Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2015, 11:34 AM
Old Fart with Rockets

Default Ejection charge

I'm building a rear ejection rocket, 24mm MMT in a BT-80 airframe. The motor tube is 300mm long and the airframe tube is 310mm long. The front of the motor tube butts against a bulkhead. The front centering ring is 30mm from the front of the motor tube.
I need to find out if the ejection charges on LPR BP motors are all the same. During ejection testing do I need to use 24mm motors or can I use far cheaper A8-3s?
Also posted in TRF.

NAR 31689
Old 05-22-2015, 12:02 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemech
I'm building a rear ejection rocket, 24mm MMT in a BT-80 airframe. The motor tube is 300mm long and the airframe tube is 310mm long. The front of the motor tube butts against a bulkhead. The front centering ring is 30mm from the front of the motor tube.
I need to find out if the ejection charges on LPR BP motors are all the same. During ejection testing do I need to use 24mm motors or can I use far cheaper A8-3s?
Also posted in TRF.

They aren't the same. In fact, you can take 10 motors of the same designation, such as a D12-5 and have anything from a light ejection to a shotgun ejection. We'd like them to be consistent and so would Estes, but they aren't. I've had 13mm motors blow out body tubes and 24mm motors not even blow half the clay off.
Old 05-22-2015, 12:18 PM
Born Late Rocketeer

Yes, ejection pressures vary a lot. But you can in principle look at averages and extremes over many motors.

The article “Ejection Pressure Measurements” by Janice and Harold Larson in the Jan/Feb 2007 Sport Rocketry includes the following Editor’s note:

Quote:
The post by “doctor_dynasoar” quotes Ed Brown at Estes regarding the ejection charge sizes for Estes motors: 13 mm motors, 0.4 grain; 18mm motors, 0.6 grain; 24mm motors, 1.0 grain.

HOWEVER, my understanding is that the units here are wrong: should be GRAMS not GRAINS.

In any case, 24mm ejection charges are nominally almost twice as large as 18mm ones.
Syracuse Rocket Club

http://richsrockets.wordpress.com
Old 05-22-2015, 09:24 PM
Old Fart with Rockets

Thanks, guys. That's pretty much what I anticipated. I'll find and read that Sport
Rocketry article and do the calculations. Then I'll just stick an A8-3 in and light it. If it ejects, good. If not, try a C-11. If that ejectes, good. If not, redesign, rebuild, or use more talc or dry graphite. Yeah, I'll do that.

NAR 31689
Old 05-23-2015, 08:19 AM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemech
Thanks, guys. That's pretty much what I anticipated. I'll find and read that Sport
Rocketry article and do the calculations. Then I'll just stick an A8-3 in and light it. If it ejects, good. If not, try a C-11. If that ejects, good. If not, redesign, rebuild, or use more talc or dry graphite. Yeah, I'll do that.
<whisper voice>You might could sweeten the ejection charge a tad to ensure you get the laundry out. You can put a pinch of 4F on top of the ejection cap, and place a ball of wadding on top of that to hold it in. I doubt anybody over here would make a federal case out of using this trick, but be careful who you share this with - you don't wanna attract the interest of the internet cops </whisper>

Doug

YORF member #11
Old 05-23-2015, 02:59 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

+1 to Doug's idea.
I however would use a disc of masking tape instead of wadding to cover the loose FFF or FFFF powder.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 05-25-2015, 10:07 PM
Old Fart with Rockets

Default Follow up

A8-3 worked fine. Shot the MMT ~2m in the air.

NAR 31689