpected but militarily significant targets themselves first, enabling even better "on-the-fly" film camera spysat picture coverage to be obtained). Also:

The earliest Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair rounds used the earliest-type, narrow Scout payload fairing (such as was used for Explorer IX and for the other early, 12' diameter, white "polka-dot" pattern [for thermal control] aluminized Mylar, inflated-in-orbit Explorer AD--Atmospheric Density--'sub-series' of the Explorer satellites). Later Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair rounds used the by-then-commonly-used (in 1965 - 66) bulbous Scout fairing, *and*:

Both the original (narrow) and bulbous Scout payload fairings encapsulated the Allegany Ballistics Laboratory Altair final (second) stage rocket motor, as well as the payload or payloads, in the Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair. (Some--if not all--of the Thor-Burner I rockets used Altair-type second--top--stage motors; as with some other solid rocket motor types, other firms, such as--in this case--United Technologies Chemical Systems Division, with their FW-4 [the FW-4 was UT/CSD's "Altair," used as the Thor-Burner I, and some Scout & Delta vehicle, top stages, see: https://gobluechase.files.wordpress...lsion-final.pdf ], used the Allegany Ballistic Laboratory's much more famous Altair final stage rocket motor's name [even though UT/CSD didn't make the Altair motor], as "Thor-Altair" was much more recognizable and descriptive than "Thor-FW-4."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 09-08-2022, 10:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
I'm not (at least not right now) searching for scale data, but (for others now, as well as perhaps for myself, in the future) do any of those entries you found and posted mention the Atlas-Able and/or the Thor-Altair (which was also referred to as the Thor-Burner I [the Thor-Burner II used the Surveyor Moon lander's solid propellant main retro-motor as its second stage, and the Thor-Burner IIA also had a second, smaller, spherical solid motor as its third stage])? The reason why I ask is because:

The Atlas-Able (an Atlas D topped by the upper two Vanguard upper stages, like the original Thor-Delta but with an Atlas first stage instead; none of the three Atlas-Able rounds got their spherical, STL/TRW-built Pioneer lunar probes [similar to Pioneer 5] to lunar orbit, as planned) used a modified, early Scout bulbous payload fairing (or a fairing that was quite closely patterned after the early--1959 - 1960--Scout bulbous payload fairing), and:

The earliest Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair vehicles were launched in 1965. The cheap Thor-Burner vehicles usually orbited small, simple, coded-signal TV camera-equipped satellites (although later ones orbited polar- or heliosynchronous-orbit DMSP weather satellites) that orbited ahead of the Corona (operational Discoverer) and other film capsule-equipped, high-resolution photographic spy satellites, in the spysats' orbits. They returned TV images of planned photographic film targets, to avoid wasting the spy satellites' onboard, re-entry film "bucket" return capsules' film on clouded-over, or otherwise obscured, photographic targets (and occasionally, the inexpensive Thor-Burner-lofted TV camera "check film targets ahead" satellites caught unexpected but militarily significant targets themselves first, enabling even better "on-the-fly" film camera spysat picture coverage to be obtained). Also:

The earliest Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair rounds used the earliest-type, narrow Scout payload fairing (such as was used for Explorer IX and for the other early, 12' diameter, white "polka-dot" pattern [for thermal control] aluminized Mylar, inflated-in-orbit Explorer AD--Atmospheric Density--'sub-series' of the Explorer satellites). Later Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair rounds used the by-then-commonly-used (in 1965 - 66) bulbous Scout fairing, *and*:

Both the original (narrow) and bulbous Scout payload fairings encapsulated the Allegany Ballistics Laboratory Altair final (second) stage rocket motor, as well as the payload or payloads, in the Thor-Burner I / Thor-Altair. (Some--if not all--of the Thor-Burner I rockets used Altair-type second--top--stage motors; as with some other solid rocket motor types, other firms, such as--in this case--United Technologies Chemical Systems Division, with their FW-4 [the FW-4 was UT/CSD's "Altair," used as the Thor-Burner I, and some Scout & Delta vehicle, top stages, see: https://gobluechase.files.wordpress...lsion-final.pdf ], used the Allegany Ballistic Laboratory's much more famous Altair final stage rocket motor's name [even though UT/CSD didn't make the Altair motor], as "Thor-Altair" was much more recognizable and descriptive than "Thor-FW-4."

I will check to see what I have . . . THOR-related data is not plentiful, unfortunately.

Dave F.
Old 09-08-2022, 02:56 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I will check to see what I have . . . THOR-related data is not plentiful, unfortunately.

Dave F.
Thank You! Please take your time, as I'm not hurrying to do this. This is just the sort of information --a 'confirmatory note'--("This/these particular Scout payload fairing/fairings was/were also used in the Atlas-Able / Thor-Altair [or Thor-Burner I]) that could save a scale modeler a ^LOT^ of research time and drawing, if s/he simply knew (and could show, via an included note or notes that accompanied the drawing or drawings) that these vehicles, and the Scout, had the payload fairings in common, and:

(It's just like modeling the Delta E [TAID, Thrust-Augmented Improved Delta] or its next 'iteration or two,' which used the Thorad [the Long-Tank Thor] with three--or six--strap-on Castor booster motors, the latter of the two being called the "[Thorad] Delta Super Six." If a space modeler happened to also have Thor-Agena or Thorad-Agena drawings [with a note, or including a note or notes, in his or her Delta drawings--that mentioned that those improved Delta variants used "stock" Agena payload fairings], that bit of information would make the creation of a Delta E, Thorad-Delta, or [Thorad] Delta Super Six scale data pack considerably easier.)
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 09-08-2022, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Thank You! Please take your time, as I'm not hurrying to do this. This is just the sort of information --a 'confirmatory note'--("This/these particular Scout payload fairing/fairings was/were also used in the Atlas-Able / Thor-Altair [or Thor-Burner I]) that could save a scale modeler a ^LOT^ of research time and drawing, if s/he simply knew (and could show, via an included note or notes that accompanied the drawing or drawings) that these vehicles, and the Scout, had the payload fairings in common, and:

(It's just like modeling the Delta E [TAID, Thrust-Augmented Improved Delta] or its next 'iteration or two,' which used the Thorad [the Long-Tank Thor] with three--or six--strap-on Castor booster motors, the latter of the two being called the "[Thorad] Delta Super Six." If a space modeler happened to also have Thor-Agena or Thorad-Agena drawings [with a note, or including a note or notes, in his or her Delta drawings--that mentioned that those improved Delta variants used "stock" Agena payload fairings], that bit of information would make the creation of a Delta E, Thorad-Delta, or [Thorad] Delta Super Six scale data pack considerably easier.)

I posted my THOR-related data ( such as it is ).

Dave F.
Old 09-08-2022, 05:47 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
I posted my THOR-related data ( such as it is ).

Dave F.
Thank you!
NAR #54895 SR