Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Got my Golden Scout certificate today! Gotta LOVE that special Penrose postmark honoring Vern and Gleda! Wow! Really great! A big thank you to RD and Semroc for their efforts to make this happen, and, of course, to Vern and Gleda for their participation!

Joe
Old 09-04-2008, 04:46 PM
Distant cousin

My certificate arrived in Melbourne, Australia on the 2nd. I have to echo the thoughts of others here; an absolutely fantastic project and the certificate and postmark are the icing on the cake!
Old 09-04-2008, 08:52 PM
7/21/61

Like everything else in this project, the certificates are absolutely first rate.

Very nicely done, as were the address labels with the flight numbers.

And the postmark was the piece de resistance.

It would never have occured to me to try to arrange for a special postmark. How one goes about getting one approved is a total mystery to me. The only other place I routinely see special postmarks like that is on the commemorative space first day cancellation envelopes I see for sale on ebay. Really a fantastic idea, guys!

Congratulations again on completing such a wonderful project. It was incredibly well conceived, organized, and executed, from start to finish.
Old 09-04-2008, 09:42 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus

It would never have occured to me to try to arrange for a special postmark. How one goes about getting one approved is a total mystery to me. The only other place I routinely see special postmarks like that is on the commemorative space first day cancellation envelopes I see for sale on ebay. Really a fantastic idea, guys!

Of course it helps when the existence of the post office itself is owed to the honorees.

(not THE Post Office, but the Penrose Post Office, of course!)
Old 09-04-2008, 10:15 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Like everything else in this project, the certificates are absolutely first rate.

Very nicely done, as were the address labels with the flight numbers.

And the postmark was the piece de resistance.

Congratulations again on completing such a wonderful project. It was incredibly well conceived, organized, and executed, from start to finish.

Vern and Gleda arranged for the special postmark through the efforts of the postmaster at the Penrose post office.

There were some conditions that had to be met, and, the final design submitted and approved.

This is special as mail from that area goes to Colorado Springs to be processed.

When was the last time that you received mail postmarked "Penrose"?

Those were the good old days, the Penrose postmark and the Estes Industries logo on the boxes and all the great kits,supplies and motors contained within.

And, the CATALOGS.................
Old 09-04-2008, 10:26 PM
Master Modeler

Got my two Golden Scout certificates last week (couldn't post to this effect as my computer
has been off-line until early this week). As others have mentioned, even the envelope with
the special post marks is really cool. I was careful to use a sharp knife to carefully cut a slit
on one end so the envelopes would look untouched.

I plan to get four frames for my certificates; two for the certificates and two for the envelopes.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:51 PM
The_Ripper

I finally got my frames and case set up to display my Golden Scout.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Golden Scout Display.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  159.7 KB  
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-14-2008, 09:00 AM
Master Modeler

Very cool! Where did you find the display case?
SAM #0396
BAR 02/07
NAR 86940
KF4GUL
Aim high, fly straight!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:09 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherjon
Very cool! Where did you find the display case?

Jon,

I ordered the case from here:

http://www.casesforcollectibles.com/

It is the 4x4x8 Acrylic Box. Although the site states that all dimension are "inside dimensions" the 4x4x7" Acrylic Box is too small, even though the Golden Scout is less than 7" tall. They do not take into consideration the base taking up some of the inside dimension.

The frames are the inexpensive acrylic stand up frames from Michael's (use the 50% off coupons).

I spent a little money on this set up but most of the inexpensive doll cases I found were really cheap looking and an upside down mason jar just didn't seem appropriate given the significance of this event and how proud I am to have a signed model. My name tag fits in the case and I thought it looked really good displayed in that manner.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-18-2008, 08:00 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
I finally got my frames and case set up to display my Golden Scout.

FANTASTIC Steve