Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM
Craftsman

perhaps...but I'm not holding my breath waiting.
Old 04-09-2012, 12:43 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Good luck getting any company to replace any OOP kit due to their engines damaging it. Seems like a legal precedent could easily be set here.
"Use our product for it's intended use and if it destroys your rocket you get NOTHING but another motor" seems to be a right they should not be able to reserve. If a product is defective in its intended use and it destroys said object and the device it is designed to propel seems to reason manufacturer should be responsible for everything damaged.

If the kit is OOP and worth $500 on ebay, it should be tuff roxx for the defective motor company, not the purchaser.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-09-2012, 01:04 PM
Craftsman

to be clear, my jayhawk kit IS still in production, and Madcow Rocketry is selling them like hot cakes.
Estes has offered me a Nike Smoke(since they don't currently have any jayhawks), since I doubt that I'll be able to think about building another jayhawk for quite some time...I'm gonna accept their offer.
Do I get any awards for the First reported cato .
rex
Old 04-09-2012, 01:29 PM

Oh ok...I thought that was either an OOP Estes Pro Series or original Centuri Magnumb-D Jayhawk.

Old 04-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex R
to be clear, my jayhawk kit IS still in production, and Madcow Rocketry is selling them like hot cakes.
Estes has offered me a Nike Smoke(since they don't currently have any jayhawks), since I doubt that I'll be able to think about building another jayhawk for quite some time...I'm gonna accept their offer.
Do I get any awards for the First reported cato .

Rex

They might pay you to keep quiet about the CATO; "they" would be either Estes or Aerotech.

Doubtful...

Allen
Old 04-09-2012, 03:07 PM

If a manufacturers gasoline is made incorrectly and causes your car's engine to EXPLODE, the oil company would be liable for the damage it caused; seems same should hold true for a rocket engine/fuel as well.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:47 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Good luck getting any company to replace any OOP kit due to their engines damaging it. Seems like a legal precedent could easily be set here.
"Use our product for it's intended use and if it destroys your rocket you get NOTHING but another motor" seems to be a right they should not be able to reserve. If a product is defective in its intended use and it destroys said object and the device it is designed to propel seems to reason manufacturer should be responsible for everything damaged.

Would you manufacture and sell rocket motors with that kind of a sword hanging over your head?

Then why expect Estes, AeroTech or Quest to?

In the world of gh, there is only ex...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 04-09-2012, 10:17 PM

MOST consumer product manufacturers DO in fact make products with that type of 'sword over their head' as you say, so why should rocket engines be any different ?

If the gas tank on an automobile explodes in a crash, the manufacturer does not just get to say "Here's a new gas tank for your smoldering heap of a car and it's crispy occupants, sorry for your luck !"
While this example may be extreme, in principle it is no different.

The standard should be no different for rocket engines, I say. As long as the product is used for it's intended purpose, the customer can reasonably expect it to not DESTROY the device it is intended to be used in.

Old 04-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Reptilian Rocketeer

Quote:
MOST consumer product manufacturers DO in fact make products with that type of 'sword over their head' as you say, so why should rocket engines be any different ?

If the gas tank on an automobile explodes in a crash, the manufacturer does not just get to say "Here's a new gas tank for your smoldering heap of a car and it's crispy occupants, sorry for your luck !"

The standard should be no different for rocket engines, I say. As long as the product is used for it's intended purpose, the customer can reasonably expect it to not DESTROY the device it is intended to be used in.

And I'm sure Ford will gladly replace that Model A when the tank explodes in a crash.

Liability of unlimited duration is one of the things that killed airplane manufacturing for general aviation. While it might be possible where liability rules are stable, in a legal environment like what is in the US you have know idea what the cost of liability will be 50 or 100 years down the road. And so you cannot get insurance, and without insurance, you cannot do business.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:11 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:

Cars catch on fire quite a bit, whether from a crash or a fuel leak. Unless the product can be proved to be defective from the factory, the incident goes into the "stuff happens" category.

If a power surge fries my computer, why doesn't the electric company buy me a new one? That is a better analogy to a rocket motor than anything you put forth.

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...