Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Scale & Sport Scale Rocketry
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2012, 09:55 PM
Master Modeler

Great build of a sadly under-produced launcher. As far a Gordy is concerned hevis simply tough to beat. He did some exceptional work on the Russian Vertikal sounding rocket, both the Cyrillic and the teeny tiny flags.

One suggestion; a corded pencil sharpener and a 1/4" dowel will give you a fairly reasonable set of engine bells. I suggest a corded sharpener is that there is a lot of torque to handle the wood.
"The complexity of living is eminently favored to the simplicity of not."
Old 09-22-2012, 10:22 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB.
Gordy also made the custom Shenzhou decals and they fit perfectly. The only glitch was when I installed the Chinese letters upside down. I was able to get them back on the carrier paper and re-orient them. (no pun intended). The blue of the decals was a very close match to the Sail Blue Rustoleum. I did have to slit the checkerboard patterns for the LRBs so the decal would fit over the fins. Other than that, no problems.

I guess Gordon forgot to tell you to hold the rocket upside down when applying those decals since China is on the opposite side of the world...

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 10-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Surfrajettes Fan

Just a quick update:

I had a further disaster: I accidently knocked the booster off my build table and to my horror, one of the LRBs popped off cleanly. (I was surprised as nothing had fallen off when I was flying it around the house making rocket noises.) Some poking with my fingernail revealed that its epoxy bond was very brittle. I jiggled one of the others and sure enough it popped off, too.

Well, to make a long story short, I ended up removing all four boosters. All of the epoxy was brittle and peeled off without any trouble at all. Heck, I didn't even blemish the paint. Then, because that's the way I roll, I started picking at the plastic standoffs the boosters had been glued to and sure enough they popped off the main tube as well, victims of the same brittle epoxy.

So now I'm working on new wooden standoffs. Hopefully, I'll get it back together this weekend and return to finishing the aeroshroud.

Awaiting First Launch: Too numerous to count
Finishing: Zooch Saturn V; Alway/Nau BioArcas; Estes Expedition; TLP Standard
Repair/Rescue: Cherokee-D (2); Centuri Nike-Smoke; MX-774
On the Bench: 2650;
Dream Stage: 1/39.37 R-7