Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-26-2009, 01:14 PM
Level 1

Default Vintage motors

It's been a year since signing in here, but I miss it, so I'll make a better effort to attend.

Quick question: Over the last year I've acquired 2 sets of vintage misc. parts and motors.....non of which will be built, flown, or used...( I've got plenty of new crap for that), and since I'm a bit of a nostalgia nut, all pieces will just be display goodies.

The motors are my real concern. The count is up toward 30 or so of various sizes, A10, through D13's. I see printed dates on quite a few, (4-22-71 etc), and appear to be in new shape....no staining or loose cases, pretty much just as they were made. I've never given any thought to value, just collect vintage as I find em. Due the motors from the early 70's have any dollar significance?

Thx for any and all help.

Scott
Old 07-27-2009, 11:16 AM
GET GOONY!!

I collect vintage motors, and have well over 800 in my collectioin these days. I will take a crack at answering this....

It all depends.... C6-7s from 1971 are not worth as much as A3-0Ts. Vintage C6-7s are common, and A3-0Ts have been out of production for some time. D-13s are real gems as they were replaced by D12s in a year or so. Sealed motor tubes or diamond tubes are worth more than if open. Centuri motors are worth a bit more than equivalent age ESTES as Centuri motors are no longer in production.

Many rocketeers see motors only as rocket propellent devices. They mostly could care less when they were made, as long as they will launch a rocket. To these non collecting flyers, a vintage motor is worth a buck or two, as there is no way to tell if the motors were stored properly. Even one summer/winter in the attic could cause catos from heat cycling.

To those rocketeers who are interested in vintage motors, dollar values are hard to nail down. This is especially true as EBAY will not allow the sale of rocket motors. It does not help that the shipping of model rocket motors is difficuilt and/or expensive.

Right now, I coillect all that I can, trade with other collectors and sell only those vintage motors that are very common. For example I had 26 C6-7s from 1970. I sold them at NARAM 50 for a buck a piece. OIn the oither hand, I also paid several hundred dollars for vintage and foreign motors at the NARAM 50 auction. My wife was not too happy about this, but then she does not enjoy staring at 1960's Coaster Super Jet motors like I do.

Phred

GET GOONY!!