Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2017, 06:48 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Rocketeer Reunion

I recently sent the email below to all the rocketeers for whom I had contact information who belonged to the NAR in the 1970's and prior (some of us still do!), to get the ball rolling on the "Rocketeer Reunion" the opening weekend of NARAM-60. While everyone is invited to the event, we are actively looking for early-year NAR members so the current generation can meet them. If you know of anyone who was in the NAR back in its first 30 years, please let them know about this event and if they are interested in coming have them contact me at <ahbarber@alum.mit.edu>.

Trip Barber

----------------------

Dear NAR Rocketeer --

It is hard to believe that the NAR is now 60 years old. We were founded on November 5, 1957. 60 years later, we are well past NAR number 100,000 and have nearly 7000 current members, by far the greatest number in our history. It’s time to have the 60th NARAM and to celebrate the NAR’s success and remember its history. NARAM-60 will be held in Pueblo, CO from August 4 to August 10, 2018, and on the evening of the opening day we are holding a “Rocketeer Reunion” as part of the celebration. I invite you to come to Colorado and join us for this special evening, and for as much of NARAM-60 as you can. Many of us were at the last reunion at NARAM-50 and know that an event like this and the opportunity to re-connect with old friends is a lot of fun. The Rocketeer Reunion 2018 is intended to bring together all generations of NAR members to share fellowship and memories. Vern and Gleda Estes will be there, as will Bill and Lisa Stine. It would be great if you could come as well.

• Who’s invited: Rocketeers of all ages
• Where will it be held: the Pueblo Convention Center and adjacent Courtyard by Marriott Pueblo Downtown, Pueblo, Colorado
• When will it be held: Saturday, August 4, 2018, 5 PM to 10 PM

Registration is not yet open for the Rocketeer Reunion, or for NARAM-60, and it will not be for another couple of months, but I wanted to contact you early with this “hold the date” notice before you have made your personal plans for the coming August. The web address www.naram.org will point to the NARAM-60 website once it is up; it still points to last year’s NARAM as of now. If you are considering attending the Reunion, even if you are not yet sure you can, please send me a note so I can put you on the distribution list for further information.

As long as we are talking about sharing history and memories, I’d like to tell you about another way you can help pass along the legacy. The collections of G. Harry Stine, Vern Estes and Lee Piester have all been donated to the Museum of Flight (MOF) in Seattle over the past few years, where they will form our hobby and our NAR’s cornerstone historical collection. This is a massive amount of material. A few memorable items are on display there already in a great rocketry exhibit that opened in 2015 (see http://www.museumofflight.org/Exhib...spiring-rockets )but most of the material is still in storage, awaiting full cataloging and archiving. At the current rate, that work on Harry’s collection alone won’t complete for another 10 years. The NAR and MOF both want to make this incredible asset available to rocketry and space enthusiasts in a more timely manner. MOF has estimated a full time museum professional will require 2 years to complete the Stine work in compliance with Smithsonian Institution standards with an online finding aid to allow an overview of collection content and an ability to respond to reproduction requests.

MOF estimates the total cost of augmenting their capacity to get this work done in two years at $100,000, and has committed to raise $50,000 of this from their own donor base. The NAR Board of Trustees has committed $25,000 to a Historical Fund for the project. NAR members and supporters need to raise the final $25,000 by individual donations. This is where you come in. If you can help this important project preserve our hobby’s legacy, please go to www.nar.org/donate to see more and to make a donation. A number of us have already made significant donations (8 people are at the $1000+ level), but we have a long way to go and need your help.

I hope to see you on August 4, 2018 in Pueblo, Colorado.

Sincerely,

Trip Barber
NAR 4322
Old 12-12-2017, 01:42 AM
Master Modeler

Thanks, Trip. I hope to be there as one who could have been an NAR member back then but was not (though I do have a 5-digit AMA number).

And my wife and I hope to be volunteers working under the direction of this new Museum of Flight staff member helping to catalog the collections once that effort is underway.
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 12-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

>The Rocketeer Reunion 2018 is intended to bring together all generations of NAR members to share fellowship and memories.

Here's a statement adapted from a quote by American born museum curator Nancy Hatch Dupree who lived most of her life in Afghanistan. Her original quote referred to Afghanistan, but the sentiment also applies to organizations like the NAR and hobbies like model rocketry.

"Model rocketry and the NAR stays alive if its culture stays alive.”

