Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2014, 06:53 PM
Intermediate Rocketeer

Default New Krylon Cover Master Paint

As I am sure most of you know, Krylon has changed it's formula. It is now a paint/primer combo called "Cover Master." I am not having much luck with the new formula. I am using the gloss black on a clone of the original Estes Renegade. The paint dries cloudy and has spots that are glossy but most is more flat. I have shaken the can, warmed the can in water, sprayed in low humidity, shaken the can til exhaustion, and no luck. The finish is lousy! This is too much trouble for a rocket that is only 2 colors!!!!! Can anyone recommend a good spray paint? I guess I will have to finally give up on Krylon.
Thanks!
Old 08-09-2014, 08:16 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by naslrogues
As I am sure most of you know, Krylon has changed it's formula. It is now a paint/primer combo called "Cover Master." I am not having much luck with the new formula. I am using the gloss black on a clone of the original Estes Renegade. The paint dries cloudy and has spots that are glossy but most is more flat. I have shaken the can, warmed the can in water, sprayed in low humidity, shaken the can til exhaustion, and no luck. The finish is lousy! This is too much trouble for a rocket that is only 2 colors!!!!! Can anyone recommend a good spray paint? I guess I will have to finally give up on Krylon.
Thanks!

I use Valspar and Rustoleum lacquers and Rustoleum enamels for most of the usual colors. I pull out the airbrush for those hard to find colors. If you are only needing gloss white and gloss black, Walmart Colorplace works well.
Old 08-09-2014, 08:44 PM
Old Submariner

Personally, for my rocket painting I use Rustoleum Painter's Touch rattle cans for about 75% of it, Testors little cans for about 15%, and the rest my wife and I paint by hand.

4 out of 3 people struggle with math.

Chemically, alcohol IS a solution.

NAR# 94042
SAM# 0078
Old 08-09-2014, 10:08 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

1) Brodak Butyrate DOPE shot out of a gun or vintage Pactra Aero Gloss Dope.
2) TESTORS/Model Master rattle cans
3) Rust-Oleum ORIGINAL (NOT painter's touch) formula.

All commonly-available Krylon is now CRAP.

Better than any of the above is Dupont IMRON Urethane or PPG Deltron Urethane.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-09-2014, 10:20 PM
NAR #78048 L1 - Life Member

I use Dupli-Color lacquer rattlecans. Can be recoated within 20 minutes, and takes Rustoleum Crystal Clear very well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Interstage.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  185.6 KB  
YORF #003
SAM #004
Old 08-09-2014, 11:18 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
I use Valspar and Rustoleum lacquers and Rustoleum enamels for most of the usual colors. I pull out the airbrush for those hard to find colors. If you are only needing gloss white and gloss black, Walmart Colorplace works well.

+1 to this... couldn't agree more...

Dump ANY "primer and paint in one" into the nearest trash can or yard sale, unless you need to paint wicker lawn furniture or your lawnmower or something... that stuff is WORTHLESS for getting a HIGH QUALITY finish on anything, including and especially ROCKETS...

It's just for chronically lazy know-nothing consumers wanting "quick, cheap, and dirty" paint jobs on crap around the house and garage, nothing SERIOUS. You CANNOT get a good-high-quality finish without PROPERLY priming and sanding the surface to get good surface preparation, period. 95% of getting a good finish is SURFACE PREP. There's no "magic lotion or potion" shortcuts if you want a great finish.

if you just want the surface covered with *something* that looks better than *nothing* that crap might work. Otherwise, if you want something GOOD, you have to go farther and work for a little more...

Not knocking YOU, but I would suggest that if you want a really nice finish, you have to dump that worthless crap and get some GOOD PRIMER, sand the surface to prepare it PROPERLY, and then apply a GOOD PAINT. Note here that "GOOD" does NOT automatically equate to "more expensive". I've gotten museum-quality finishes out of Wal-Mart Colorplace 99 cent a can primer and paint, IF DONE CORRECTLY (got two rockets I built sitting in the Cape Canaveral Air Force Station Museum right now). It's PROPER PROCEDURES that make the difference-- of course it's not that materials are unimportant, but you have to have the RIGHT materials...

IOW, a lousy paint or paint/primer combo is going to produce lousy results... but good techniques and skills can perhaps make it "acceptable"... Good materials, even the BEST that MONEY CAN BUY, will NOT guarantee a great finish without the proper skills and techniques behind it... and poor skills and techniques will result in poor results no matter HOW "fancy" the materials used...

Make sense??

Good luck! OL JR

PS... Duplicolor is another very good brand! Dump Krylon...
Old 08-09-2014, 11:20 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Brohm
I use Dupli-Color lacquer rattlecans. Can be recoated within 20 minutes, and takes Rustoleum Crystal Clear very well.

Very nice!

THAT is what you get with good materials and techniques and proper surface prep...

You CAN'T get that with some "one shot wonder" magic lotion and potion crap...

Later! OL JR
Old 08-09-2014, 11:30 PM
When Pigs Fly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
You CANNOT get a good-high-quality finish without PROPERLY priming and sanding the surface to get good surface preparation, period. 95% of getting a good finish is SURFACE PREP. There's no "magic lotion or potion" shortcuts if you want a great finish.
Good luck! OL JR .

BINGO!

www.oddlrockets.com
www.modelrocketbuilding.blogspot.com
http://www.nar.org/educational-reso...ing-techniques/
Your results may vary
"Nose cones roll, be careful with that."
Every spaceman needs a ray gun.
Look out - I'm the Meister Shyster!
Old 08-10-2014, 08:51 AM
Intermediate Rocketeer

I appreciate the replies but feel the need to clear up something. I have always used primer and sanding before painting my rockets. I even use wet sanding as a regular part of my finishing routine. I have always had good results with Krylon. What p*%%es me off is that they changed the formula and the paint/primer combo sucks! I do agree that Most rattle can paints are for the weekend DYI market. I use Tamiya cans for plastic models and small rockets but those small cans get expensive when finishing a larger rocket. I do appreciate everyone's input. I will try the brands mentioned.
Thanks everyone!
Old 08-10-2014, 09:27 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by naslrogues
I appreciate the replies but feel the need to clear up something. I have always used primer and sanding before painting my rockets. I even use wet sanding as a regular part of my finishing routine. I have always had good results with Krylon. What p*%%es me off is that they changed the formula and the paint/primer combo sucks! I do agree that Most rattle can paints are for the weekend DYI market. I use Tamiya cans for plastic models and small rockets but those small cans get expensive when finishing a larger rocket. I do appreciate everyone's input. I will try the brands mentioned.
Thanks everyone!

Ah, OK preaching to the choir... Well it's good to reiterate the reasons for newbs who might read this and not understand why this stuff is no good... After all, primer is primer right?

Krylon doesn't care about making a good product that suits it's customers... Its content to take the money off tinkerers who don't care or don't know any better...

Later! OL JR