Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-08-2012, 11:06 AM
Master Modeler

Default Some Estes Kit History

Soon I will tell you about a couple of my designs such as the Deluxe Super Shot Screw Machine also the Converter as well as the 36 D Squared and how it ogt its name.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:27 AM
Out to launch...

Screw Machine (full stack) flies awesome on D24's.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:50 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 12-08-2012, 02:55 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks Leo for posting these photos for me. OPne day I will learn how to do it for myself.

I will be telling you the hisotry of the 36 D Squared (#2119 )

Originally named Double D's

Also the Deluxe Screw Machine and the Coverter

Stay tuned
Old 12-12-2012, 04:59 PM
Master Modeler

Ok.....Here we go.
Going back to 2000 I wanted to come up with a rocket that was totally different from the norm. I asked myself, what could be done differently. Why not have a rocket that could be put together in different lengths, but, how do you achieve that. Solution, screw together connectors. For my prototype I got some plastic conduit connectors and adapted them over to use with body tubes, I real crude offering.
I sent my design to Estes who kicked it around and at first said they couldn't come up with the proper connectors, but, the R & D department came up with the current design for them. It was also kicked around, if we are going to offer a multi length rocket, why not take it a step further and have the option of having multiple fins options.
So, the EST1433 was introduced in the Estes 2002 catalog. Under the name of
Deluxe Super Shot.
I was tipped off about the "Screw Machine" name on the decal though. A friend mentioned to me, did you see what they call your rocket? I said NO. Look at the catalog cover, and I did and discovered that they had added "Screw Machine" totally not a good name for kids.
My original name choice was K'wick K'nect, which tells you that it is easy to build.
If you look at page 11 in the 2002 catalog, you will see the description there.
In February 2003 I attended the International Toy Fair in NYC, Estes had a booth there for several years and I would go down to see the "new Stuff".
I approached the marketing manager at the time and stated my opposition to the "Screw Machine' name and that is was not good for kids having a dual meaning. He said to me, if they have a problem with that, that's their problem.

So, to conteract this situation, I decided to design another rocket with twin "D" motors and I called it Double D's, meaning two D motors and nothing else. If they could call a rocket "Screw Machine" why can't I call my rocket Double D's.
The Double D's turned out to be called the 36 D Squared (named by Barry) but if you look at the top section decal, it still has the Dobule D's.
Also, the design of my prototype was changed drastically, as you can see from the photos above , my original doesn't look like the 36 D Squared.
My original had a larger fin and the nose cone was from the Der Red Max, as you can see, the 36 has a round Baby Bertha nose cone and the fins are quite different, just close you eyes and imagine what they are suppose to look like .......
It was also kicked around about the decor of the Double D's. I was told that there were many redesigns from my original on the Double D's theme. Can't say for sure, but, this is what I was told.
The Deluxe Super Shot screw Machine became the 2029 Converter.The concept of the screw connectors was also used on the 1295 Mean Machine. I had suggested to Estes that the concept of the screw connector be used because of the length of the Mean Machine at 79 inches. I had heard many complaints about the length and the hardship of carrying around this rocket without bending it. As a matter of fact, I had a friend who would put it into his short bed pickup and one day in the summer the rocket bent like a banana.
Now the new 1460 Eliminator XL Launch Set usues the same screw connector technology.
So, this is alittle bit of rocket history.

Last edited by Rocket Doctor : 12-12-2012 at 06:32 PM.
Old 12-12-2012, 05:15 PM
Out to launch...

Very interesting, thank you!
Old 12-16-2012, 01:15 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

I agree. Interesting tidbits on the DD.

Thanks for sharing them

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 12-16-2012, 02:45 PM
Master Modeler

Double D's and 36 D Squared are basically saying the same thing !
Old 12-16-2012, 02:46 PM
Master Modeler

I just noticed now that they changed the color scheme from my prototype (reveerse)
Old 12-16-2012, 02:47 PM
Out to launch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Double D's and 36 D Squared are basically saying the same thing !

Yes, but I'd prefer they not be "squared"...