Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ
Default #1 new product Estes needs

I think the #1 product Estes is in a special position to create is a "continuity safe" launch controller. The practical reasons are clear. It would be compatible with all their existing igniters and also low current igniters for special applications. It would eliminate the liability of a person mistakenly hooking up a controller to a low current igniter and have it launch.

Whether it be an element of the mass-produced controllers Estes already makes, or an upgrade kit, it would be really nice.

Also wires to extend the distance "for safety and a better view of the flight" would allow Estes to ship controllers with minimal crippled lead lengths (15' or whatever) and sell an accessory of a simple wire stripped on one end and with clips on the other that would extend the range of wires on the controller to double. Compatible with the safety code for the "Mighty E".

Such a beast would almost certainly have an LED rather than a lamp and may even have a moderate loudness buzzer to provide continuity feedback without looking.

Just Jerry
Old 01-05-2011, 04:07 PM
I do not like Facebook

Not unless they feel they are losing launch controller/starter set sales to Quest. All of those improvements cost money.

Bill
Old 01-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill
Not unless they feel they are losing launch controller/starter set sales to Quest. All of those improvements cost money.

Bill
Agreed. Estes' warranty probably already covers such eventualities, particularly the part that says that using non-Estes products with Estes products voids the Estes warranty. I don't have a copy of it handy, but I believe it mentions that in the context of liability as well.

If a kid flying on a windy day hooks up his Estes Launch Controller to a Quest igniter and, while waiting for the wind to die down, tries to check continuity and then loses the prematurely-launched rocket due to excessive wind drift, Estes would (rightfully) say, "Sorry kid, no free replacement kit for you. You voided our warranty."
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR