Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2009, 08:53 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default New Semroc Saturn 1B for newbie

Hello,

I am new to this hobby and just got a semroc Saturn 1B and have a few questions. My Dr. Zooch Sat V recommended fin hardening with CA; should I do the same with the 1B? The recommended motors for the 1B are D12-3 and D15-3; can I use an AT E15-3 or similar? What do I fill/harden the tubes with during construction? I am going to buy an Apogee capsule to avoid that area as I do not think my skills are there yet.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:12 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

You do not have to fill/harden the tubes with anything.
The Apogee capsule is a great upgrade and I purchased 3 for my Saturn 1B's and Little Joe II.
Yes, you can fly on greater than a D15-4; You can use the E15SU/E18RMS, E28RMS/E30SU, as well as the F24 RMS24 and F39 RMS24.

It flies really great on the F24-4 RMS; it does not fly any better on a D12-3 than a Saturn V does.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-24-2009, 09:25 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Sat 1B

Thanks!

As I said, I am new to this and appreciate your help. What are the flight characteristics on an E15-3? I just ordered the Apogee capsule so I am getting ready to begin.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
It flies really great on the F24-4 RMS; it does not fly any better on a D12-3 than a Saturn V does.

By "better" GH means "higher". It's a little heavier than a Saturn V, so it won't get as high, but both fly great on the motor if you don't overbuild or fly in wind. I love the slow liftoffs that seem more scale to the real vehicles, but I'd love for the D12 to keep burning another two or three seconds.

The only thing you need to do with the tubes is fill the spirals, and that's only for aesthetics. You can use spot putty, fill-n-finish, and a few other things that we've hashed out in threads here the last few years.

The tail ring could use a little reinforcement at the aft end where the centering ring is recessed. My son's was bent a little on one landing. I think it would benefit from a slice of BT-101 cut to fit inside like a coupler. I haven't built my kit so I haven't built up the fins yet. I wouldn't soak the cardstock from the outside, because it has a gloss finish to it. I don't know if you can do it from the inside before gluing the flaps down because I haven't looked at the construction process yet.

Regardless of whether you reinforce anything or not, I'd only fly it at locations where it will land in a decent thickness of grass. It's too pretty to hit and be dragged over bare ground, pavement, etc.

Don't forget that any and all strengthening processes will add weight, though CA hardening would be insignificant unless you dipped it in a vat of the stuff. My son built his with a removable mount, and I plan to do that also. That will add weight to the kit. If you plan to modify it for a removable mount and fly on a single D12-3 any, keep your strength mods to a minimum to save weight. If you plan to fly like GH with F's and G's, you won't have to worry about weight, so you can strengthen it any way you like.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:52 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Sat 1B

Thanks all! I went to the "How to build Model Rockets" site so I will not bother y'all with basic questions. Thanks for all the help and wish me luck? p.s. Paint the tubes before or after assembly?
Old 11-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Custom Cone, Kit & Decal Maker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt38
Thanks all! I went to the "How to build Model Rockets" site so I will not bother y'all with basic questions. Thanks for all the help and wish me luck? p.s. Paint the tubes before or after assembly?

Before, it's just easier.

http://sandmandecals.com/
Old 11-24-2009, 11:40 AM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I have never flown mine on a "G" anything.
That is overkill for the Semroc Saturn 1B.
I think the F24-4 only gets it up to about 600-700'.
It is only a 50n-sec F, not a full 80 n-sec; in other words only 2 full D's plus a C.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 11-24-2009, 12:30 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default Sat 1B

If I paint the tubes first, will the glue hold to the paint or do I mask of contact area between tubes and support?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Wasted away again.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt38
If I paint the tubes first, will the glue hold to the paint or do I mask of contact area between tubes and support?

Masking the contact points is a good idea. It's been a while since I reached that step in the construction of mine, but I don't think it's a real big problem. The only tubes I pre-painted were the tank tubes.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:30 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketcrab
Masking the contact points is a good idea. It's been a while since I reached that step in the construction of mine, but I don't think it's a real big problem. The only tubes I pre-painted were the tank tubes.

Having been through this, I would not recommend painting the tanks in advance. There is enough of a gap between the tubes to slip a sheet of printer/copy paper in between, so masking a tank is not that hard. Masking that scalloped shroud is a whole different story...

I would also suggest masking narrow lines on the tanks where the antenna panels go and glue those on after painting.

Bill