Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Indiana -- glad you posted about this product!

I just bought a bottle last night -- had never noticed it before. In fact, I had to look hard to find it at Lowes -- it was kind of hidden amongst all the glues.

From my experiment for fin fillets, this stuff sure seems to be a perfect glue. I haven't tried sanding it (and it says it is sandable), but I put on such a fine application and wiped it with my finger, and it did not run. As near as I can tell, it did not shrink either. So, I think it is ready to prime and paint.

I do a lot of glue-ups of thin wood strips for cutting boards and platters, so I'm interested in giving it a try for this, too.

This is Titebond I, isn't it? (Is it yellow or is it white in color?) Does it have a red label? There is also Titebond II and III. T-II has a blue label, and T-III has a green one. T-II is a rich yellow in color, and T-III is brown. I have never used T-1, but I have used the others (mainly T-III). I also have used Titebond White Glue, too.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011
Old 01-15-2009, 07:30 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Somewhere in the forum, someone was kind enough to post the difference between the three Titebonds and the best suited application for each. I'm too lazy to do the search.....
Old 01-15-2009, 08:38 AM
Craftsman

You're welcome Lee. I must not be expressive enough when I mention this stuff because I think most people would have a reaction similar to yours and mine if they tried it. It's almost like they made it just for making fillets on low power rockets. Next time I post about it I'll add a bunch of exclamation points and profanity!

BTW, NOT sandable.

Mark, this is not Titebond 1. It is white and has a consistancy somewhere between Elmers all-purpose and paste.

It has a bond strength (on Maple) of 3,000 PSI vs. 3,750 for Titebond II.
Old 01-15-2009, 10:22 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
Indiana -- glad you posted about this product!

I just bought a bottle last night -- had never noticed it before. In fact, I had to look hard to find it at Lowes -- it was kind of hidden amongst all the glues.

From my experiment for fin fillets, this stuff sure seems to be a perfect glue. I haven't tried sanding it (and it says it is sandable), but I put on such a fine application and wiped it with my finger, and it did not run. As near as I can tell, it did not shrink either. So, I think it is ready to prime and paint.

I do a lot of glue-ups of thin wood strips for cutting boards and platters, so I'm interested in giving it a try for this, too.

Hmmm... molding and trim glue eh?? I'm going to have to give that a try.

I've heard people RAVE about Titebond, especially Titebond II for a long time. I've always used Elmer's Yellow glue but I sure have noticed a lot of shrinkage on some recent projects.

I picked up a bottle like this in the hardware store the other day. It says, "Titeblond II Dark Wood Glue"... I was all excited because I thought I had the same thing as in your pic, but then when I zoomed the pic I noticed your Titeblond is molding and trim glue.

I'll have to try that... OL JR