Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2011, 11:29 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
I had to laugh when I had a girlfriend in northern New Jersey... I could barely understand some folks up there when I visited, because of the heavy brogue.
Well, yeah, but that's ... New Jersey!

By the way, I'm from Michigan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
Had to laugh at yall's sorry excuse for Mexican food as well...
Yeah, tell me about it... Killer pizza, though.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 11-05-2011, 11:39 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
I was joking, Blackshire. It's a Northeast/Southwest thing. I am expecting to hear from Doug or luke any time now.

Let's get back on topic.

EDIT: See? JR - perhaps I overreacted.

Ok, no prob...

I have my own predilections and I don't make any apologies for them, but I try not to be an insensitive A-hole either... BUT, you won't find anyone (with the possible exception of GH) who has nothing but UTTER CONTEMPT for political correctness than me.

I actually admire the Amish... I couldn't do the stuff they do (work that hard) but I admire and emulate their rather austere lifestyle. Life is SO much easier and more enjoyable when you aren't trying to 'outdo the Joneses" all the time... Yeah, I have electricity and keep the A/C set at 72 all summer here (the air conditioner ran pretty much nonstop from April to October-- so what!) and yeah I have a bigscreen TV, but our newest vehicle is an 02 Ford pickup that's been paid for for over a year with 250,000 miles on it. We bought it used two years old and paid HALF PRICE what a new one cost. We live in a ~2100 square foot mobile home here on the farm, which only cost us $46,000 because it was a demonstrator, and we actually pay more than our notes to shorten the loan repayment (and therefore save interest). We're debt free and do everything in our power to stay that way.

By comparison, my sister and BIL live in a brick home in town, NO nicer than our well-built mobile home (pretty much top-of-the-line, not the cheap el-crappo trailers you find at most places-- we had to HUNT to find it!) but she paid $175,000 for it (last I heard) and pays about $1,500 a month on her mortgage (ours is less than $400, but we pay $400 or so to pay the note down faster). They have an 04 F150 my BIL drives like a racecar and my sister drives an 05 Ford (next one up from the Focus, can't think of the name of it... lil' bitty "mid size" car). Together they make around $80,000 a year and they are in debt up to their eyeballs, can't even afford to get out of town for the weekend. We take several trips a year to various places, some near, some far... including two trips a year to Indiana to see the kinfolks... I have to take my nephews to NASA JSC because my sister and BIL are too broke to take them... so we all get a Happy Meal and go to the space center...

We live "cheap" but I dare say we live better than a LOT of folks do!

later! OL JR
Old 11-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Master Modeler

Growing up on Long Island, I never saw or ate anything even faux-Mexican until the late 70s. And that was a Jack In the Box burrito!

By turn-about, it's almost impossible to find really good bagels outside of the NYC area and a few neighborhoods here and there. (Like Squirrel Hill in Pittsburgh.) There are somewhat OK attempts, like from the Noah's Bagels chain, but in most parts of the country a bagel is a "roll with a hole." (And people get freaked out when you go 'round putting fish, onions, capers and cream cheese on a bagel.)
Old 11-05-2011, 11:47 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I think there may be a terminology confusion thing here.

When I hear "star and bars," I think of the Air Force insignia.

Here:

Googling, I see "stars and bars" (plural stars) brings up hits on the Confederate flag.

Umm.. yeah...

"Stars and Bars" was the informal name for the Confederate flag, just as the "Stars and Stripes" is for the US flag.

I have NO problem with the Confederate flag. In fact I'm rather bemused and slightly offended (as if anyone cares) that they no longer "allow" the Confederate flag (Stars-n-Bars) to be flown as one of the six flags that flew over Texas... Oh, that racist, bigoted insensitive "Confederate Battle Flag" as they call it... I call BS. Now they fly some weird Confederate Naval Ensign or whatever as the supposed "official" or "real" Confederate flag (thanks to revisionist historians trying to be PC) in lieu of the Confederate flag that everyone remotely connected to the Confederacy instantly knew and recognized.

I have several family members that fought for the Union as well. I'm still a Rebel at heart-- it's criminal what the Fed'l Gubmint in DC has done to this country... I don't espouse some of the beliefs that motivated some in the Confederate hierarchy (neither did most of the "common folks" in the Confederacy or the Confederate Army for that matter) but I certainly agree with the "Rebel" idea that we don't need no stinkin' Fed'l Gubmint 2,000 miles away telling us what to do, especially when they've done nothing but make a complete hash of it!

Later! OL JR
Old 11-06-2011, 12:02 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
Well, yeah, but that's ... New Jersey!

By the way, I'm from Michigan.

