Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 04-22-2008, 06:18 PM
7/21/61

Don,

Do you then coat the rocket with Future?

Have you ever tried Krylon over the Future?

I routinely pre-coat Excelsior decals with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Clear, same as I do for my own inkjet decals. I generally don't pre-coat silkscreen decals (Estes, Semroc, Flis) and usually don't have a problem using Krylon clear over them.

I much prefer Krylon clear to the Rustoleum. It goes on thinner and leaves a far smoother finish than the Rustoleum which tends to pebble.

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of using Future. I've just never tried it.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:35 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Steve,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Do you then coat the rocket with Future?
If I had faith in my ability to use an airbrush, I would. I just brush it over the decals. That protects them from the possibility of being eaten by the clear coat. Then I spray the entire rocket with the clear coat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
Have you ever tried Krylon over the Future?
The last can I used is Krylon Crystal Clear. I let the Future dry (usually a day) before I use the Krylon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I routinely pre-coat Excelsior decals with Rustoleum Painter's Touch Clear, same as I do for my own inkjet decals. I generally don't pre-coat silkscreen decals (Estes, Semroc, Flis) and usually don't have a problem using Krylon clear over them.

I much prefer Krylon clear to the Rustoleum. It goes on thinner and leaves a far smoother finish than the Rustoleum which tends to pebble.

I've read a lot about the pros and cons of using Future. I've just never tried it.

Something else I used to do with the Future (that I've been remiss about doing for some time now).....I'd dip my balsa nose cones into it and then hang them by the screw eye to dry. Usually accomplishes three things for me. The most obvious is that it seals the balsa. Secondly, it usually fills all the grain. Third, makes for a hard nose cone, that is, it won't dent as easily as just fil n finish and paint.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
7/21/61

Don,

Thanks. I think I'll give it a try.

I really appreciate the nosecone tip. I use the Sandman method which is to smear white glue all over the nosecone and let it dry. Works OK but I think I'll give the Future a try.

Steve
Old 04-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Dazed and Confused

I've coated nosecones with Future and with white glue. Both have always caused extremely uneven swelling near the tip where the ends of the xylem and phloem are exposed by the tapered cut.
Old 04-25-2008, 08:44 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

I've used a paint can trigger since Day 1 as a BAR. Dollar General stores around here sell them for a dollar.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 04-25-2008, 09:57 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I use Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat followed by Aero Gloss Sanding Sealer to fill balsa nose cones (and fins) EXCLUSIVELY.
Works great, gives that "olde tyme" dope smell in the shop, and is more than PLENTY tough.
The ONLY thing I use fill-n-finish for is to fill in dents and imperfections in balsa parts PRIOR to the Dope-based filler/sealer coats.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-08-2008, 12:01 AM
Middle-Age Canadian Rocketeer

Default Crying over Krylon

After complaining to Jared at Krylon about the change in paint formulation and why I needed to reapply paint within 1 hour or after their 24-hour donut hole, this was the answer I got back.

"Brian,

Thank you for your inquiry. Due to Federal VOC restrictions on solvent based paints, we were forced to change the formula from a lacquer to an alkyd. Lacquers can be recoated anytime, whereas alkyds need to be recoated within one hour or after 5-7 days. Once the alkyd resin starts curing, if a new coat is applied over it, wrinkling will likely occur."

5-7 days? What happen to the waiting 24-hours? That donut hole just got a whole lot bigger!

I have yet to recieve an answer to that question.
Old 06-08-2008, 09:23 AM
Incorrigible Kit Basher

Well, that does explain why my cheap paints have always had that "within an hour or after a week" requirement. They must've always been alkyd.
Once upon a better day... SAM #0076
My site: http://rocketry.gonnerman.org
Old 06-12-2008, 08:06 PM
The_Ripper

There's still hope of finding old stock .....

I was feeling a bit better today and after lunch I checked out the local Wal-Mart ..... unfortunately all NEW KRYLON on the shelves. There was a case or two left of Satin White in the old formula but wasn't sure if I was up to having to spray a gloss clear coat over it to achieve a gloss finish not to mention having to be careful with decals & vinyl lettering reacting with the different Krylon clear gloss types.

Stopped at Advanced Auto and picked up a few cans of Dupli-Color white primer and some of the generic store branded gloss black and gloss white (also made by Dupli-Color). Advanced Auto was a little expensive on the Dupli-Color branded stuff at almost $5 per can, but the generic black and white gloss was only around $3 a can. If it works as well as the primers I've used in the past I'll be well pleased.

Last stop was Ace Hardware. They still had many colors of the old formula Krylon spray paints mixed in with the newer stock on the shelves. I picked up a few colors of the old formula Krylon and a couple of cans of Day-Glo Fluorescent Yellow in the ACE branded spray paints. Check out your local Ace Hardware store as they may still have old Krylon on the shelves since they are probably not as large a mover on can spray paints as the local Wal-Mart stores, ect. ..... at least not in my town.

SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 06-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Forest Sprite

Quote:
Originally Posted by snaquin
There's still hope of finding old stock .....

I was feeling a bit better today and after lunch I checked out the local Wal-Mart ..... unfortunately all NEW KRYLON on the shelves. [...]

The shelves of my local hardware stores (including Ace) and my "local" Wal-Mart are still brimming with OF Krylon (maybe we should call it "Krylon Classic"?).

Quote:
Stopped at Advanced Auto and picked up a few cans of Dupli-Color white primer and some of the generic store branded gloss black and gloss white (also made by Dupli-Color). Advanced Auto was a little expensive on the Dupli-Color branded stuff at almost $5 per can, but the generic black and white gloss was only around $3 a can. If it works as well as the primers I've used in the past I'll be well pleased.

Now that's where you've got me - Dupli-Color primer for only $5/can! It's $6/can ($5.99, actually) at AA's around here - and still worth every penny, too. That's just for the primer. Many of the Dupli-color colors are $7-$8 per can. AA store brand spray paint is $3.99 - $4.99 per can. Both OF Krylon and Rusto-Leum are cheaper than that at the Ace Hardware next door.

One of the reasons why I like OF Krylon is that it is the least expensive "premium" spray paint that I can buy around here.

Quote:
Last stop was Ace Hardware. They still had many colors of the old formula Krylon spray paints mixed in with the newer stock on the shelves. I picked up a few colors of the old formula Krylon and a couple of cans of Day-Glo Fluorescent Yellow in the ACE branded spray paints. Check out your local Ace Hardware store as they may still have old Krylon on the shelves since they are probably not as large a mover on can spray paints as the local Wal-Mart stores, ect. ..... at least not in my town.

"Ace Is The Place" - now that really is truth in advertising. My fave hardware store.

Mark \\.
Mark S. Kulka NAR #86134 L1,_ASTRE #471_Adirondack Mountains, NY
Opinions Unfettered by Logic • Advice Unsullied by Erudition • Rocketry Without Pity
+09281962-TAK-08272007+
SAM # 0011