Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2006, 06:05 PM
The_Ripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEL
Stop right there!! Is this one we know about or are you holding out on us? What 2-stage 1.34" Enerjet rocket? Can you send the plans to Scott? Can you tell I'm having a bloody caniption (sp?) ???!

Sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Sean,

it was in an old Model Rocketeer or Model Rocketry, thinking rocketeer..... I actually was looking fo rthe plans a while back and did nto find the right issue, bubt as I recal it was touted as an 'unproduced enerjet' .

will see what I can come up with for info .

~AL

AL / Sean

Did anything ever turn up on this? David Stribling posted a link in another thread with pictures he took of a 2-Stage EnerJet rocket. There's an interesting image he took of Larry Brown with a Nike-Ram that appears to be trimmed out in Black and Silver with small white horiz bands on the payload section!

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...56&postcount=20

As far as the 2-Stage EnerJet rocket the upper stage of this one looks very similar to a Centuri Argus - too long to be a real 1340 beneath the transition. I wonder if there were plans for that? I'd love to see them

(and yes, I'm still hopelessly searching for still more EnerJet rockets to recreate - am I sick or what?)
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-09-2006, 07:02 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Steve,

for the life of me I can NOT find the plans..

I know for a FACT it was a published plan, and attributed to Enerjet, I thought it was in Amspac, or model Rocketeer, but I've checked all my issues, CRM,HPR,etc and nothing....

I will have to get some pics, it basically has Nike-Ram style fins, and I recall the plans having specific tube lengths,etc, since I went out and bought FSI parts ( then still available) to clone it, and had to cut two differnt tubes for the body / payload ( ie: no stock lengths/ too long for making it all from one tube), I think I might still ahev the small cut-off tube sections to this day.

I * DID * however, find a photo ( scanning in a sec, lol ) of BJ Humphries, holding what I know is this bird design.
photo was in the April 1983 California Rocketry mag centerfold, if you have that issue.

off topic - CRM is an awesome look back at early Hpr / MRT activities, lots of pics,etc. (including Jim Tucci, and other ex-Florida guys who are now active on the old rockets listserve :-)... it'd be nice if these could be posted, I don't have em all - if anyone has any extras let me know :-) - but would scan what I havemif permission to post could be arranged ( hmm.. Jerry or Chuck ? )

let me know if you want the design for this bird, I can always measure / trace mine.. still annoys me to not find the plans, because I know I did not imagine em, lol

~ AL

psL photo in next post.. my scanner's being a pain (still ), majorly green tint, any advice, or is it toast ? ( I reinstalled the drivers,etc after having a whole batch of YORP scans be unusable, some I sent this time were ok, so not sure how to adjust more :-(

Last edited by Green Dragon : 09-09-2006 at 08:45 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 07:09 PM

ok, here's the scan as best I can get it to go ( CRM photos / printing was not exactly perfect anyways,lol ) .

BJ humphries with the two-stager.

My own looks like this one ( note payload section/cone not in photo), except mine is painted in 80's poupular bright paint - metallic burgundy and purple with mylar trim, but with flourescent orange booster... will try to get a pic of my version , now that I have batteries for the camera :-)

also will get pics of my LASOR clones as promised.

~ AL
Attached Files
File Type: tif bjenerjet.TIF (420.3 KB, 128 views)

Last edited by Green Dragon : 09-09-2006 at 07:16 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:22 PM
Officially Middle-Aged Rocketeer

Quote:
Steve,

for the life of me I can NOT find the plans..

I know for a FACT it was a published plan, and attributed to Enerjet, I thought it was in Amspac, or model Rocketeer, but I've checked all my issues, CRM,HPR,etc and nothing....

I will have to get some pics, it basically has Nike-Ram style fins, and I recall the plans having specific tube lengths,etc, since I went out and bought FSI parts ( then still available) to clone it, and had to cut two differnt tubes for the body / payload ( ie: no stock lengths/ too long for making it all from one tube), I think I might still ahev the small cut-off tube sections to this day.

