Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2012, 05:20 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreadvector
Reminder that people CAN use their own launch pads and controllers at SCRA launches. AND if you bring many models, and they are all prepped, you can check them all in at once for that round (if using our club pads) or for whatever round you wish. Some folks check in a model for each round on their own pad, some check in for every other round if they do not have a recovery crew and they are flying high, and some have multiple "own" pads and check in multiple models for each round.

Next launch is Sunday, 22JAN2012. Stay away rain....

Sometimes I like to build a rocket and launch it the same week and because of my work schedule I normally cannot launch on weekends. Gotta love California, where a simple hobby becomes a major club event. Now don't get me wrong the clubs do great things to keep the hobby going, and they jump through a lot of red tape to find rocket sites. I was at the Hobby store the other day and a father and son bought a RTF Estes rocket and were going to launch it at a local park. The only sign at the hobby store regarding model rockets is an age requirement to buy motors. The person selling the rocket did not tell the buyer the California laws regarding launching rockets nor are there any signs anywhere. I cannot see how someone can get fined 1000.00 for a law they know nothing about, especially when they bought a RTF rocket with engines at a toy store.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:33 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Sometimes I like to build a rocket and launch it the same week and because of my work schedule I normally cannot launch on weekends. Gotta love California, where a simple hobby becomes a major club event. Now don't get me wrong the clubs do great things to keep the hobby going, and they jump through a lot of red tape to find rocket sites. I was at the Hobby store the other day and a father and son bought a RTF Estes rocket and were going to launch it at a local park. The only sign at the hobby store regarding model rockets is an age requirement to buy motors. The person selling the rocket did not tell the buyer the California laws regarding launching rockets nor are there any signs anywhere. I cannot see how someone can get fined 1000.00 for a law they know nothing about, especially when they bought a RTF rocket with engines at a toy store.

See if the stores will put up some NAR membership applications.

Get a list of NAR members within a zip code range from NAR HQ.

Contact members on the list and invite them to join you in forming a new NAR section serving your local area.

Local NAR Section can then get certificates of insurance to secure local launch site (officially).

Then you can ask store owners/managers about applying the small "LAUNCH SITE INFO" stickers to every kit and motor pack.
Attached Files
File Type: doc LABL2WWW.DOC (85.5 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-16-2012, 05:48 PM
Master Modeler

Fred, I have seen NAR applications and also club flyers at the stores. I tend to believe the father and son just want one weekend of flying a rocket without having to join or launch with a club. I'm sure if they knew they could get a fine or be financially responsible for damage caused by their rocket then they might reconsider. I like your stickers, that is a great ideal...........
Old 01-16-2012, 06:02 PM
Launching since 1970.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
Fred, I have seen NAR applications and also club flyers at the stores. I tend to believe the father and son just want one weekend of flying a rocket without having to join or launch with a club. I'm sure if they knew they could get a fine or be financially responsible for damage caused by their rocket then they might reconsider. I like your stickers, that is a great ideal...........

Yes.

Just providing advice for those all over the state with no legal launch site who would like to try to secure one. Some individual store owners have historically tried to stimulate formation of clubs in their area to increase their sales. A launch site would help them.

Many simply rely on local school and youth group programs who do massive orders seasonally. Some schools have permits to launch on their school yard but only for their program during school hours. Some youth groups either drive out to a desert launch or they sometimes have a privates school or church with an athletic field and obtain a permit. After the school or youth group program, the kids and families are left with no information on where to launch legally.

Still hoping it does not rain at our launch site on Sun 1/22.......