Maybe we should challenge every NAR Section to sponsor a deserving young person to attend the Rocketeer Reunion and Rocketry Festival so they can meet some of our hobby pioneers, spend some time with them, and take in some rocketry history?

Young people can carry model rocketry's torch toward the 22nd century. We have a proud heritage and culture. Let's foster its growth with our youth.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:34 AM
Master Modeler

I'm interested in going, but don't have firm plans yet.

I have a box full of donations from a "retired" rocketeer that includes some collectible items. I'm hoping to donate these to any fund-raising auction associated with the event.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 04-26-2018, 02:18 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

Default NARAM-60 ORR Cost

Registration for NARAM-60 is now open.

If you want to attend the ORR it is an additional $50/person for just that event.

I do not recall a fee to attend any of the three previous ORR events at NARAM-31, -42 & -50.

This is going to have an impact on those who wish to attend, especially young people who have an interest in the hobby:

" The Rocketeer Reunion 2018 is intended to bring together all generations of NAR members to share fellowship and memories."

The only folks that will be attending are a bunch of old rocketeers, no 'young blood'.

I think the NAR itself should pick up the tab for this event.

And, why does there need to be food?
Old 04-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Old Canuck Modeller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001
Registration for NARAM-60 is now open.

If you want to attend the ORR it is an additional $50/person for just that event.

I do not recall a fee to attend any of the three previous ORR events at NARAM-31, -42 & -50.

This is going to have an impact on those who wish to attend, especially young people who have an interest in the hobby:

" The Rocketeer Reunion 2018 is intended to bring together all generations of NAR members to share fellowship and memories."

The only folks that will be attending are a bunch of old rocketeers, no 'young blood'.

I think the NAR itself should pick up the tab for this event.

And, why does there need to be food?

Seems to me if they had a cash bar the profits would pay for some nibblies without the need for a $50 entry fee.
Old 04-26-2018, 05:21 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Whoop-dee-doo....50 whole bucks.
I would suggest that if $50 breaks-the-bank, you can't afford to be there at all.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 04-26-2018, 07:44 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Rocketeer Reunion Update

The NAR is celebrating its 60th anniversary by holding a special Rocketeer Reunion event on Saturday, August 4, from 5 PM to 10PM at the NARAM-60 host hotel. This Reunion is not just for those who were part of the NAR's early years to get together and exchange reminiscences, it is also an opportunity for today's rocketeers to meet and hear those stories from people whom they may only know only from books, articles, and tribal legends. There is no NAR number cutoff for this reunion - everyone is welcome, because we want the current NAR generation to meet the NAR's first generation. If you have contact with others who were part of the NAR's early years, but may not be in the NAR today, please urge them to come to Pueblo and be part of this!

The evening will be a stand-up reception with heavy hors d’oeuvres, a cash bar, and lots of socializing. Halfway through the evening of socializing there will be a few presentations and remarks, including an update by Geoff Nunn, the Museum of Flight's Adjunct Curator of Space History. Geoff will speak on the massive professional archiving project now underway (thanks to NAR member donations) at this famous Seattle museum as they assimilate and fully catalog the huge G. Harry Stine collection and the Estes and Piester collections that have been donated to them in the past several years.

Vern and Gleda Estes, Lee and Betty Piester, Bill and Lisa Stine , and Jay Apt will be at the Reunion, so should you! You do not have to register for NARAM to be part of the Reunion. The registration cost of $50 covers the cost of the food and facility (hotel events really do cost this much!); registration is now open on the NARAM-60 website. Junior NAR members will be admitted free with their NAR card.
Old 04-26-2018, 08:56 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefanj
I'm interested in going, but don't have firm plans yet.

I have a box full of donations from a "retired" rocketeer that includes some collectible items. I'm hoping to donate these to any fund-raising auction associated with the event.

Mmmm. Pics?

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Gee'Hod, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Snake Jumper
Old 04-26-2018, 09:30 PM
Retired with Way Too Many Kits

My wife and I will be attending, and really looking forward to meeting many people that I’ve only seen in pictures.

Like Bernard, I could have been an NAR member way back. I did not join until the 90s. ... But I’m old, if that helps!

We are also driving to NSL next month. I started flying with the SCORE folks in Pueblo last summer, and my wife joined me for each. It’s a great group that has a lot of fun. It’s also a great launch site, and I think anyone going is going to have a really good time.

Projects: Semroc Saturn 1B, Ken Foss Designs Mini Satellite Interceptor
In the Paint Shop: Nothing! Too cold!
Launch-Ready: Farside-X, Maxi Honest John, Super Scamp