Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2012, 07:05 PM
Level 5 Certified

Default NORTH COAST ROCKETRY TEMPEST 2 PROTO KIT – Never Released!

After the initial release of kits for the North Coast Rocketry by Estes in 1996, work began on a set of follow on releases. One of the kits being developed was the NCR Tempest 2, based on the earlier Tempest kit produced by NCR in the 1994-95 timeframe. The Tempest 2 was targeted to be a low-cost introductory level kit, perhaps to be placed in a starter set. The Tempest 2 used a fin design similar to the original Tempest fin design, but was designed around a new Estes 2.0” diameter tube. The kit was to use a new blow-molded plastic nose cone. The design was to incorporate thru-the-wall fins and the NCR motor retainer. With a super lightweight design, it was designed to take full advantage of the Dark Star F62-9 and G70-10 composite motors that were also scheduled for release. This kit was never released.
Proposed Specs were:
Diameter: 2.0”
Length: 43.5 inches long
Weight: 10.5 oz.
Parachute: 24” Nylon
The prototype kits we were using did not have the plastic nose cone; instead we used balsa ones to simulate the plastic noses. We also did not have the body tube slotted for the prototype kits. There are no decals, as the paint scheme was not finalized.
This auction is for one of these prototype kits. I figure it might as well see the light of day, rather than sit in my basement. I will include a signed “certificate of authenticity” with each kit.
NOTE: The listing photo shows the original Tempest, not the Tempest 2. It is there to give you a sense of proportion. Although we built and flew some of these, I have no photos of the finished prototype.

Take a look, even if you are not interested in bidding. A bit of obscure history!

Matt

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...em=321021270817
Old 11-11-2012, 02:05 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
but was designed around a new Estes 2.0” diameter tube.

Where are you getting these tubes?

Bill

If your June, July, August and September was like this, you might just hate summer too...

Please unload your question before you ask it unless you have a concealed harry permit.

: countdown begin cr dup . 1- ?dup 0= until cr ." Launch!" cr ;

Give a man a rocket and he will fly for a day; teach him to build and he will spend the rest of his days sanding...
Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Level 5 Certified

Oh, those were tubes NCR had made in 1994 or so. I do not have any left.

Matt
Old 11-13-2012, 07:44 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Hey Matt,

You were responsible for me geting into HPR back in 1992. I ordered one of your Patriot kits, and flew it at NARCON (Hartsel Colorado in May of '92).

I abandoned HPR about 10 years agobut still do custom stuff on a slightly smaller scale -- mostly old model rockets, and scale ups of old classics.

Just last month I found a bunch of odd-sized tubes I bought from NCR for 50 cents each> They are around 2.23" ID. No nose cones, or centering rings, but a wood lathe solved that problem. I just started making laser-cut centering rings for these tubes.

If you have any more of these tubes, let me know ... :-)

Lee Reep

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 11-18-2012, 02:47 PM
Level 5 Certified

Lee;

Sorry, those tubes are long gone.

Matt