Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 06:31 PM
Level 5 Certified

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
That, my friend, is a great bit of trivia knowledge! But wait... Estes must've usurped the rights to the name. Mattel Sizzlers came out by at least 1969, and Estes did not have a model by that name until 1983, as far as I can tell. Did Mattel just fail to register the name? That seems very odd. Or did they not produce Sizzler cars for awhile and allowed the registration to drop, allowing Estes to take the name?

I am not sure how Estes came to own the trademark for 'Sizzler" over Mattel - it may have been one of these deals where Mattel let it expire and Estes picked it up.

Matt
Old 01-08-2013, 07:55 PM
Consigliere to Bill E.'s BP Mafia

This is a great topic. Again, Mr. Jeep makes an interesting point.
As an admitted noob to the forums, after a few months of harmless lurking, the one thing I didn't seem to find was any mention of the second Ranger. Six rockets survived from my last experience with rocketry (mid-80s or so) to my BAR-hood. One of them was this Ranger, completed in the catalog blue and yellow. D-powered, I always liked this one, and found it noteworthy that more hasn't been said about it.

Current project: Painting the roll pattern on my new Ventris build, gifted me by the estimable Dr. Houchin.
Old 01-09-2013, 05:00 AM
Trust me, it'll work!

As for Sizzler, a lot of companies use same names. They usually write up an agreement that each will not make anything like the others product.

One of the most famous was Apple Computers vs Apple Records. They originally agreed not to step into each others territory until the computer company made iPods that infringed on the music world.
__________________________________________________ __
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 PM
Old Far...er...Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycrofte
As for Sizzler, a lot of companies use same names. They usually write up an agreement that each will not make anything like the others product.

One of the most famous was Apple Computers vs Apple Records. They originally agreed not to step into each others territory until the computer company made iPods that infringed on the music world.
Those "agreements" get written when there is a conflict. As I recall on the Apple deal, the computer company won.

A name is protected only in its market category. If I named a car Sizzler, or a hamburger or some gym shoes, I ordinarily don't need to worry about a conflict with someone using that name on a rocket. It's only when I try to use the name within the same product category. Presumably, rockets fall into the toy category with Hot Wheels cars so Estes owns it and Mattel can't use it. But folks don't write agreements to share these things unless somebody starts challenging someone else's use.

Doug

YORF member #11