Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Current Kit Talk
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2015, 11:43 AM
BAR

What I did with the Estes igniters is re-dip with Quick Burst dip kit and then add clear finger nail polish . I have found using a 12 volt power source for clusters is not a problem using the re-dipped igniters.

NAR #91135 L1
SAM #0037

Last edited by johnnwwa : 08-17-2015 at 01:40 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 12:12 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
A great alternative to wimpy commercial igniters is to make your own.

I've built my own using small (26ga.) twinlead and Firefox Enterprises Liquid Element (SECPLEL), a conductive pyrogen. No bridge wire required. For black powder, the Liquid Element alone works great. If the dipped area is kept pretty small (like the Quest Q2G2), these will easily fit into BP motors.

For composites, a second dip in something like their Magnum Secondary Pyrogen (SECPMAG), gives a longer burn time and bigger spark.

This technique for composites can yield very compact igniter "heads", and fit small motors like the 24/40 and 29/40-120 hardware quite easily.

Here is the link to the "Ignition" page on Firefox website:
http://www.firefox-fx.com/ignition.htm

The website is a bit hard to find what you are looking for, but the above items are maybe 1/2 way down the "Ignition" page.
Lee,

Thanks for the link. Interesting stuff. I'm always looking for dependable igniters for small composites (D10s and D21s in particular) and have had good luck with Quickburst but this looks easier still.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've had no issues with the new Estes "starters" in BP motors. If you get the tip against the propellant and they're not shorted they work just fine, even with the little 9V battery-powered AstronII controller. (This may be redundant to an earlier post - but as I continue to fly it remains true )
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 08-17-2015, 01:25 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Bernard,

I forgot to mention -- the Liquid Element does require at least 9V, and up to 12V. I've not tried them 9V batteries because the 9V batteries tend to not provide much current, and they are expensive. I typically use a 12V gel cell. I've converted my Estes launch controller to run on 12V. I used a piezo buzzer on mine. I did this back when I was running school launches, and found it better than a continuity light -- every kid knew the launch was a "GO" when they heard the buzzer.

Firefox does sell a conductive primer that only needs about 1.5V. This might be a good way to "enhance" Estes Solar starters or homebrew nichrome igniters.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp

Last edited by LeeR : 08-17-2015 at 05:11 PM.