Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 07:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal Miller
Roger T., the one thing that no one has told you is you should do some research.
Don't just list these kits, but first look at some other auctions and see how the items were
listed, the length of the auctions, starting price, even consider the day and time the auction will end. I could not bid on an item and it sold for a lot less than I would have bid,
because I was at work and was to busy . I can hear the snarling and mashing of teeth.
A guy I know from Palm Beach Florida just sold a large collection of Centuri kits on Ebay,
and there have been some of the earlier Centuri kits posted from time to time.

I Love Centuri Model Rockets, My first was a Javelin way back in 1966.
If you sell them good luck to you.

Neil,

My first rocket was a Centuri Micron. I still remember cutting out the mail-in coupon from a Dracula comic book back in the very early 70's. I waited 4 weeks (today most would file a complaint with paypal or the BBB) for the box to arrive... was hooked ever since!

I found the Centuri kits to be harder to assemble than the Estes and after a while, I just chose Estes kits because I could get them assembled and into the air faster.

See, the economy isn't effecting model rocket sells because the people who are bidding on ebay are [mostly] employed, have high-tech related jobs in the high 5 figure 6 figure range.

Think about it, who can afford anything today? Answer: People with HIGH paying jobs. Where are the high paying jobs? Are they in garbage collecting? Are they in FEDEX/UPS deliveries? Are they bus drivers or office managers? Nope, the jobs paying incomes where people can buy lavishly are in areas that were spurned by the space age some 40 years ago.

Is it ANY wonder that many of the people on here are engineers, computer techs, technology freaks, middle-old age nerds? No.

My first electrical schematic was that of a Centuri launcher. My first understanding of a resistor and its use to produce heat was that of a model rocket igniter. Squibs to those who fly the professional stuff.

Also, during the Great Depression, only 1 in 4 work capable Americans were out of a job. If you had a job, things really weren't that bad. Not to go political, but the current economic issues in America are artificially produced. The current administration is deliberately making the situation worse so its easier for them to get a power grab. No other reason. Under a more constitutional administration, we would have been recovered completely by now, but most Americans are knuckle-heads and destined for civil strife and/or civil war. I digress...

Its not surprising that model rockets are still fetching high prices. Look at the people who where kids 30 - 50 years ago and the types of professions they now have today. I'm working, and by God's blessing, I can and do afford a lot of toys that other people would find it hard to purchase: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...m_60_Inch_.html

I just order two of these planes. Yes that is me, the 'Jonathan D' posting down in the discussion section.

People like you and I made the sacrifices some 30+ years ago to forgo parties, sex with as many people we could. We ere Nerds, out casts, but in the end, we saw the future and better prepared ourselves for it; Aesop's fable, 'The Grasshopper and the Ant' comes to mind. Most of us are Ants and we survive the winters. This winter we are now in, we will survive, not matter where Obama or any other force takes us. Congratulations!

Jonathan

Now we break into , 'We are the Champions' by Queen!

http://youtu.be/04854XqcfCY
Old 11-25-2012, 09:47 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Roger T., the one thing that no one has told you is you should do some research.
Don't just list these kits, but first look at some other auctions and see how the items were
listed, the length of the auctions, starting price, even consider the day and time the auction will end. I could not bid on an item and it sold for a lot less than I would have bid,
because I was at work and was to busy . I can hear the snarling and mashing of teeth.
A guy I know from Palm Beach Florida just sold a large collection of Centuri kits on Ebay,
and there have been some of the earlier Centuri kits posted from time to time.

I Love Centuri Model Rockets, My first was a Javelin way back in 1966.
If you sell them good luck to you.

Neal-

Nice Enerjet 1340-20 there. Clone.....or an extremely rare original? I recently picked up a used Enerjet Eggcrate off eBay to get the original egg capsule to make a clone of this kit. I've been saving an early red/orange Enerjet fin can to go along with the build.

What were you flying yours on in the photo? Just curious....

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 11-25-2012, 09:50 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
The bad economy didn't stop a partially assembled KS-8 1/45 Little Joe II kit sell for $465 (including shipping) a few minutes ago.

Yeah, I saw that. Pretty amazing. I guess there are always exceptions.

Neal mentioned the kits that were listed by our friend in Palm Beach. His starting prices were fairly close to what I would consider the kits to be worth, but yet only about 25% of them actually sold. Guess the market thinks they are worth less than I do.

I hate rules.
Old 11-25-2012, 09:59 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by harsas
Yeah, I saw that. Pretty amazing. I guess there are always exceptions.

