Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2009, 10:54 AM
advanced rocketeer

Default rocket names

How does estes go about naming its new kits?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:57 AM
Old BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley16

Perhaps this is an excellent question for the 'Ask Mike' section of the Forum.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:25 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by motley16

Sorry for the delay, but, I will give you my take on names.

I have a list of over 250 potential names, I went through many books for potential names that would fit a rocket.

Also, you need to look at the rocket itself and see if the potential name fits the rocket. Usually, it takes many attempts to name a rocket, you have to "brainstorm" a name, before it is accepted.

I was told that the Rattler 7, took seven name potentials before the name Rattler 7 was chosen, hence the "7" in the name. This was named by Matt Steele.

You also must keep in mind, if you choose a name, that, it doesn't infringe on other companies names and products, such as trademark/copyrights.

You must look up any potential name to see if it has been taken by someone else. Knowadays, it is very difficult to find names for rockets. Sometimes, vintage names are used for new designs.

As far as the Baby Bertha goes, this was my first choice for a name, and, it was approved. But, my original concept was to have an elephant as a decal in a diaper and bonnet, this would nave been "Baby Bertha'. That idea was shot down. Then I came up with the idea of having an elephant in running shoes, shorts and a bandana and t-shirt, that was also shot down.

So, estes decided to make it a carbon copy of the Big Bertha, I really don't like the black paint scheme with the white pin stripes though.

I think both the Big Bertha and the Baby Bertha should have a make over, going back to vintage paint schemes from the 60's.

I must say, the Baby Bertha is very popular, being in the top 5 of kits.

The name of the 36 D Squared was origninally called the Double D's because it has twin "D" motors (cluster)

The Deluxe Super Shot Screw Machine, now the Converter, my original name was Kwik Knect, not used , I don't like the first name though, much too negative for me.

The Skywriter, I called just the" Pencil Rocket", but, I think SkyWriter was a good substitute.

The Screamin MiMi was another name that wasn't mine, I called it the " Whistler".

As Mike has pointed out, he has made numberous prototypes, I have done the same thing, certainly, not every design make the cut, and, some of the ones that do, aren't around that long due to lack of sales.

It hard to come up with a winning design and name that sticks around like in the olden days.

I hope that this you a little insight into naming rockets.
Old 05-01-2009, 04:46 PM
Level 5 Certified

Default Naming Rockets

Getting a kit name is one of the hardest parts of designing and releasing a new kit. Indeed, the "7" in Rattler-7 was because it was the seventh name we tried for the model. Names generate quite a bit of debate in the overall marketing process.

At one point, we wanted to use the name 'Screamin Demon" for an Estes kit that was intended for Wal-Mart. After the big mess with the supposedly "satanic" symbols on Proctor and Gamble goods, Dennis Poole said Wal-Mart would not accept products with demonic names, so we didn't use the name. (Didn't produce the kit either - a Jurrasic Park tie-in with 2 dinosaur gliders, similar to the ARV Condor)

For those of you playing the game at home, you will notice that the name "Screamin Demon" did later show up one of my kit designs that made it to the non-Wal-Mart market.

I have a huge file of names that I started keeping during the North Coast Rocketry days. I usually keep adding to it as I run across interesting names.

You might know that I am still adding to the list....

Matt
Old 05-01-2009, 04:51 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
Getting a kit name is one of the hardest parts of designing and releasing a new kit. Indeed, the "7" in Rattler-7 was because it was the seventh name we tried for the model. Names generate quite a bit of debate in the overall marketing process.

At one point, we wanted to use the name 'Screamin Demon" for an Estes kit that was intended for Wal-Mart. After the big mess with the supposedly "satanic" symbols on Proctor and Gamble goods, Dennis Poole said Wal-Mart would not accept products with demonic names, so we didn't use the name. (Didn't produce the kit either - a Jurrasic Park tie-in with 2 dinosaur gliders, similar to the ARV Condor)

For those of you playing the game at home, you will notice that the name "Screamin Demon" did later show up one of my kit designs that made it to the non-Wal-Mart market.

I have a huge file of names that I started keeping during the North Coast Rocketry days. I usually keep adding to it as I run across interesting names.

You might know that I am still adding to the list....

Matt

Hey Matt, good to see you here again, hope that you join us more often . Have a great day....