Yeah, tell me about it... Killer pizza, though.

Visited her kin in ALL-bany (they thought that was just the funniest thing ever when I called it "AL-bany" like we typically would in Texas-- course I should talk; I get miffed when my Hoosier wife calls it "Col-uh-RAD-OH" or "Neh-VAD-uh" instead of "Col-uh-ROD-OH" or "Neh-VOD-uh"...

Gotta laugh at yall Yankees...

The holidays are a hoot when we get into the "Yankee" stuff... LOL

Later! OL JR

PS. This time last year, at about 10:15 pm, my MIL, Eula Smith, passed away in the hospital in Goshen after a fairly brief illness brought on by a rare skin cancer... I arrived after a two day drive from Texas about 15 minutes after she passed away, because I had hit a deer down between Peru and Wabash and had to make some emergency repairs to the car and drive with one headlight in a sudden rather heavy wet snowstorm for the last 50 miles or so...

Rest in Peace, Eula... she was a good woman and very kind, even to crusty old fart Texans like me... (and yeah, we did rib each other pretty good... she was an unrepentant Republican patriotic gubmint-loving flag waver, and I'm an indepedent Rebel type Fed'l gubmint hatin' cowboy... can't get much different than that... but we could have some LONG discussions and respected each other very much... )
Old 11-06-2011, 12:31 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
It's seen as an inflammatory, anti-black, redneck thing, which in some cases I'm sure is true. In my case, I'm both a history major who enjoys reading civil war history books and a child raised in the day when General Lee was a 1969 Dodge Charger. I bought a stars and bars in Lexington, Virginia while on vacation after graduating from high school, just because I thought it was cool and would have killed to have a Dodge Charger to replicate it on. I got a stars and bars bandana wrapped around a bottle of Southern Comfort from my two best friends when I turned 21. The front license plate on every car I owned and drove between the ages of 19 and 23 was a Rebel Yell plate (which I still have,) which I thought was cool because no one else had one except for me and the above-mentioned friends. All this and my family fought for the Union.
Where I'm from (Miami), "stars and bars" meant the USAF insignia. We just called the other one "the rebel flag," and lots of them were displayed at the Hialeah Speedway (the cities of Coral Gables, Hialeah, and Miami are all very close to each other--Miami adjoins the other two) during races and demolition derbies when I was growing up. Also:

Regarding the racial aspect of the rebel flag, that isn't so black-and-white (no pun intended). In 1987, a few days after a local radio talk host (who was from Marble Head, Massachusetts) spoke about how racist and offensive the rebel flag was, I saw no fewer than six black people either wearing rebel flag T-shirts or with rebel flag plates on their vehicles; while many black people do find the rebel flag offensive, not all of them do (especially in the South).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 11-07-2011, 11:23 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I LIKE the fact that YORF pays almost ZERO attention to being PC, unlike that mamby pamby site that is overmoderated by a bunch of weenie censor HACKS.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-21-2011, 01:15 AM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

I apologize for going back on topic.

Here's my vintage Estes Aero-Hi model.

I flew it once or twice over thirty years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Estes Aero Hi.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  21.8 KB  
Old 11-21-2011, 01:33 AM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I apologize for going back on topic.

Here's my vintage Estes Aero-Hi model.

I flew it once or twice over thirty years ago.
I love it, Bob! I see that you were able to fit the name vertically into the while band at the top of the airframe. That gave me quite a bit of trouble. The Estes instructions give the width of the white area, which includes the double-stripe decal and the "Aero-Hi" name, as 1-1/2 inches, and that is the width of mine. But as you can see, once I applied the stripe decal, I didn't have quite enough room left for the entire Aero-Hi text block. I ended up trimming the "i" off of the end and positioning it on the nose cone! (And wasn't that fun.) I used reproduction decals from Excelsior, which appear to be identical in size to those shown in the scan in the plans at JimZ's site.

I don't think the error is in the decals, but rather in the kit instructions. In Step 6 they instruct the builder to glue the raceway onto the tube so that it's forward end is 1-5/8" aft of the forward end of the tube. If the white area was supposed to extend from the forward end of the tube to the forward end of the raceway (which appears to be the case), then a space of 1-5/8 would have been sufficient for both decals. The 1-1/2" width shown in the painting guide at the beginning of the instructions is apparently an error, then; it should have said 1-5/8". Apparently I positioned the raceway on mine to conform to the dimension shown on the diagram on the front page of the instructions instead of using the dimension stated in the text of the instructions.

Here's the link to the other thread where I posted my pictures of my Aero-Hi and a couple of other Mini Brutes.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011