Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by foamy
Hi blackshire, the decal is black. The model has no motor clip, nor is one mentioned in the instructions. The nose cone is an odd vinyl-like plastic (it's kinda soft) and is orange with a black, hard plastic coupler(?).
Thank you for this information, foamy! This indicates that there were at least three variants of the Javelin--balsa nose cone/no motor clip, plastic nose cone/no motor clip, and plastic nose cone with a motor clip (here are scans of the "Copyright 1972" instructions for the third Javelin variant that had a motor clip, see: http://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/kc-31.htm ).
Quote:
A strange thing I noticed this morning—the paint on the nose cone is still tacky after about twelve hours of drying. The body and fins are quite hard and dry.
Did you use the same brand of paint on the nose cone as on the fins? (The nose cone you described [with the black plastic snap-on base] was their normal type. The nose cone itself may be rather soft because Centuri originally called them "payload cones," and they were intended to be capable of being taken apart to load and remove payloads.)
Quote:
Since I have scanner software problems at the moment, I'll take the decal into work tomorrow and do a hi-res scan, or if he prefers, I'd be glad to send him the actual decal—just let me know.
Gordon (Sandman) has made other reproduction decals from scans of original ones. A PDF scan (which will print at 100% size) or a JPEG or TIFF scan (with an accurate shop ruler laid next to the decal sheet to indicate the scale) should be usable for him. You could send him a PM (Private Message) through the forum here, to his "handle" of Sandman.
Quote:
If there are repros available or they can be made from this one, then I might just as well go that route. It's that or I'll try and paint it (or look for repro decals) as it appears on the kit card which, having thought about it, I kind of prefer. Thank you for the suggestions and advice.
You're welcome. Having bought several of his reproduction decals and held them side-by-side with originals, I could not tell the difference between them but for the old decal sheets' faded backing sheets! Also, having reproductions of your original decal sheet available would help other model rocketeers, plus you could order as many of the decals as you wish to use on additional Javelins. Semroc's "Retro-Repro" Javelin kit (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-16 ) comes with the kit-card Javelin decal, which they also sell separately (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...?idproduct=1130 ). It would still be nice to have reproductions of the black helical checkerboard roll pattern decal available from Sandman, though (Semroc does have the black helical checkerboard decal for their "Retro-Repro" Centuri Snipe Hunter kit, but it may be a self-adhesive paper decal rather than a waterslide decal [the ones I bought appear to be self-adhesive paper ones]).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 01-17-2011 at 04:15 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 01-17-2011, 04:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
Did you use the same brand of paint on the nose cone as on the fins? (The nose cone you described [with the black plastic snap-on base] was their normal type. The nose cone itself may be rather soft because Centuri originally called them "payload cones," and they were intended to be capable of being taken apart to load and remove payloads.)

Yeah, I used the same paint on both (Rustoleum enamel). Even now (eighteen hours after painting and two coats of Rustoleum primer—which dried), it's still a bit tacky.

Quote:
Gordon (Sandman) has made other reproduction decals from scans of original ones. A PDF scan (which will print at 100% size) or a JPEG or TIFF scan (with an accurate shop ruler laid next to the decal sheet to indicate the scale) should be usable for him. You could send him a PM (Private Message) through the forum here, to his "handle" of Sandman.

I'll take your suggestion and run with it. Thanks for the details, I wouldn't have thought of a scale for accurate sizing. I'll send a PDF, they tend to go through the wires a lot easier and fidelity isn't compromised.

Quote:
You're welcome. Having bought several of his reproduction decals and held them side-by-side with originals, I could not tell the difference between them but for the old decal sheets' faded backing sheets! Also, having reproductions of your original decal sheet available would help other model rocketeers, plus you could order as many of the decals as you wish to use on additional Javelins. Semroc's "Retro-Repro" Javelin kit (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...s.asp?SKU=KV-16 ) comes with the kit-card Javelin decal, which they also sell separately (see: http://www.semroc.com/Store/scripts...?idproduct=1130 ). It would still be nice to have reproductions of the black helical checkerboard roll pattern decal available from Sandman, though (Semroc does have the black helical checkerboard decal for their "Retro-Repro" Centuri Snipe Hunter kit, but it may be a self-adhesive paper decal rather than a waterslide decal [the ones I bought appear to be self-adhesive paper ones])

Good information. I much prefer waterslides to peel 'n sticks. Again, thanks a lot.

It's quite nice to discover a Centuri buff. I grew up building their kits (the local hobby shop didn't carry any other brands) and I'm a bit of a fanboy.

Last edited by foamy : 01-17-2011 at 04:54 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:03 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Yeah, I used the same paint on both (Rustoleum enamel). Even now (eighteen hours after painting and two coats of Rustoleum primer—which dried), it's still a bit tacky.
Hmmm...it might be some kind of low-intensity reaction (where the plastic of the nose cone may be acting as a "negative catalyst" to slow down the paint's curing process).
Quote:
I'll take your suggestion and run with it. Thanks for the details, I wouldn't have thought of a scale for accurate sizing. I'll send a PDF, they tend to go through the wires a lot easier and fidelity isn't compromised.

