Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 PM
Craftsman

Default "Model Rocketry: The Space Age Hobby" film...

There has been some discussion of this film in recent days, so I dug up the source file and posted it to YouTube:

http://youtu.be/6NpgEsyqjWQ

"Model Rocketry: The Space Age Hobby" was produced as a recruiting and outreach tool by the NAR in the early '60s. The writer and producer was Charles Hans, and the film was narrated NAR founder G. Harry Stine. Terry Dean learned of the existence of a copy of this film in the University of Maryland-College Park library way back in early 2008, and based on his tip we were able to work with the library to get a digital copy. That digital copy was included on the Old Rocketeer Reunion DVD set, which is available from NARTS at:

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/stor...=9270081141341

If anyone can shed any additional light on the contents of the film, please add to the comments!

Enjoy,
James
Old 03-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocket.aero
There has been some discussion of this film in recent days, so I dug up the source file and posted it to YouTube:

http://youtu.be/6NpgEsyqjWQ

"Model Rocketry: The Space Age Hobby" was produced as a recruiting and outreach tool by the NAR in the early '60s. The writer and producer was Paul Hans, and the film was narrated NAR founder G. Harry Stine. Terry Dean learned of the existence of a copy of this film in the University of Maryland-College Park library way back in early 2008, and based on his tip we were able to work with the library to get a digital copy. That digital copy was included on the Old Rocketeer Reunion DVD set, which is available from NARTS at:

https://blastzone.org/nar/narts/stor...=9270081141341

If anyone can shed any additional light on the contents of the film, please add to the comments!

Enjoy,
James

Thanks for making the YouTube available for all, James! I've made this post a Sticky.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
Retired Missile Technician

Thanks for posting the video James. A real nostalgia tour for me. I knew G. Harry Stine and served on the NAR Board of Trustees with him. What I enjoyed was several views of Bill Roe, an older gentleman in glasses and ballcap in several scenes. Bill was the contest director for NARAM-11 at the Air Force Academy in 1969. That was my first NARAM having just started competition in 1968. I took a couple of thirds or so and back then they took pictures of the placing contestants with the Contest Director. It was sent to and appeared in my local newspaper. I will attach the picture.

As Bill Cosby said, I told you that story to tell you this one...

NARAM-52 was held in Pueblo, CO and dedicated to Bill Roe. They were looking for pictures and I offered mine. The cover of the contestants booklet included the Bill Roe half of the picture.

Looking back, I wish I had bought one of the MMI towers. Loved the one scene in the video of the model rocket motors because of the Coaster motors behind them.

Thanks again!

Chas
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Bill_Roe_and_Charles_Russell_1969[1].JPG
Views: 204
Size:  519.4 KB  
Old 03-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Master Modeler

I remember watching that film in sixth or seventh grade when my industrial arts teacher got us into model rockets. (that was my first BAR) I had gotten a rocket for my birthday in 1968. I found out later my teacher was a NAR member for almost ten years. We built a launcher first then a rocket. There was one girl in the class and her name was Kathy. She became my girlfriend soon after til high school started.
Old 08-20-2020, 10:59 AM
Banned

And, of course, William Shatner in "The Last Frontier" . . .

Dave F.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIXdx_uUhqA