Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2008, 05:10 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
.. unless you used 1/2A-0 or B14-0 boosters!
And the grass was short...and the winds were calm...

Doug...wondering if anybody ever taught a dog to fetch boosters....

YORF member #11
Old 10-02-2008, 05:23 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
Yes, as a matter of fact I have. Of 10 or so 3-stage flights (including several non-Comanches), I've only lost one sustainer. Both my Comanche flights recovered all three stages including a full D-C-C stack at LDRS in 2006.

For most, I think what usually gets lost is the 2nd stage. That seems to be harder to track than the sustainer. That's why I usually try to get four other folks to help me. 1 on the 1st stage, 2 on the 2nd, and 2 (including me) on the sustainer. That is, get backup trackers on both the sustainer and the 2nd stage.

Staging is definitely not a solo event

Doug

I usually got the second stages of Farsides back. the Commanche stages are just so small, comparatvely.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:20 PM
Master Modeler

I went out to my parents' house after work today. They pick up my son after school about once a week and then I retrieve him after work.

So I managed to gather up most of the rocket remnants out there. I owned a Comanche long after my main bout of rocketry. I mostly stopped in '75, but I guess I had a brief resurgence in 87 - 89 given the model bits I remember and have found laying about.

Anyway, I remember losing that comanche upper stage. Today, at my folks' house I found both of the lower stages, so apparently I didn't have any trouble recovering my lower stages. It was the top that got away.

I also found my Goblin, a Scrambler (the X3 cluster with clear payload tube), a slightly banged up X-wing fighter, a very very banged up Klingon ship and Enterprise, some interesting original designs (well interesting to me), a mostly burned Midget (the mini-engine version) which, if memory serves is actually a clone I built of my original Midget, a clone of the Orbital Transport which I built after I lost my original booster. I still had most or all of the fin patterns, but I kind of remember sizing the body tubes by measuring the photographs and scaling the tubes based on the relative sizes of the fin photos and patterns. I found both the original glider and the copy, but the copy has a wing broken at the root. Oh, and my Saturn V, which seems pretty well built, but the escape tower is missing. And at least one of the nozzels from the display that you insert when the thing isn't flying. Oh, and three of the four tiny fins are broken off and I can't open the thing. I'll need to look at the on-line plans to remember where it's supposed to separate. I also found my (balsa) Mercury capsule, again missing the escape tower with the wrap nicely attached, but no sign of any of the rest of the Mercury. I can't remember what happened to that thing. But if I lost it in a launch why would I still have the capsule?

Oh, and I found my old Valkyrie. That was actually my first rocket, a cold power. The fins are completely gone, but the tank and pressure release dingus and the upper parachute compartment and nose cone are all there. I need to hunt the nozzle, metal pin and the plug. I know I've seen that nozzle somewhere. I guess I need the fill tool too, if I ever want to try to launch it again. First, I'll need to find some of the plastic stuff you use to hold on the balsa fins.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:02 AM
FlisKits, Inc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl@Semroc
.. unless you used 1/2A-0 or B14-0 boosters!

Or a Frick-n-Frack

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/
Old 10-30-2008, 07:38 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKPilot

<snip>

4) It was announced elsewhere that the Shrox designed rockets have been shelved and may never be released. Thereby, if I understand licensing right, means Shrox will never be allowed to sell these designs on his own.

I received an e-mail from Tower Hobbies today informing me that my backorder for the Shrox/Estes Daedalus and Lancer kits has been cancelled as these items are no longer available.

Bob
Old 10-30-2008, 08:04 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
I received an e-mail from Tower Hobbies today informing me that my backorder for the Shrox/Estes Daedalus and Lancer kits has been cancelled as these items are no longer available.

Which is one of the reasons why I made the comment of I'll believe it when I see it when they announced the classic kit series. I can go back through the Vendor forum and find all kinds of other kits they announced that were never to be seen as well.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 10-30-2008, 08:13 PM
Master Modeler

Yep, I agree. I'll believe the new releases when they are on the shelves. Until then, believing in Estes promises will leave you upset everytime. Cloning is the best way to get Classic Estes designs.....or maybe ebay.
Old 10-30-2008, 10:42 PM
Forest Sprite

Well, there's nothing wrong with registering your response to a new product announcement, since it doesn't cost you a dime. I'm sure that vendors pay close attention to these reactions, too, and that they may even play a role in the decision by certain companies in some cases to finally greenlight the production of the items. As always, though, the proof is in the pudding, but you can't (or shouldn't, anyway ) buy a new product until it is actually put up for sale. In the meantime, it doesn't cost anything to discuss a vendor's new product announcement and to register an opinion, even if the product ultimately turns into vapor.

It is worth noting, though, that many vendors, such as Semroc and FlisKits, refrain from making new product announcements until the item is in production and is ready, or nearly ready, to be released for sale. When you read new product announcements from these companies, you never have any doubt that you will actually be able to purchase the items, and very soon, too, if not immediately.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011

Last edited by Mark II : 10-30-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Shrox/Estes Daedalus and Lancer
Bob

Which SHROX designs were these supposed to be?

I'll guess the Lancer was the Stiletto design.
Not sure about the other one.
Old 10-31-2008, 10:11 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark II
It is worth noting, though, that many vendors, such as Semroc and FlisKits, refrain from making new product announcements until the item is in production and is ready, or nearly ready, to be released for sale. When you read new product announcements from these companies, you never have any doubt that you will actually be able to purchase the items, and very soon, too, if not immediately.

Mark \\.

Well, almost always...Semroc's a little behind their planned release of the Stryker, Visitor and Tau Zero from Christmas 2007 , but I guess we can let them slide once in a while, and as anyone who's shot the breeze with Jim Flis can tell you about his unoffical product release plans, the more he gets done the behinder he gets .