I * DID * however, find a photo ( scanning in a sec, lol ) of BJ Humphries, holding what I know is this bird design.
photo was in the April 1983 California Rocketry mag centerfold, if you have that issue.

off topic - CRM is an awesome look back at early Hpr / MRT activities, lots of pics,etc. (including Jim Tucci, and other ex-Florida guys who are now active on the old rockets listserve :-)... it'd be nice if these could be posted, I don't have em all - if anyone has any extras let me know :-) - but would scan what I havemif permission to post could be arranged ( hmm.. Jerry or Chuck ? )

let me know if you want the design for this bird, I can always measure / trace mine.. still annoys me to not find the plans, because I know I did not imagine em, lol

~ AL

psL photo in next post.. my scanner's being a pain (still ), majorly green tint, any advice, or is it toast ? ( I reinstalled the drivers,etc after having a whole batch of YORP scans be unusable, some I sent this time were ok, so not sure how to adjust more :-(

Al,

I'd love to see the specs on this - no idea what it was called, eh?

Sean
Old 09-10-2006, 08:55 AM
The_Ripper

Quote:
ok, here's the scan as best I can get it to go ( CRM photos / printing was not exactly perfect anyways,lol ) .

BJ humphries with the two-stager.

My own looks like this one ( note payload section/cone not in photo), except mine is painted in 80's poupular bright paint - metallic burgundy and purple with mylar trim, but with flourescent orange booster... will try to get a pic of my version , now that I have batteries for the camera :-)

also will get pics of my LASOR clones as promised.

~ AL

AL

Thanks for posting the image and yes I'd be interested in specs on this one as well as a pic of your version when you have time!

Very interesting and if you read all of the text in that photo from CRM it states that Gary R. took the photo at Anaheim Stadium in 1974. There are two small images I used in my post about the ARG Prototypes that I just finished building that were taken from the October 1982 CRM of the "Historical" EnerJet two-stage rocket designed by Larry Brown and that rocket was also referenced in that article as being flown at Anaheim Stadium in 1974, pretty cool huh?

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/show...900&postcount=7

I guess Anaheim Stadium was the place to be in 1974 to see a lot of these EnerJet rockets fly first hand

In the October 1982 CRM issue there was a dimensioned drawing of the Larry Brown two-stage design as drawn by Jerry 8-14-82. I don't have permission to post the plans but for your trouble of getting us some specs on yours, I'd be more than happy to email you the entire page that I cropped the images from that includes the dimensions for that rocket. It wasn't a true 2250 booster because it used 24mm motor tubes in Centuri ST-20, not 29mm motor tubes like I had originally thought and was a typical Larry Brown design, very unique.

{In that same April 83 CRM issue you referenced and posted the image from there is a cool USR ad that shows Jerry's EnerJet 2650 Uprated in flight on F100-0's staged to F100-10's}.
SAM# 0052

🚀 In Construction: Der Blue Maxx/Minie-Magg 5.5” & Vander-Burn MDRM Clone w/Stickershock23 Custom Decals
🚀 In Paint & Detail: USR Banshee
🚀 In Build Queue: Estes Doorknob w/Vander-Burn Rocketry Upgrade Kit [Sport Decor], Semroc Centurion-F, Semroc Egg Crate
🚀 In Repair: SLS Lil’ Hustler, SLS Aero-Dart 1969 Trim
🚀 Stay Tuned For Fall 2021 Launch Dates
Old 09-10-2006, 09:08 AM

Steve,

will have a 'surprise' for you later, once I get my scanned ported out

I actually have the CRM issue with the 2250 based 2 stager you built, but appreciate the offer.