Good information. I much prefer waterslides to peel 'n sticks. Again, thanks a lot.
Same here! I'm gratified that the kit-card decal in Semroc's Javelin kit is a waterslide decal.
Quote:
It's quite nice to discover a Centuri buff. I grew up building their kits (the local hobby shop didn't carry any other brands) and I'm a bit of a fanboy.
Yes, there's something about their brand of kits that has always appealed to me. Even though Centuri never produced aerial cameras or transmitting payloads, their products (including the packaging) had an aesthetic quality that attracted me, as did the little refinements such as their metallic "Spec Plate" decals (adopted from Enerjet, I believe) with the kits' recommended motors lists.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 01-17-2011 at 06:05 PM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 05-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Upscale Aero-Dart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Yeah! More Aero-Darts!

(It's a sickness, I tell you ).

You already have all the parts, Carl.

Bob, any chance of getting a parts list for your upscale Aero-Dart & or a RockSim file?
Would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Larry B
Old 05-14-2011, 12:14 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stargate
Bob, any chance of getting a parts list for your upscale Aero-Dart & or a RockSim file?
Would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Larry B

Sure.

All parts listed by/from Semroc:

Nose Cone: BNC-80HCO

Lower Body Tube: Custom cut (For fin slots) heavy-wall BT-80, 23 7/16"

Payload Section tube: heavy wall BT-80, 12 1/2"

Nose Block: NB-80

Fins: Custom laser-cut (No part number), through-the tube like Semroc Brighton kit

Centering Rings: Custom laser cut (No part number)

Motor tube: 29mm

Parachute, shockcord, launch lugs, etc. up to you.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:05 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Sure.

All parts listed by/from Semroc:

Nose Cone: BNC-80HCO

Lower Body Tube: Custom cut (For fin slots) heavy-wall BT-80, 23 7/16"

Payload Section tube: heavy wall BT-80, 12 1/2"

Nose Block: NB-80

Fins: Custom laser-cut (No part number), through-the tube like Semroc Brighton kit

Centering Rings: Custom laser cut (No part number)

Motor tube: 29mm

Parachute, shockcord, launch lugs, etc. up to you.

Thanks Bob,
Really appreciate you taking the time to post the parts list for your upscale Enerjet Aero-Dart.
I didn't realize until you told me, that the upscale balsa nose cone ( BNC-80HCO ), is a stock Semroc part. That's great news.
I still have a case of identical tubes to the Semrocs BTH-80. So, I'm all set here thick walled BT80's.
I'll have to order 2 or 3 of the Semroc BNC-80HCO balsa nose cones.
I can machine cut my own fins, centering rings, an Payload plates for this.
I'll get started by creating myself a RockSim for my build.

Curious what you used for Launch Lug material and and for what diameter launch rod.
Any chance you have a photo showing the aft end view without motor installed?
And do you know what yours weighs in at empty, without a motor?

I do have to compliment you on your excellent craftsmanship and photography.

Thanks again,
Larry B
Old 01-01-2014, 12:14 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Thumbs up Jay's Centuri article: 11th anniversary

It's hard to believe it was way back in May 2002 when I visited Lee Piester and two of his Hobby Bench stores in Phoenix, Arizona. The results of that 20 minute interview led to my article "Lee Piester: An Unassuming Legend" in the Jan./Feb. 2003 issue of "Sport Rocketry."

Please consult the attachments on posts #2 and 3 of the following thread:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?p=79288

,,,to peruse my first 21st century (Centuri? ) contribution to our hobby.

Happy 2014, everybody!

Cheers,
Semroc SAM #0029
NAR 86131

"I think about organizing things all the time. Never seems to happen. I find something that piques my interest and I'm off on a quest. Or a Centuri. "

--Bill Eichelberger, 02/22/2022

“Centuri fret buzz in an updated form.”
Bill “Wallyum” Eichelberger re: Estes Flutter-By
03 Sept 2014
Old 01-01-2014, 12:37 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Hey Jay, now that you have brought up the subject of Centuri...

Does anyone have plans for the Centuri Phoenix Bird? Ye Olde Rocket Plans - nada. JimZ - nada.

I bought a couple of the Estes versions during the sale. I have an original fin unit (painted dark blue for some forgotten reason plus a second unit with the remains of a 24mm motor mount) and the plastic coupler. Trying to determine if I have the correct nosecone (PNC-136) as it was offered as a replacement part, but a length is not given. Figured I would use most of the foil decals from the Estes version. Would like to make a static model with the correct parts.

Same with the Estes version of the Long Tom. Have the Centuri plastic adapter and nose cone. Yes, I know the ST-13 and BT-55 are slightly different. May not have original body tubes, but should have those from our friends at SEMROC. Hopefully the new year will be better for them once they get through their current setbacks.

Chas
Old 01-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Centuri Phoenix Bird

Hi Chas,
If my memory serves me, I do believe I have 1 or 2 original Centuri Phoenix Bird bagged kits stuck away somewhere here.
I should also have an open set of the original Centuri Phoenix Bird instructions around here somewhere as well.

Regards,
Larry Broadbent
Old 01-01-2014, 02:53 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Thank you Larry. If you have the plans, that would be great. I have the SEMROC equivalent of the ST-13 handy. The nose cone I have is about 6" long, but I could not find a reference to the length of the PNC-136.

Started with Centuri in 1967 and found their designs more interesting than the other manufacturers. In addition to Estes, I was flying MRI, MPC, and CMR. Did not collect many original kits as I started flying competition in '68. Keep finding old parts, but not too many old kits in my collection.

Chas