Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2008, 10:42 AM
Launching since 1970.

Default 2008 Estes Catalog or not?

Old 02-27-2008, 02:25 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector

About what? The URL? or the new catalog announcement?

If the URL, then what about it? That Belleville took something with Estes' name in it? or are you speculating that maybe Estes allows them to have it for some reason?

Considering the weird (dis)interest that Estes seems to have had with developing their own web sites (it is obvious they don't 'grok' the Internet), I'm more intrigued by the current Cox site www.coxmodels.com.

In what is otherwise a plain old canned e-commerce site, the Aboutus.asp page is, as Arte Johnson's German soldier would say, "Verrrrry Eeenterestink...":

"Cox is returning to its roots."
"Just in time for our 60th anniversary, Cox Hobbies is once again a hobby company..."

and this... (emphasis mine)

"In January 1996, Estes Industries, the world's leading manufacturer of model rocketry products, purchased Cox and later in that year the Cox company was moved to the Estes facility in Penrose Colorado. For the next few years, many of the new Cox releases were designed for themass market and were sold very successfully through chain stores. But, something wasn't quite right - the hobby business is where Cox belonged and that's where it is returning. "

What do you think about *that*?

Last edited by Ltvscout : 02-27-2008 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Fixed the Cox URL.
Old 02-27-2008, 02:54 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
About what? The URL? or the new catalog announcement?

If the URL, then what about it? That Belleville took something with Estes' name in it? or are you speculating that maybe Estes allows them to have it for some reason?

Considering the weird (dis)interest that Estes seems to have had with developing their own web sites (it is obvious they don't 'grok' the Internet), I'm more intrigued by the current Cox site (www.coxmodels.com).

In what is otherwise a plain old canned e-commerce site, the Aboutus.asp page is, as Arte Johnson's German soldier would say, "Verrrrry Eeenterestink...":

"Just in time for our 60th anniversary, Cox Hobbies is once again a hobby company..."

"In January 1996, Estes Industries, the world's leading manufacturer of model rocketry products, purchased Cox and later in that year the Cox company was moved to the Estes facility in Penrose Colorado. For the next few years, many of the new Cox releases were designed for themass market and were sold very successfully through chain stores. But, something wasn't quite right - the hobby business is where Cox belonged and that's where it is returning. "

It's apparent that mass merchandisers, such as WM don't want the stuff!!!

Now, the hobby shops, that Estes forgot about, is their only way out.
I would be hard pressed to see the catalog out now, but, who knows?

What are they doing for the 50th anniversary of Estes, ...........Model Rockets????
I know what could have been, but now, who knows????????
Old 02-27-2008, 03:44 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
It's apparent that mass merchandisers, such as WM don't want the stuff!!!

Now, the hobby shops, that Estes forgot about, is their only way out.
I would be hard pressed to see the catalog out now, but, who knows?

What are they doing for the 50th anniversary of Estes, ...........Model Rockets????
I know what could have been, but now, who knows????????

Taking this a little further away from the original topic: Does Tunick treat them as two different entities? Is there Cox management and Estes management, or is the management co-mingled? I've been noticing more airplanes coming out with the Estes logo (such as the big foam Air Force One, and the small flyers available at Radio Shack) and wondered what the heck they were doing with the Cox brand.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:16 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Taking this a little further away from the original topic: Does Tunick treat them as two different entities? Is there Cox management and Estes management, or is the management co-mingled? I've been noticing more airplanes coming out with the Estes logo (such as the big foam Air Force One, and the small flyers available at Radio Shack) and wondered what the heck they were doing with the Cox brand.

Estes purchased Cox in 1996, fromn what I have read, Estes added it's own line of planes to go along with their Cox products.

I guess they added Cox to add to the mix of products, over the years Estes has had many sub divisions of products including West Wings (gliders) MDS (airplane mufflers) balsa airplane kits, Great garages (die cast disply "garage") and light gliders (tissue paper wings) So, there has been a variety of different items coming out of Estes. One other that I forgot, Kick dis the hockey puck.

Barry in the main manager/owner. R&D work together on both rockets and planes (Cox and Estes)

Cox is know for it's .049 airplane engines, but, for the most part, the engines have given way to electric motors. Many municipalities have banned gas powered planes due to noise.

Radio Shack indeed sells Estes braned planes, and so does WM. From what I also hear, the Cox line is very popular and sells well.

As the title suggests Estes-Cox, all under one roof.

getting back to the catalog, if it's no out now, then, I would say it should be out soon, within a month or so if history repeats itself.
Old 02-27-2008, 04:42 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

Well, the 60th anniversary was in 2005. The website was created in 2006. To me, returning to their roots means bringing back nitro engines/planes. I'm not seeing that.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
Well, the 60th anniversary was in 2005. The website was created in 2006. To me, returning to their roots means bringing back nitro engines/planes. I'm not seeing that.

Hmm. I missed that. Last time I looked at the Cox site, it looked like it was built by someone who had just bought their first HTML book. What I saw yesterday was at least a clean improvement, so I just assumed it was more recent.
Old 02-28-2008, 11:47 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Hmm. I missed that. Last time I looked at the Cox site, it looked like it was built by someone who had just bought their first HTML book. What I saw yesterday was at least a clean improvement, so I just assumed it was more recent.

Estes has a web master on site that handles all of their web sites, he is the same one who did the Estes Forum.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:05 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
Estes has a web master on site that handles all of their web sites, he is the same one who did the Estes Forum.

Is that his full time job? The estesrockets site doesn't look like it has been significantly updated in a year. Little things here and there, like the X15 recall, but not the continuous updating or refinement that I would expect.

And the forum was just a fairly stock install of the Simple Machines forum software.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:09 PM
mostly harmless

The forum is still there, not disabled or uninstalled. Can't log in though, of course.

http://www.estesrockets.com/forums/

I always found the Estes site to be rather primitive. Hate that navigation system.