Neal mentioned the kits that were listed by our friend in Palm Beach. His starting prices were fairly close to what I would consider the kits to be worth, but yet only about 25% of them actually sold. Guess the market thinks they are worth less than I do.

Harold-

Yeah, I think I was the buyer on those that sold. I bid on 3-4 late issue Centuri kits from around the '81-'83 timeframe that I did not have as of yet. I think I was the only bidder on each one. But, I suspect the later releases from Centuri probably are not as popular as their earlier stuff. And I was basically rounding out those later years stuff myself so the collection would be 'more' complete.

BTW, I got the item from you safe and sound about a week ago or so. Thanks for the prompt shipment.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Neal-

Nice Enerjet 1340-20 there. Clone.....or an extremely rare original? I recently picked up a used Enerjet Eggcrate off eBay to get the original egg capsule to make a clone of this kit. I've been saving an early red/orange Enerjet fin can to go along with the build.

What were you flying yours on in the photo? Just curious....

Earl

This 1340-20 is a clone, I did not get to fly the rocket that day as I left home with out my
launch supply's. so I used the time for the photo opt. I had an original 1340-20, but I was
relieved of it along with a MARS Project and a Mini Max Scorpion, by I don't know who .
the theft happened at a launch back in the 1990's the original 1340-20 had the same paint job as the clone.

FYI: the original 1340 had a 29mm mount, it flew great on a F25 Aerotech,
the new model only has a 24mm mount and I have only flown it on a Estes D12-5.
it flew nice and strait, but only about 600-700'.
I am getting wimpy in my old age.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:08 PM
Master Blaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohetero-negro
Neil,

My first rocket was a Centuri Micron. I still remember cutting out the mail-in coupon from a Dracula comic book back in the very early 70's. I waited 4 weeks (today most would file a complaint with paypal or the BBB) for the box to arrive... was hooked ever since!

I found the Centuri kits to be harder to assemble than the Estes and after a while, I just chose Estes kits because I could get them assembled and into the air faster.

See, the economy isn't effecting model rocket sells because the people who are bidding on ebay are [mostly] employed, have high-tech related jobs in the high 5 figure 6 figure range.

Think about it, who can afford anything today? Answer: People with HIGH paying jobs. Where are the high paying jobs? Are they in garbage collecting? Are they in FEDEX/UPS deliveries? Are they bus drivers or office managers? Nope, the jobs paying incomes where people can buy lavishly are in areas that were spurned by the space age some 40 years ago.

Is it ANY wonder that many of the people on here are engineers, computer techs, technology freaks, middle-old age nerds? No.

My first electrical schematic was that of a Centuri launcher. My first understanding of a resistor and its use to produce heat was that of a model rocket igniter. Squibs to those who fly the professional stuff.

Also, during the Great Depression, only 1 in 4 work capable Americans were out of a job. If you had a job, things really weren't that bad. Not to go political, but the current economic issues in America are artificially produced. The current administration is deliberately making the situation worse so its easier for them to get a power grab. No other reason. Under a more constitutional administration, we would have been recovered completely by now, but most Americans are knuckle-heads and destined for civil strife and/or civil war. I digress...

Its not surprising that model rockets are still fetching high prices. Look at the people who where kids 30 - 50 years ago and the types of professions they now have today. I'm working, and by God's blessing, I can and do afford a lot of toys that other people would find it hard to purchase: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/...m_60_Inch_.html

I just order two of these planes. Yes that is me, the 'Jonathan D' posting down in the discussion section.

People like you and I made the sacrifices some 30+ years ago to forgo parties, sex with as many people we could. We ere Nerds, out casts, but in the end, we saw the future and better prepared ourselves for it; Aesop's fable, 'The Grasshopper and the Ant' comes to mind. Most of us are Ants and we survive the winters. This winter we are now in, we will survive, not matter where Obama or any other force takes us. Congratulations!

Jonathan

Now we break into , 'We are the Champions' by Queen!

http://youtu.be/04854XqcfCY

Jonathan-
I would not stereo type myself like that, I am one of the biggest, A-type personalities that you could ever meet, and I would not consider you or of the other people I know that are involved in Model Rocketry, a Nerd, or a Geek.
I was always cool with any one that was cool with me, some people just have to show that they are better or smarter or have more money, have more fun, their stronger, have a prettier girl friend, more girl friend's, what ever I don't care. the thing that I don't like is those people who have to act like a Big A Hole. and the one's that have to pick on others, fight, be loud, and act stupid to get attention. I think Just because a person is smart enough to say out of trouble and plan for the future ,get an education, not be a slut, and likes model rockets does not make them odd. just keep it up your doing fine.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
This 1340-20 is a clone, I did not get to fly the rocket that day as I left home with out my
launch supply's. so I used the time for the photo opt. I had an original 1340-20, but I was
relieved of it along with a MARS Project and a Mini Max Scorpion, by I don't know who .
the theft happened at a launch back in the 1990's the original 1340-20 had the same paint job as the clone.

