Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Sky High

Default What rockets to you have in your collection? Lets see some pictures and lists!

I first started my hobby in rockety in 1992 or 1993. I can't remember which. I did fill out a flight card in 1993. (Yeah not as long ago as some of you old timers...I know)
It was my father, me, and my two younger brothers who built them back then. I was only 11 or 12 at the time, and enjoyed building and flying our rockets. My father even kept the kits we had built and some we even flown all these years. I knew he kept them even with 3 moves. I had him ship me out the rockets about 3 months ago, and I repaired some of the broken fins from shipping.
One day back in 2003 I was bored and had some extra money that was just burning a hole in my pocket so I did some research and found hobbylinc to get some rockets. I got the Mean Machine (which my Dad wouldn't buy at the time) and some others I liked. I built a few rockets a few days after the order arrived, but then got busy and packed them away in the closet.
About two months ago I had just finished going to Devry Univerity here in Phoenix, AZ and since I had some time in the afternoons I pulled out the box of what I ordered and started to finish and paint the rest of the lot. I flew most of the ones I got in 2003 with my friends and their kids, along with some other kids in the park.
I ended up loosing my Mean Machine due to it flying over the highway, and out of sight. (This rocket I built some time in 2004 but didn't prime and paint 'til this Summer so it was sad to see it fly away)
I also lost a Sizzler after I punched it with a C6-5.
I have a Wacky Wiggler that I didn't put enough wadding in, so it burned the nylon.
I flew my Big Daddy with a C11 motor in it which was not enough... it plopped to the ground and then the delay fired to release the parachute after the hard landing (bent tube near nose cone, fins-no damage).
I have more rockets in my collection (22 or 23 at the moment) and have 5 shipping from hobbylinc again.... Replacement Mean Machine and Sizzler along with Eliminator-E, Executioner-E, and Bandito. I also will be getting (in transit) a replacment Wacky Wiggler, along with a Mongoose.
My last one (for now I hope) I have the parts ordered from Uncle Mikes Rocket Shack will be 7.5' or 9' with BT-80 tubes, pointed plastic nose cone, it will fly with 4 x E motors, and have a 32" chute. I don't know what color I'll paint or the name I'll give it yet.
Anyway that's my story, I will make a list of my collection soon and will also get some pictures online sometime this week or next.
I use www.imageshack.us (free up to 1.5mb filesize) to host my pictures.

So what is your history in the hobby?
How many rockets do you have? List them?
Let see some pictures too!

Mark S. in Glendale, AZ
Old 08-14-2008, 08:51 AM
Administrator

Old 08-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Born Again Rocketeer.....Again!!!

It may be cheating, but here is a posting from TRF that I put up a month or so ago. I will try to get the names of everything and edit it into this post. So far, I have about 30 on display and about 25 more to build. I am about 50% done on my latest rocket, the Interceptor - E. I am working on the last two fins then will work on finishing up the sanding on the fins. I am still undecided about the paint scheme though. We'll see.......

Once I get a total list of all my rockets, I will add them to this post.....

Rick

http://rocketryforum.com/showthread...highlight=fleet

Edit: Attached is a list of my current rockets. I just finished the list about 10 minutes ago.
Attached Files
File Type: doc My Rockets - TXFergie.doc (26.0 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by TXFergie : 08-15-2008 at 09:58 PM. Reason: Added List of Rockets
Old 08-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Too Many Initiators is Never Enough

This is where Scott Branche (Rokitflite) posts pictures of his unbuilt models.

As for me, I only have around 900 unbuilt kits. I don't know for sure as my hard drive crashed ten years ago with my list of kits. I had no backup so I had to recreate my list using a copy that was nearly a year out-of-date at the time.

Nowadays, I'll be searching for a specific kit and find a different one and think, "I don't remember having this kit".

Bob
Old 08-14-2008, 09:00 PM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

As for me, I only have around 900 unbuilt kits.

Bob

Wow, that makes me feel *much* better about my 170+ unbuilt kits!
Old 08-14-2008, 10:09 PM
BAR 13790

Default My collection

I posted on TRF pix of my collection from my 10 year anniversary as a BAR.
The thread is located at
http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=45796

Attached is a txt list of my rockets (only the built ones). I tried to keep track of how many times each one has been launched, the year it was completed, the manufacturer, and a brief description to help this aged mind keep track of which rocket is which.

I "only" have a little over 200 unbuilt kits. My wife thinks I have too many built/unbuilt kits as is. I could not imagine her reaction if I had 900!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Inventory post2.txt (9.8 KB, 248 views)
Old 08-14-2008, 10:37 PM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

I'm in the same category as Bob. If you count allthe PMC kits, I'm somewhere around a thousand, give or take a couple hundred.

*IF* I built one a week and NEVER bought another, I'd still probably be dead before I run out.
Old 08-15-2008, 01:53 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Here are the ones I have, atleast those that are documented. Most of them are from the 80's.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 08-15-2008, 07:54 AM
BAR Wannabee

Send a message via MSN to JRThro Send a message via Yahoo to JRThro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Initiator001

As for me, I only have around 900 unbuilt kits. I don't know for sure as my hard drive crashed ten years ago with my list of kits. I had no backup so I had to recreate my list using a copy that was nearly a year out-of-date at the time.

Nowadays, I'll be searching for a specific kit and find a different one and think, "I don't remember having this kit".

Bob

Bob,

If you think you have around 900 kits but don't really know for sure, you can be sure you have more than 900.

I think the last time rokitflite posted pics of his collection, his estimate of how many kits he had was low by around 200. Or he said he had a couple of hundred that weren't in the pictures. Or something like that. Anyway, he has a lot of unbuilt kits.

As for myself, I probably have between 30 and 40 unbuilt kits. And that's after selling off most of my collection a year or two ago.
John Thro, NAR #84553 SR
I was too old when I started! Now I'll *never* become a BAR!
Old 08-15-2008, 11:11 PM
Compulsive BAR

Send a message via MSN to Bob Thomas Send a message via Yahoo to Bob Thomas
Default Proof that I'm not alone!!!!

It is uncanny that just the other day my wife refused to believe that there were others so passionate about model rocketry. She believes I have more "stuff" than anyone. I made her come and view the post and pictures!!!!!

I especially thank Buzz for the archive links - when I first saw them, I had a paltry fleet of about a dozen. Now grown to almost 50 (two incomplete) and in the area of a hundred plus (many stashed -hidden from my mom, um..er.., I mean my wife).

Many times I tried to put together parts kits like Al (Green Dragon) but luckily I get distracted and actually build the clone instead.

I Keep buildin'em - gotta get out and Fly'em . Got about a score of virgins!