Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Cool In the Company of Giants...

I see that several of us have birthdays in early January (including one Bob Cox, notably on the 1st).

While most of us know that Vern Estes celebrates his arrival on the planet January 4th,
I also recently discovered that the late Isaac Asimov's birthday was January 2nd.

Funny, then, how insignificant little Me managed to squeeze My Particular Day in between Isaac and Vern, two people who contributed significantly to the fields of science (and fiction) and model rocketry.

Too. Stinkin'. Cool.

(And for the record, I'm Forty Frickin' Four.)

Cheers, and happy birthday to all us January folks,

--Jay
Old 01-02-2006, 11:02 AM
BAR

Happy birthday Jay. Welcome to the 44 club. Gotta love those Foundation novels.

-Paul
Old 01-02-2006, 03:08 PM
Rocketaholic

Question Is there a Model Rocketry Museum Somewhere in the US??

I was wondering since this section is about History. I do recall a few years back that someone in Arizona was trying to get a Model Rocket Museum going. I thought it was a great idea. I know that quite a lot of rocket enthusiasts would love to donate some rare kits from the past to a museum that would really want to preserve something that could be a place of education and of resourses for the next generation.
I was going throuhg my garage prior to re-deploying for the umpteenth time to a far off land and I noticed that I have a lot of rare items. Old Model Rocket news articles, literature and scale data from previous NAR competitions and even part of a Cold powered rocket kit from Vashon industries. It really would be great if there was something like that for the rocket and rocket history enthusiast.
I remember when there was the Rocket Collectors magazine that was in circulation for a few years, I still have almost every copy. There was a lot of intersting historical items in there.

If anybody knows of a place, please let me know.
Old 01-02-2006, 10:30 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Question "The Foundations... are canyoning" (Incubus, "Talk Shows on Mute")

Dear Paul,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
Happy birthday Jay. Welcome to the 44 club.
Thanks! I appear to be in good company.

Quote:
Gotta love those Foundation novels.
Funny that you should mention that. I finally sat down and read the first three novels (which were very early 1950s-ish in flavor) last year, and I came away with the odd feeling that Things Happened Because Smart People Wanted Them To... ...which had Very Little To Do With my Life Experience So Far!

But, "Great Cosmos!" --He *was*... The Good Doctor, and he will be missed... some more.

Cheers,

--Jay
Old 01-02-2006, 10:40 PM
Incurable SEMROC Fan

Talking About that Rocket Museum...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketaholic
I was wondering since this section is about History. I do recall a few years back that someone in Arizona was trying to get a Model Rocket Museum going. I thought it was a great idea. I know that quite a lot of rocket enthusiasts would love to donate some rare kits from the past to a museum that would really want to preserve something that could be a place of education and of resources for the next generation.
[snip] If anybody knows of a place, please let me know.

Robert Craddock at the Smithsonian was working on that about (counting on fingers) 4 years ago or so. Notice the last 3 paragraphs here:

http://www.nasm.si.edu/research/cep...craddock_cv.pdf

Cheers,

--Jay Goemmer
"Centuri Guy"
Old 01-03-2006, 06:20 AM
Rocketaholic

Default Museum Of Model Rocketry

Thank you for the information of Mr Craddock. Mr. Craddock has done a lot of great things for the hobby. He was the editor of the Rocket Collectors Journal. I would love to see any or all of the back issues on a web site somewhere. I have almost everyone of the issues. Maybe I can scan them in and post them on the web when I get back to the states.

We are all getting older that is a fact. I am one year shy of the 40 yr club. I feel 25 still until I look in the mirror or at a digital image of my face. I look tired and worn. I do not feel that way though.

A lot of great founders of the hobby of Model rocketry are passing away. I wonder what stories and hidden secrets or funny stories may have gone with them. We are at a very historical moment for the hobby. It used to be nothing but little solid black powder motor. Now the common thing at any launch are reloadables or hybrid motors. Some have even used liquid fuel. There is a lot to learn still and I know that ever since 911 our hobby has been scrutinized and sanitized more than ever it should be. It has made us reflect as well as to where we are in the hobby, and where we want it to go.
What is really sad, is that more youths get more enjoyment playing video games and vegitating out in front of the tv. There are educational parts to playing the games and so forth, but moderation is the key. when I was a kid building models, seeing how things operated occupied most of our time and of course getting to watch the astronauts go up to the moon and back. We took that for granted.
I can remember in 1976 going to the Johnson Space Center and attending Spaceorama. It was a hobby enthusiast dream. there were different areas at the center that were doing different hobby related shows. Some were R/C and the one that caught my eye was the rocket launches. They had the complete display out of the Estes and Century rockets. Once person had launched the Maxi V2. That was one of the biggest rockets back then.

I did not have a camera, I wish I did though. the pictures would have been something.
I know that other states have had interesting functions related to rocketry. It would really be great if there was a place to share them with. The web is great. maybe in the meantime, there could be a model rocket museum on line.

what do you all think.
Old 01-03-2006, 08:08 AM
BAR

Quote:
What is really sad, is that more youths get more enjoyment playing video games and vegitating out in front of the tv. There are educational parts to playing the games and so forth, but moderation is the key. when I was a kid building models, seeing how things operated occupied most of our time and of course getting to watch the astronauts go up to the moon and back. We took that for granted.

<On Soapbox>
That is why we all need to do our part with our own kids, our kids friends, local scout clubs, 4H clubs, etc. to help teach classes to the youngsters while they have fun *and* learn about science at the same time. This can help reduce the number of video games these kids play, (we especially dislike the violent ones targeted to kids!). My wife and I let the kids play so-called edutainment titles on a PC, but are resisting bringing any pure video game into the house. My 8yr son gets such a sense of accomplishment after building a rocket, then launching & safely recovering it (and so does dad!).
<Off Soapbox>

Quote:
The web is great. maybe in the meantime, there could be a model rocket museum on line.
what do you all think.

Interesting idea. Maybe something hosted right here on ye olde rocket shoppe!

-Paul
Old 01-03-2006, 09:04 AM
Rocketaholic

Thumbs up I agree Paul:-)

I agree Paul, both are true. I have volunteered my time when I can to go to youth groups and share the fun and demonstrate the different types of models and differnt types fo recovery systems there are in rocketry. It has been great. I have two young boys and when we can, we build together and go out and launch. They love it. There is a program also called The Yound Astronaut program. I have worked with that program as well. it is really cool.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:18 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:
I was wondering since this section is about History. I do recall a few years back that someone in Arizona was trying to get a Model Rocket Museum going.

While Bob Craddock was indeed looking into doing something like this in DC, he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

The person you were originally thinking of in AZ is Bill Stine, owner of Quest Aerospace. You can reach him via the Quest website.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 01-03-2006, 01:29 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ltvscout
While Bob Craddock was indeed looking into doing something like this in DC, he seems to have fallen off the face of the earth.

Yeah, just about. I think that rocketry isn't too important to him anymore. We had a brief email exchange about 9 months ago and that was that.