Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Projects
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-26-2017, 10:06 PM
Master Modeler

Default Estes Baby Bertha Build with Aergloss Sealer Replacement

Since Midwest stopped making Aerogloss Sealer, I had to try something else that works as well, CWF and papering is out of the question for my KISS building style. Also Sig Sealer does not work very well. Brodak makes a balsa sealer that I have never tried until know. I bought a small 4oz can to give it a try. I bought a Baby Bertha from HL with my 40 percent coupon for 6 bucks, not bad. I have always liked the Baby Bertha design but now the black color and stick on decal. Any way on with my Brodak experience as a replacement for Aerogloss. The Brodak sealer smell like the old Aerogloss from the 70s and 80s and is much thinner than Aerogloss Sealer. I opened the can and stirred the sealer and began brushing it on my sanded fins. Brodak brushes on much easier than Aerogloss and dries much faster. My first coat was on the lite side, I was brushing it on like Aerogloss. With Aerogloss if the coat is too thick, it takes longer to dry and more sanding. So I let my first coat dry for 20 min and sanded with 320, I can say it sands easy and fast. After sanding I brushed on another coat but more liberal, once again it brushed on great. I did this 3 more times not counting the first lite coat. At first I thought it would be too thin with minimal filler, but I was surprised after sanding how much grain was filled. Of course it is a Dope product so the smell is still there, but I like nostalgia. The next day I decided to paint the rocket and see how well the sealer worked. I am doing my own color and decals so I am using Testors Enamel spray since I am using a flat color. Since it is enamel I first primed the rocket lightly with Testors Lacquer primer. This is not a filler primer so I don't have to sand before spraying my color coat. I was impressed after the primer dried how well the sealer worked on the grain and I hope I have a replacement for Aerogloss. I will be ordering more sealer and will have to see how well it works on my vintage builds. Brodak sells a white primer but it is not a filler like Aergloss filler. I contacted Brodak and they told me it would not work well as a filler and requires wet sanding for a smooth finish, and the primer is better sprayed so I will not be trying it. Brodak sells 16 oz cans of their sealer so I will place an order and transfer the sealer into smaller 4 oz jars.
I also posted a picture of the same Baby Bertha nose that Estes has changed over time. When the rain stops I will finish my Baby Bertha.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0263 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 59
Size:  351.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0267 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 62
Size:  354.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0270 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 56
Size:  298.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0277 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 42
Size:  315.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0282 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 31
Size:  260.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0286 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 24
Size:  272.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  DSC_0290 (1024x681).jpg
Views: 68
Size:  252.9 KB  
Old 02-26-2017, 10:31 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Did you order directly from Brodak?

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 02-26-2017, 11:42 PM
Master Modeler

What Lee asked. Also, that looks really good. I've been using a Varathane water-based sanding sealer since I've been BAR'd (actually still working off the last of the quart can I bought several years ago now) but I like the results you got a lot better than what I generally get.....
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 03-05-2017, 11:55 AM
Master Modeler

Sorry, yes I ordered directly from Brodak.
I finished my Baby Bertha, once again a great deal at Hobby Lobby for 6 bucks. This was my first attempt at a replacement for Aerogloss sealer and I will try Brodak on my vintage builds to see how that goes with the older balsa. I sprayed one coat of non filler primer and a coat of Testors enamel spray paint. I followed that with my airbrush for the camo. I used some very old Monogram decals and she is ready for flight. Sorry about the poor pictures, my wife has her camera with her out of town.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  rocket 1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  122.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rocket 2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  134.9 KB  
Old 03-05-2017, 12:42 PM
Craftsman

That looks fantastic ! I have always been a fan of Axis aircraft and the mottle looks right at home on this.
Old 03-05-2017, 02:58 PM
Old Submariner

Thanks for the in-depth write up on the Brodak! I'll need a replacement for my Aeroglass when my supply is exhausted. I have a lot of it--but I USE a lot of it.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 03-06-2017, 12:11 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The Brodak product is great and far better than Sig.
Aero Gloss Sanding sealer USED to be as thin as Brodak before Testors then Midwest took over production of Pactra's Aero Gloss line.
When Aero Gloss Sanding Sealer and Balsa Fillercoat were actually produced by Pactra Chemical and not a subsidiary of Testors or Midwest, they were thinned properly right out of the jar/can just like Brodak products.
Incidentally, Brodak does NOT manufacture it's own Dopes/Thinners; they are re-packaged Randolph Coatings products; it says so right on the Brodak jars/cans.
If you need a LOT such as Gallon or even Quart quantities, it is more economical to get it from Randolph.

I don't know HOW one could be a fan of ANY of the WWII Axis aircraft. EVERY SINGLE ONE of them other than the ME163 and ME262 was downright FUGLY compared to ANY of the allied aircraft.

The JU-87 Stuka, FW-190, and BF-109 looked like they were DELIBERATELY designed to be UGLY.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 03-06-2017, 01:11 PM
Master Modeler

I know Randolph makes their dope, but what does Randolph make that is the equivalent for balsa sealer?
Old 03-06-2017, 10:22 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Brodak/Randolph offer Sanding Sealer, but they don't have a product that is the true equivalent to Balsa Fillercoat.
One can very easily make their own Balsa Fillercoat by using One Part unscented Talcum Powder to Four Parts Clear Butyrate Dope. One could also use Clear Nirrate Dope as well, but I would not suggest it as Nitrate burns almost explosively upon exposure to any flame.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !