Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-08-2007, 03:21 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
I got one flight out of it on a C6-0, and THAT was too long a delay--it smashed to pieces on the ground under thrust.
<ROFL> Sorry for your loss, but you certainly have a funny way of describing it. My first take with the OL was that 24mm power was a must. I even had custom rings made up by BMS and distributed them to several DARS members although I can't say any of us ever actually got ours finished

The rings included the four small holes for the landing gear. My problem is that I keep redesigning the bird in my head and have thus never gotten around to building it. Sometimes you gotta shoot the engineers and start production...

My design change goals included: 1. 24mm MMT, 2. Improved landing gear attachment to minimize wiggle and twisting of the legs, 3. Repairability by being able to separate the lower section. A 4th goal, for one of my stash, was to upgrade the landing gear to be articulated ala the moon lander.

Goal #2 would forego the need for the custom rings and instead use some sort of hinges - store bought or fabricated - to tighten the wiggle and twist.

Now you see why I need to shoot the engineer...

Doug
Old 11-08-2007, 04:50 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Sams
...Goal #2 would forego the need for the custom rings and instead use some sort of hinges - store bought or fabricated - to tighten the wiggle and twist...

Robart "Hinge Points" for RC aircraft. They're designed to mount in a drilled hole instead of a slot, like typical "piano hinge" style hinges. Made of a solid plastic, some have metal hinge pins and some have simple plastic pins. There's also a 1/2A sized version which could work, but the mid-sized version for .40 sized AC would not be too large...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 11-08-2007, 06:13 PM
Master Modeler

Thanks for all those upgrade suggestions, guys. I'm following closely as I want to build mine
so it can get respectable flights and last a long time (like my vintage Mars Lander, one that
I've had since 1971)....
Old 11-08-2007, 06:56 PM
Re-BAR

^ I used to think that way too. Do you think you'll be alive in 36 years? If you are, do you think the flying condition of your Outlander will be of major consideration? I say wreck 'em while you can, but not intentionally of course. OTOH, from what I've read so far, the flights of the Outlander sound perfect for 80/90-something eyes and retrieval ability...
Old 11-09-2007, 09:31 AM
Craftsman

BobH48 had a easy method of modding the outlander to 24 mm without changing the centering rings. Seen here: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showpo...931&postcount=8
Old 11-09-2007, 02:47 PM
Re-BAR

^ Thanks for the info! That looks easy enough, the fewer CRs that need their hole enlarged the better for me.
Old 11-10-2007, 07:15 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigF
^ I used to think that way too. Do you think you'll be alive in 36 years? If you are, do you think the flying condition of your Outlander will be of major consideration? I say wreck 'em while you can, but not intentionally of course. OTOH, from what I've read so far, the flights of the Outlander sound perfect for 80/90-something eyes and retrieval ability...

My vintage Mars Lander DID nearly wreck itself several times after I became a BAR in
2003; I flew it for the first time (after being mothballed for some 22 years) at JSC in early
February 2004 (great flight). Next flight was closer to home a few weeks later; it suddenly
went unstable by fishtailing and zigzagging through the air before landing neatly upright on
all fours (while the smoke delay was still burning!) - had only minimal damage. Next flight
was at a HPR launch -- this time it REALLY went unstable -- which puzzled me as I'd never
had this problem with my Mars Lander before. I solved this by adding nose weight to the
balsa nosecone and it now flies perfectly. A really durable and superb model, if one is to ask
me.....