Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What do you like the most about model rocketry?
Designing 3 15.79%
Building 5 26.32%
Collecting 2 10.53%
Flying 4 21.05%
Cloning 1 5.26%
Up/Down Scaling 0 0%
Other. Please specify 4 21.05%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-25-2005, 02:33 PM
ReBAR Rocketeer

Default Poll: What part of model rocketry do you like?

What part of model rocketry do you like the most? Designing, building, collecting, flying, cloning, up/down scaling, or something else entirely?

Myself, I like building the best. I have always liked the sense of satisfaction I get from making something with my own two hands.

Randal
Old 05-25-2005, 02:40 PM
BP Mafia

Cloning. I like building stuff that people recognize at the pads.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:00 PM
Craftsman

Guess I'm a building/flying guy in the sense that I enjoy the precision aspect of building and seeing my good work illustrated in the form of good aerodynamics resulting in straight flights.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
What part of model rocketry do you like the most? Designing, building, collecting, flying, cloning, up/down scaling, or something else entirely?

I do some cloning, but mostly what might be called clone bashing where I upscale or downscale as well as stretch, tweak and otherwise modify existing designs. Plus I do a fair amount of scratch building, but even then, there is usually an existing model that provides some inspiration. (Example: Guess what rocket inspired the Doug 1b. :) And like others here, I frequently ask how I might add a booster to something.

I greatly enjoy solving the engineering challenges of construction - how can I make a (good) centering ring for that (oddball) tube? How can I attach the recovery harness in a rocket with interchangeable motor mounts? How can I keep the fins aligned perfecty while assembling a multi-stage rocket? How can I draw a perfect wrap for a transition? Those are just a few examples.

And getting compliments on my paint jobs while standing in line to fly is always an ego boost.

But there's no doubt that the real adrenaline rush is those few seconds of powered flight, when you see the 2nd stage light and then the 3rd, then you see the chute/streamer deploy. That's why I fly. You never know for sure what's gonna happen.

There is no thrill of success when there is no risk of failure.

Doug
Old 05-25-2005, 05:37 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Collecting of course. Hey, you guys that replied in this thread, vote in ShieldWolf's poll as well so we can see how the numbers go in the end.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 05-25-2005, 05:46 PM
BP Mafia

I guess "Groupies" falls in the "other" category?
Old 05-25-2005, 08:37 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

I chose OTHER, since I like all of those things. I'm not sure I can pick one as the MOST FAVORITE.

To me, it's all part of the hobby. I have as much enjoyment building as I do flying; designing as I do cloning; collecting clones as much as adding originals; researching the old designs as well as yakking with everyone here...

Craig
Old 05-25-2005, 09:08 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

In order of preference:

designing

up/down scaling (been doing that since 1969)

Building and flying tied for 3rd

Actually, all 4 of these are about tied for *first*

Probably my most exciting downscale was my mini mars lander (about 9 months before Estes announced it), then my up and down scales of the snooper, transport, saucer and too many more to count Back in the 80's I was doing so much of that, that my local club referred to it as "Glandular Conditions" (that was before the term "up scale" or "down scale" was coined.

You can see many of them on my personal web site by clicking here.

jim
Old 05-26-2005, 06:03 PM
Out To Launch

I always looked at building as a necessary evil, because I'm so impatient to see the finished project and I've never tried my hand at design or modification (though I've had a few ideas...). Cloning is a new concept to me that I find I enjoy very much, but the first time I pushed that button 30+ years ago, I was hooked on the WHOOOSH!! It's definitely flying for me.
Established 1938
lladd.netau.net
Old 05-28-2005, 03:02 PM
ReBAR Rocketeer

You know, with this being "Ye Olde Rocket Forum", I really expected cloning to be higher on the list. Hmm...

Maybe it's getting lumped in with building. I know that I enjoy the building aspect the most, whether it's a quality kit, an original design, a clone, or an up/down scale.

I agree that it's not really a rocket untli it's flown, but sometimes there's a little stress involved with getting everything prepped, and out to the field and toubleshooting launch eguipment, and worrying if I'll get my rocket back, etc. Of course, when all goes well, it's fun and exciting.

Building, on the other hand, I find to be a soothing activity that lets me forget about work and bills and all the other things that can wear us down in our everyday lives. If I'm having trouble with something, like filling those @$#% spirals, I can stop and walk away from it, or work on something else until my attitude improves.

Randal