Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Rocket Birthday Party

Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I need a bit of advice. Please feel free to comment on anything below.

I'm having a rocket birthday party for my to be 6 year old son (there will be 5 & 6 year olds there). My plan is to buy each kid a ready to fly rocket (probably the Athena), and help them do final assembly. I'd also like to let them do some decorating.... I'm guessing with markers.

Then I'll help each kid launch. I'm sure bunches of kids will go off chasing the landing rockets.

Aside from making sure that the kids don't touch the hot part when retrieving the rockets, am I crazy? I'm no rocket expert, but I figure this is doable.

On engines, I could use some advice. Buy a big variety pack or just a bunch of A-class or B-Class or C-class?

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:13 PM
BP Mafia

Drawing a blank on the Athema, but assuming that it has a plastic fin can, this would be the way to go. Depending on the size of the rocket and field, figure on a bulk pack of A8-3 or B6-4 engines. Remember that roaming packs of little feet are likely to be hazardous to the recovery of complete rockets. Estes and Quest, and possibly even Custom, have bulk packs available for rockets. Might save you a few motor bucks. Another possible bird is the Edmonds Tinee, an easy to build glider that flies on mini motors. They can be bought in bulk, also.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 07-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
Drawing a blank on the Athema, but assuming that it has a plastic fin can, this would be the way to go.

The new Estes Athena is an RTF model with a plastic fin can.
In finishing: Centuri Sabre clone
In primer:
In paint:
Ready for decals:

Bill Cooke
NAR #31312
TRA #19705
SAM #0001
Huntsville, AL

My rocket blog
My rocket fleet
Old 07-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Paper Rocketeer

Y'know - I was just telling someone at work yesterday about this. I read somewhere about someone launching a "Model Rocket Pinata". The idea is to use a large diameter rocket (something like a Big Bertha or even a stretched Fat Boy) and load the body tube ahead of the parachute with hard candies (obviously, chocolate would be a REALLY bad idea here). At ejection, the rocket kicks out the candy which showers down onto the field for the kids to find and gather. Keep it fairly low power and only launch in low wind, as all that extra weight up front is gonna make it want to weathercock.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:06 PM
BP Mafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpoehlein
Y'know - I was just telling someone at work yesterday about this. I read somewhere about someone launching a "Model Rocket Pinata". The idea is to use a large diameter rocket (something like a Big Bertha or even a stretched Fat Boy) and load the body tube ahead of the parachute with hard candies (obviously, chocolate would be a REALLY bad idea here). At ejection, the rocket kicks out the candy which showers down onto the field for the kids to find and gather. Keep it fairly low power and only launch in low wind, as all that extra weight up front is gonna make it want to weathercock.

(Imagining a big bird weathercocking over B6-4 Field and showering US 27 traffic with hard candy.) (shudder)

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc - Starfighter Scorpion Centuri - Mini Dactyl Estes - F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II, Xarconian Cruiser Semroc - Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark
Old 07-05-2011, 11:13 PM
Got it bad BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketParty
Sorry if this is in the wrong thread, but I need a bit of advice. Please feel free to comment on anything below.

I'm having a rocket birthday party for my to be 6 year old son (there will be 5 & 6 year olds there). My plan is to buy each kid a ready to fly rocket (probably the Athena), and help them do final assembly. I'd also like to let them do some decorating.... I'm guessing with markers.

Then I'll help each kid launch. I'm sure bunches of kids will go off chasing the landing rockets.

Aside from making sure that the kids don't touch the hot part when retrieving the rockets, am I crazy? I'm no rocket expert, but I figure this is doable.

On engines, I could use some advice. Buy a big variety pack or just a bunch of A-class or B-Class or C-class?

Anyone have any thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks.

This sounds like just the thing for a great party!
Just make sure that all the stuff that goes into the rockets can come out again!
Decorating with markers is a great way for the kids to express themselves. You will not believe how creative they can be.
Get a bunch of A8-3 motors, pick a good field with few obstructions and let them rip! launch each one after the kid that owns it starts out to get his. Far fewer midfield collisions that way!
I did this with my youngest stepson and the kids didn't stop talking about it for a week.

NAR 85416 L3 as of 4/2010

"There is never enough rope to do the job but it is always long enough to hang yourself up with problems"
Old 07-06-2011, 12:05 AM
Master Modeler

The ready-to-fly Athena is a great flyer. I fly one regularly and keep a couple with me as giveaways when someone is interested. I also have one with a modded-in payload section that gets used to test altimeters.

How big is your field? The Athena gets to about 200 feet on an A8-3, about 500 on a B6-4. I wouldn't even think of a C unless you have a really big place to fly/retrieve.

If you've never done this before, I'd strongly suggest getting one and flying it before the party so you can practice loading the wadding (four or five squares), folding the 'chute and just doing a safe launch. Also you'll have a better idea how much field it needs.

Bill: Athena 2452 "build" thread here: http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=7441
AMA 42160
KG7AIE
Old 07-06-2011, 07:31 AM
Paper Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Fish Named Wallyum
(Imagining a big bird weathercocking over B6-4 Field and showering US 27 traffic with hard candy.) (shudder)

I didn't say it was a GOOD idea, only that I'd read about it somewhere.
Old 07-06-2011, 08:25 AM
Roger Smith/JonRocket.com

We've helped a couple of small groups fly rockets for younger kids.

Here a couple of suggestions.

Give the kids some Sharpies and stickers (you can get sheets of small self-stick stickers at Michaels or a "dollar" store) and let them decorate the rockets.

Use the smallest recommended motor and make sure you have a couple of extra rockets. You don't want the rocket to go so high that a child loses a rocket. And, just in case it does happen, you should have a replacement on hand.

-- Roger
Old 07-06-2011, 09:51 AM
Rocket Dad

If you want to save a couple bucks, Art Applewhite 13mm saucers would be great. They could even do some of the glueing. Save a bunch on motors. Let a couple of your cooler birds rip for show.