Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-10-2006, 07:50 PM
BP Mafia

Default 9-10-06 Quark Launch

Got there late, but still managed 7 flights. Strangely enough, four of the rockets that I rushed to finish didn't even fly. ) I forgot that "finished" means "with launch lugs". I still made first flights with the Maxi-Wizard on an E9-6 and the ARG Black Brant IVB-30 (Hawaii) on an E9-8. The Maxi Wizard was a low and slow flight, but worth finishing. (It's still in primer.) The Black Brant was just the opposite. It ripped off the pad, recovered perfectly, but then drifted into the sun and I lost it. Luckily one of the guys I was flying with picked it up before it landed on the other side of the park. I drove after it to save my ankles the wear and tear. Other flights on the day were some refurbished birds, the first being a Thunder Roc on an E9-6. (No delay problems this time.) It broke a fin on landing when the chute failed to inflate until it was 30' over the soccer field. Next was the Moldin' Oldies Taurus on a C11-5. Perfect flight, and next time I'll try it with a D12-5 since it no longer has a motor hook to rip out. The final refurbished rocket was the SLS Vector V on an E9-6. Great flight and recovery, and not a terrible walk. My last two flights of the day were the Tau Zero on a B6-4 and an Estes Sentinel clone on a D12-7. The Tau Zero flight was perfect, but no streamer deployed on recovery. It didn't need one. It floated sideways and recovered in the weeds with no damage, but I doubt that it would have been damaged if it had landed on the soccer field. It was a very gentle landing. The Sentinel wasn't so lucky as the Kevlar caught a fin as it deployed and ripped under the fillet. A little CA will fix it without a problem and maybe I can get the decals printed before the next launch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, Tau Zero liftoff on a B6-4.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  128.3 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, ARG Black Brant IV-30 (Hawaii) liftoff.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  321.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, Centuri Taurus clone on a C11-5.jpg
Views: 87
Size:  308.8 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, Estes Sentinel clone on a D12-7.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  256.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, Maxi Wizard on pad.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  317.9 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, Maxi Wizard in flight.jpg
Views: 77
Size:  283.2 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, SLS Vector V liftoff.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  147.4 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Quark launch, September 10, 2006, Maxi Wizard liftoff.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  291.9 KB  

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2
Old 09-10-2006, 10:40 PM
BP Mafia

After all that, I forgot to mention the rockets that came home unflown. One was an MPC Icarus that I bought off Ebay back in 2002. The body tubes were badly creased and I found myself unable to get interested in the project, but it was one of the kits that I decided to finish earlier in the spring to get rid of the backlog. It looks great, but it would look better with a launch lug. Two were Goonys, the Sky Shriek and Galaxy Guppy that I posted about earlier in the week. The good news is that now I'll have the time to finish them before the next launch. The last one was the upscaled Galaxy Guppy. I ordered several of the Fat Boy cones from Red Arrow last week, and on Friday I got a phone call from the guy who bought our old house. Some genius, who shall remain nameless, forgot to change his address on the order. I picked them up on Friday night and had the rocket ready to go by this morning. Well, except for the launch lug. The good news is that I can use the same paint for this and the regular Guppy when the time comes to paint them.

http://wallyum.blogspot.com/

I miss being SAM 0058

Build floor: Centuri Design Contest F-150 Hurricane Estes - Low Boom SST Semroc - Marauder, Shrike, SST Shuttle

In paint: Canaroc Starfighter Scorpion Estes F-22 Air Superiority Fighter, Multi-Roc, Solar Sailer II Semroc Cyber III

Ready to fly: Estes - Solar Sailer II Semroc - Earmark, Groonie Der V 1/2