FYI: the original 1340 had a 29mm mount, it flew great on a F25 Aerotech,
the new model only has a 24mm mount and I have only flown it on a Estes D12-5.
it flew nice and strait, but only about 600-700'.
I am getting wimpy in my old age.

Thanks for the background on the 1340. Bummer on the theft of the original though; that's tough.

Do you mind saying where you got the original? Direct from Enerjet? I've got several of the flyers for the original Enerjet 'industrial' line, but I don't think I've ever seen original prices for the 1340, 1340-20, or the other two 2260 and 2640 (those latter two numbers may be off a tad).

Nice clone!

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Old 11-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Black Wolf Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl
Harold-

BTW, I got the item from you safe and sound about a week ago or so. Thanks for the prompt shipment.

Earl

You are most welcome.

I hate rules.
Old 11-13-2013, 10:06 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Hello all.....I'm new to the forum and would like to introduce myself....

In mid 1991 I was recruited to redesign Larry Renger's AstroBlaster Rocket Boosted R/C Glider and to engineer the kit for Estes Industries in Penrose Colorado.
After the completion of that commission, I was offered a job with Estes to design winged products and I left my Southern California industrial model building business to relocated to Colorado Springs.

I worked for Estes from early 1992 to early 2000 when I left to devote full time to LASER ARTS, my laser cut aircraft model kit and cutting service business.
The AstroBlaster, StratoBlaster, and Sweet Vee are the three radio controlled boost gliders that I designed and engineered while at Estes.
In addition to those models, I designed many other products for Estes ranging from small catapult and rubber band powered balsa wood kits to sophisticated injection molded plastic flying models for the Cox division of Estes. I also designed various Star Wars themed rockets and glider kits as well as accessories like the updated launch pad and the building tools kit.

I am selling off my personal portfolio collection. Much of it has alreday sold, but I do have more. Some of you may be interested. If so contact me at dmeyers2@comcast.net or 719 3514114

Take care!
Old 09-04-2015, 09:02 PM
Craftsman

I just have to step in here at this point.
Garry's list is a great wa for everyone to set standards by to sell, or buy.
As a collector myself, I feel that rocket kit is only worth so much to me.
However, in the past months many rocket kits have sold for a lot less than should have on ebay, while others are sold far more than they should be.
It's a shame that as a collector we have to bid against people that often buy just to double the price for resale.
Since George G. had a problem with a certain person on ebay, I took it upon myself as I had been following his actions on ebay myself.
He buys open damaged kits, replace damaged parts with new and list the opened package at or above pristine unopened packaged price.
I tried to bid on one of his offerings after I recieved his ill manered childish reply, but he obviously had blocked me from sending any more messages or bidding.
This being said, since then, he is know to be monitored by the rocket community.
Last week, a new bidder appeared. Yesterday, Goodrocks1 had the same 5 rockets up for sale at outrageous starting bids on the same rockets that was one by this new bidder.
I can only assume the Mr. Wong has opened a new account for buying only.
I do not sell on ebay, I only buy as I'm a collector.
It's a shame that we true hearted collectors have to put up with people such as this to bid against. His buying account has 5 credits to his name.
Since ebay doesn't let you see the winning bidders true ebay name, you have to follow him buy his credits. And since his buying account will never show up, you will never know it.
He is one that takes advantage of people in every way possible in the rocket community.
I will try and keep everyone updated on his buying account credit list as I see things bought and offered on his Goodrocks1 selling account.
I would urge anyone selling to reject any offers by his buying account, from Millbury, MASS.
And not to buy anything from him.
He is a menace to us collectors I hope he has to store what he buys for years to come and looses his ass when he finially sells at a reasonable price.
In the last 2 weeks, the only thing he as accepted an offer for was the one that he listes as, "Eaten by my dog". Which is the one I tried to Buy it Now for when I discovered he had blocked me. His loss, as he obviously took a lesser offer.
So I hope the Mr. Fortin does not use any of his auctions as a part of his data base as Goodrocks1 is an obviously not a collector, but a manipulater of profit.
I put him in the category with Wall Street and the Bankers that us tax payers will be paying for, for generations to come.
We must stop this evil at it's soarce before it pulls in the everyone thinking they can be like him and take advantage of us collectors.
Happy bidding all, and don't step on my Ivy while bidding.