( do you have a list of what CRM isues you have, here's a list of mine, if you have / need scans I'd love to trade :-)
California Rocketry
.........NEED April '81 (?1st), July '81
Have: Oct '81; Jan '82; April '82; July '82; Oct '82; Jan '83,April '83; July '83
........... ? need any after July '83 ???
(Oct '83,Jan '84,April '84,July '84 - these per Jerry's site )

I'll have to go back and look for that 2 staged 2650 photo, I was just thirlled to find the one I posted, lol ...
although, what else I recall from that centerfold is the ' what happened to Jim Jaworski' info,and pics of 38mm J motor flown in ,like 1980 ?
and the back cover USR ad has some great photos, including the Jaworski rocket ( later kitted by Jerry as the Megaroc ),on J and 8 x D12 power, iirc.
I might have to build a Megaroc for old time sake, I have the USR Mongrel, which uses the same fins, so I have patterns.(lmk if you want any 'unpostable' patterns,lol- AAA, Ace, USR, Loc,etc).
Did find a tracing I did of the fin pattern for the West Coast Rocketry Screamer kit, while looking for the AAA info I promised.
( see review here: http://www.rocketreviews.com/review...r_screamer.html ).
would be real easy to clone with Semroc or BMS Bt70HD tubing,and semi-custom cone.
I do know the original WCR kits used Kosdon 1.9 and 2.25" casting tubes, same tubing as Aerotech 1.9 ( also started life as 54mm casting tubes) and the 2.25 same as USR and Cd/Stargates tubing. ( this info straight from Kosdon when I was a dealer ).

more info as it turns up.

~ AL
Old 09-10-2006, 09:17 AM
Ye Olde Rocket Shoppe

Quote:

Al,

Yes, it's your scanner hardware itself that is bad. Now you know what to ask for for your birthday or Christmas! It would be great if you could get a new scanner (they're really quite cheap now compared to a few years ago) since you have a lot of old plans, etc we could use on the site.
Ye Olde Rocket Forum
WOOSH NAR Section #558
Old 09-10-2006, 06:48 PM

ok guys, I have a breakthrough of sorts.

here's the scoop / what I recall, etc.

1) I know for CERTAIN this was a published plan, but for the life of me can not find it
I'd assumed maybe CRM, or High Power Research, but have triple checked every issue I have - might have been Model Rocketry, but I doubt it as most of the copies I have have come in the last couple years thanks to ebay.
I even checked all my club newsletters, just in case, with no results. .... thinking now it might have been in SNOAR News, since some members of our club were subscribed, and about the right timeframe, iirc.

2) I did find an invoice from Magnum Inc, Dec 1993 that has FSI 1.34" parts tacked onto it, which I;m fairly sure were for this bird, so that's about when I built it .

3) I found the drawing posted below in a folder I have
hand drawn with dimmensions,etc, but rather detailed lengths, etc - I know this was not something I dreamed up, as I'd have just cut the tube and had it at that ( ie" boost and payload = 18" so one tube could be used, or else 18" sustainer tube, one cut for pl/ booster, etc.. hey I'm lazy with scratchbuilts, lol

sooo.. the mystery as tot he origin of the plans I saw deepens, but the photo of BJ Humpries prooves the bird exists, it;s too close of a match to my drawing and builtup .
Photos of the built rocket show my "heavily influenced by Ron Schultz and others in the late 80's " auto paint,mylar wraps,etc.

Enjoy .

~ AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Enerjet Sonic 36 drawing.JPG
Views: 107
Size:  96.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sonic36.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  27.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  sonic36b.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  53.9 KB  
Old 09-11-2006, 07:54 AM
Master Modeler

Oh Lord... Someday I will make a list
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  rockets12.JPG
Views: 142
Size:  292.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets11.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  309.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets10.JPG
Views: 123
Size:  183.6 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets9.JPG
Views: 129
Size:  104.5 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets8.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  198.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets7.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  206.7 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets6.JPG
Views: 115
Size:  195.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets4.JPG
Views: 124
Size:  205.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets3.JPG
Views: 126
Size:  197.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets2.JPG
Views: 140
Size:  181.1 KB  

Old 09-11-2006, 07:58 AM
Master Modeler

And to think that this was the *still growing* collection 4 years ago...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:  rockets21.JPG
Views: 117
Size:  192.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets20.JPG
Views: 105
Size:  217.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets19.JPG
Views: 116
Size:  177.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  rockets18.JPG