Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > WOOSH - Wisconsin Organization of Spacemodeling Hobbyists > WOOSH News
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-2011, 07:18 PM
Master Modeler

Default Too much

Too much of a waste of time. It needs to be edited so we get the launch first and then the set up to the launch.
Old 06-18-2011, 11:06 PM
L- 3 rated nutball

Default Talk about complex...

When I introduced the project I wanted folks to have some basic understanding of what it is we were about to do. Sure, some of the people on the field were itchin' for us to push the button and get it over with but if you didn't understand what the flight plan was then how would you know if we were successful?
The rocket was unlike any basic 3FNC rocket by a large margin.
We actually ran the Estes model in a windtunnel to figure out where the CG had to be in order to guarantee stability. Who does that?
The thing came down in four sections, each under their own parachute.
The little nosecone you see on top of Brad Deimels' head weighed 22 lbs. alone.
It had to have it's own parachute.
We debated a recovery plan over and over again and when we settled on what we did we had confidence that the rocket would recover as planned.

Yes, the saucer section staging was completely under the control of the Wireless remote control. The first event on the WRC was to stage the saucer, the second event on that handheld unit was to pop the chutes on the saucer. The saucer also had a Gwiz MC onboard to automatically control the chute deployment. If anything had gone wrong during the initial boost the man on that WRC would have fired the parachute deployment charge and skip igniting the K510 in the saucer. By the way the saucer also had two separation charges built into the bottom of it to push it off the booster. They were wired to fire along with the saucer motor.
The Outlander booster had it's electronics inside one of the large tanks on the side of the craft. This also held a WRC and a Gwiz MC. Plus a PET 2 timer. The Timer was supposed to fire the four Cesaroni smoky sam G motors in the horizontal tanks for spin motors. It would have looked cool but I doubt they would have actually spun the rocket much. They never lit, we never investigated why but in subsequent flights using that timer I have found that the darn thing just doesn't work. The WRC and the Gwiz MC were both wired to fire the main parachute charge. One or both worked as planned. I know the guys pressed the button on the WRC but my gut tells me the G wiZ actually fired the pyro charge. There is a pretty long delay in the actuation of a charge when using the WRC. I don't think that they reacted that far in advance to get that deployment to have worked that well. Trust the Gwiz MC is my moto.
Old 06-19-2011, 04:42 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlazarus6660
Too much of a waste of time. It needs to be edited so we get the launch first and then the set up to the launch.

At the bottom of your screen when watching the video, you will find a little slider. You can use that to skip past the parts you do not want to watch.

If you're going to watch rocket videos, you had better learn to use it.
Old 06-19-2011, 09:12 AM
Old BAR

That was really an awesome piece of hard work and a great flight!
Thanks for showing us!

Allen