Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2015, 02:37 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeR
I was never fortunate enough to have one of the original Mars Landers, but grabbed a couple Outlanders when they came out. I was never sure why Estes had chosen such awful colors and decals for it, so I decided to build mine like a Mars Lander. And then I found out that Excelsior had "Mars Lander-like" decal sets for the Outlander. (This Outlander is heavily modified with styrene panels, add-ons from other plastic models, and a 24mm motor mount.)

I had always thought the Mars Lander color scheme was white body and red legs. But for some reason I went with Testors Light Aircraft Gray. The legs are some flat red I had at the time. The build on the right is the Semroc Mars Lander, started a couple years ago, and then shelved with a lot of other projects. For this project I chose Testors Competition Orange,which is close in color to how I remember the Estes International Orange. I still have not decided if I will go with a white body, or stick with the light gray, since I tend to kind of go off the rails at times on "standard" color schemes.

Wow! Good color choice! That actually looks really good!

Joe
Old 08-04-2015, 03:05 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben awes
I am looking for insight about original Estes colors. Estes makes recommendations for painting schemes in their instructions for all their rockets. I am trying to determine the original intended colors for the Mars Lander. One question - did Estes ever change the recommended color? I have a set of early instructions for Mars Lander (though I do not know what year they are from) and they instruct to paint part of the Mars Lander "International Orange".

The second question is what color is that? The most famous International Orange is the color used on the Golden Gate Bridge, which has been the same for 70 years. This color is sort of a darker rusty orange. Actually this color looks like photos of Mars (of course, in 1968 we did not have photos of Mars!). There also is an International Orange that was apparently used "in the aerospace industry" - which would make sense as the one to go with except that is too bright and does not look like what Estes used. Then there is one that is "used in engineering" - but it is very red. Or, was there some other readily available paint on the market called International Orange? Did kids use spray paint in 1968? Wouldn't Estes recommend colors that would have been easy for kids in the 60's and 70's to get?

Here are a couple links on the color:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/International_orange

http://encycolorpedia.com/search?q=international+orange

Does anyone know any history around this Estes color? I would love to know the original intention of the minds over in Penrose in the late 60's.

Thanks for your help,

Ben

International Orange was one of the colors included in the set of model airplane dopes that came with the Deluxe Alpha Starter Set. They were Testors brand dopes (in my part of the country, Pactra AeroGloss was much more prevalent). My recollection is that it was a very slightly dingy orange, not as bright as current Krylon orange, but still kinda bold in its own right. The color I remember is inbetween the Aerospace color and the Golden Gate color shown in the Wiki article.

I would think if Model Masters has International Orange that would be closest to the Testors dope I.O. that Estes sold.
Old 08-04-2015, 04:38 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I still have original jars of Testors Orange Dope.
They changed the name from International Orange to Competition Orange.
They still offer the same color in Enamel Spray as "Competition Orange".
For some reason they have never offered the same color in their 1/4oz. enamel bottles; the orange in the 1/4oz brush-on bottles is slightly different.
Pactra Aero Gloss was much more prevalent in Michigan as well.
Virtually every hobby shop in my state (and I have been to most of them that were open from 1975 onward) carried Pactra Aero Gloss Dope, Pactra 'namel enamel, and Testors Enamel. Many also carried Pactra Formula-U which is horrible paint unless you add hardener to it.
Only ONE I knew of carried Testors Dope since I started frequenting hobby shops in 1975.
That was the hobby shop up in Traverse City Michigan.
The local hobby shop in my hometown of Fenton was "Fenton Family Hobbies". That shop back in the 60's DID carry Testors Dope based on the old stuff my Dad and Uncle had; they dropped that line before I got involved in hobbies; probably because Aero Gloss is SO much better than the Ethyl Acetate-thinned Testors product.
I still have a case of 12 pristine full, usable, bottles of Testors Medium Green Butyrate Dope from the 60's. Printed right on the label are the words "Contains LEAD" !

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-05-2015, 05:07 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo1986
Wow! Good color choice! That actually looks really good!

Joe

Thanks. I tend to prefer the light grays but may just go white on the Mars Lander. I was in Hobby Lobby today and saw the prices on Testors and Model Masters now -- over $6 and $10! Thank goodness for 40% off coupons. The white I use will be older Krylon I have, assuming it will spray OK. Some of my old stuff, even unused, won't spray. Others are just fine. I try to invert them periodically and also shake them annually, which is really fun when you have maybe 25-30 cans!

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp
Old 09-16-2015, 07:26 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

I just finished a Comanche 3 clone and, per the instructions, used Testors Competition Orange. I used the spray pictured upthread. Also per the instructions I used Testors dull coat. Came out great.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 09-16-2015, 08:00 PM
Craftsman

Pictures!!!
We must have Pictures!!!
Please, Pretty Please????
Old 09-17-2015, 07:24 PM
Advanced Rocketeer SAM# 0455

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben awes
VERY NICE! Wow, you're into it! I have sent Testors some quesitons about when International Orange was first introduced into their line. We'll see. I imagine that you have the right color. When was the first time you built the ML? Did you use Inter Orange back then as well?

Do you do High Power as well? The ML was my favorite as a kid and I HAD to have a high power version, but no one was make a well detailed high power kit, so I did it myself. I have built and launched one, which had a parachute deployment failure, and now i am onto my second.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEGKsbPBg18

One of my kits is being built by a guy who is doing a good job of documenting the build on The Rocketry Forums.

Do you still fly yours?

Ben

Testor's has Competition Orange available #1628C 3 oz. gloss. With a clear coat this orange can be seen for the entire flight. This is Competition Orange on my Estes Vagabond with a clear coat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  011.JPG
Views: 43
Size:  611.4 KB  
Old 09-17-2015, 09:59 PM
Craftsman

Looks cool!
Hunters Orange, just in time...
Missing the camo top though.
Old 09-18-2015, 04:25 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

The aforementioned clone. Sandman again knocks the decals out of the park.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  1442611386640.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  662.3 KB  

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:12 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Recently, I was also looking for that color, which he said was pretty hard to find, however, he recommended Testors Hugger Orange (GM). It is special paint for model cars. After using it, I would say its pretty darn close.