Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Doctor is In! > Ask the Doctor
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2009, 07:05 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus
I would be very happy with Ken moderating the questions. I think it might make the experience more pleasant (less chaotic) for Barry and more useful for all of us.

RD the other benefit of questions being submitted to you, and then having you post them one at a time, is that you could weed out the one or two that might not be ready for prime time.

It would make the whole process very orderly as well, with the first question posted followed by it's answer, the second question posted followed by it's answer, and so on...
Old 03-27-2009, 07:31 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I'm thinking there should be two separate threads. One where questions are posted (whether questions are asked ahead of time or on Monday to be decided) and the other where Barry posts his answers.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-27-2009, 07:59 AM
Master Modeler

That's why I asked about the chat room. Sounded like Rocket Doctor wants live chat but done in a thread format. That doesn't work too well. I think it would get too confusing and bit overwhelming for Barry to say the least. Chat room wouldn't be any better, but would flow and allow for more questions to be answered. Easier to moderate. But, a chat room could get confusing and overwhelming too.

I like Gus' idea with the press conference style thread, where the questions are submitted ahead of time and RD can present them in an organized fashion. This will maintain some organization to the thread, keep it moving, and Barry won't feel as pressured with 101 questions all at once. It will allow those who can't be in attendance a fair shot at asking a question. It will afford everyone a better chance at getting their questions answered and a more positive experience for Barry. Scott's idea make sense too. Either way sounds good to me, but a free for all for two hours sounds hectic.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:18 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
RD,

I think you're missing the point of what Gus was saying........

If every member of YORF is on the thread, and you ask for a question, suddenly the thread is 500 posts long!

Somewhere, there has to be a way to control the questions. A question que so that the thread isn't inundated with questions.

Personally, I like the suggestion where the questions are submitted before hand to you. You, acting as the moderator could then say "Our first question is from Gus in Michigan" and then Gus can type in his question to Barry. It's still live and we don't have everyone trying to post at the same time.

This is all going to be new to everyone, I will put it past Scott for his input, and , depending upon his thoughts, put it past Barry.

Now that I think about it, haaving the question submitted beforehand makes sense. But, if questions are submitted, I don't want the member to think that I am edicting them to protect anyone.

I am going to be neutral in this "Town Hall Meeting".

After I hear back from Scott, I will post what we will be doing.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

I'm down in FL on vacation and don't have time to look for a good chat program and get it setup in time.

I think a separate thread for questions should be created. I also think that it would be wise to open it up for the questions to come in now. Although, my guess is that not all questions will be able to be answered by Barry in the timeframe he has available to him. By getting the questions ahead of time, Barry can dedicate his time to posting his answers right from the get go.

I'm confident that Ken and Barry will work on answering as many questions as they can within the timeframe provided. People should not expect Barry to answer proprietary or private type of questions. For example, don't expect him to post the chemical composition/formula for a B6-4 motor or what their profit margin is on a Big Bertha.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket Doctor
This is all going to be new to everyone, I will put it past Scott for his input, and , depending upon his thoughts, put it past Barry.

Now that I think about it, haaving the question submitted beforehand makes sense. But, if questions are submitted, I don't want the member to think that I am edicting them to protect anyone.

I am going to be neutral in this "Town Hall Meeting".

After I hear back from Scott, I will post what we will be doing.

Actually, you can cut and paste the person's question word for word. They'll be no question as to whether it was edited(unless it needs to be). Saves you a bunch of typing also. Time saver. You'd type, "This comes from So and So" and then paste the question into the dialog box, submit, done. Wait for Barry to answer, then you go on to the next question.

Scott, the chat room is not necessary. That was merely a suggestion for the free for all that was proposed by RD. A thread will do just fine as long as it's well organized.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:43 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by foose4string
Actually, you can cut and paste the person's question word for word. They'll be no question as to whether it was edited(unless it needs to be). Saves you a bunch of typing also. Time saver. You'd type, "This comes from So and So" and then paste the question into the dialog box, submit, done. Wait for Barry to answer, then you go on to the next question.

Good idea. I ws thinking something along the same lines.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-27-2009, 08:55 AM
Master Modeler

Scott do you have the ability to lock a thread in progress, but have it where only a few individuals are granted access to post? This would keep anyone tempted to post at bey until the questions have been asked and answered by RD and Barry. Then, you could unlock it after they are done to allow for discussion by everyone. Or a brand new discussion thread could be started by someone.
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Scott do you have the ability to lock a thread in progress, but have it where only a few individuals are granted access to post? This would keep anyone tempted to post at bey until the questions have been asked and answered by RD and Barry. Then, you could unlock it after they are done to allow for discussion by everyone. Or a brand new discussion thread could be started by someone.

I'll look into that.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-27-2009, 09:07 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:

I just want to make it perfectly clear, this is not my Q & A session, I'm 2,000 miles away and I will NOT be answering any questions, this will be Barry's "show" not mine.

We are still working on the details yet.