Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2016, 02:11 PM
Master Modeler

Default Aerogloss Balsa Sealer no longer?

I have noticed my local hobby store no longer sells Aerogloss products, they tell me it has been discontinued. I also noticed on Tower Hobbies website that it is also discontinued. I cannot find it on Midwest products website but I did see it in their catalog. I have an email into Midwest and will let you know what I find out. This has been the best product I have ever used and it will be a bummer if it is no longer being made. I tried Sig Balsa sealer before and it was a pain to sand. I wonder if Brodak balsa sealer is any better. I will keep you updated.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:26 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Scigs-
I sent you a PM reply.

Sig needs to be cut 1 part thinner for 2 parts sealer then it is usable; if you have a can of Sig, pour 1/3 of the can into another container, then replace that 1/3 of said can with Butyrate Thinner.
If you want longer drying time, instead of thinner use Toluene/Toluol. If you want faster drying time, cut it with straight Acetone.

Brodak Sealer is almost exactly the same as Aero Gloss, but needs about 10% thinner in the mix. Brodak dopes are actually repackaged full-scale aircraft Randolph Dope.
Brodak makes a "Primer" that is really close to Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-20-2016, 12:28 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by scigs30
I have noticed my local hobby store no longer sells Aerogloss products, they tell me it has been discontinued. I also noticed on Tower Hobbies website that it is also discontinued. I cannot find it on Midwest products website but I did see it in their catalog. I have an email into Midwest and will let you know what I find out. This has been the best product I have ever used and it will be a bummer if it is no longer being made. I tried Sig Balsa sealer before and it was a pain to sand. I wonder if Brodak balsa sealer is any better. I will keep you updated.

I also noticed that back during the Christmas Holidays when I went on a building "spree" and needed sanding sealer and thinner. None of the nearby Hobby Lobby's carried anything of that sort, but I then tried a Hobby Town a little further away and they did have what I needed. Are these products a dying breed?!
Old 06-20-2016, 09:14 AM
Craftsman

I knoew the colored dope was phased out last year but had hopes the sanding sealer would stick around. But to be on the safe side I stocked the store up. but when that is gone I guess It will be SIG for me.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehbbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com
Old 06-20-2016, 09:18 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jablonski
I knoew the colored dope was phased out last year but had hopes the sanding sealer would stick around. But to be on the safe side I stocked the store up. but when that is gone I guess It will be SIG for me.
Mr. Bob
Countyline Hobbies
Grovertown, IN.
574-540-1123
countylinehbbies@yahoo.com
www.countylinehobbies.com

What brand Bob? The sanding sealer and thinner I bought from Hobby Town was the Aero Gloss brand.
Old 06-20-2016, 10:30 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
I also noticed that back during the Christmas Holidays when I went on a building "spree" and needed sanding sealer and thinner. None of the nearby Hobby Lobby's carried anything of that sort, but I then tried a Hobby Town a little further away and they did have what I needed. Are these products a dying breed?!

Yes, probably... VOC regulations I'd imagine.

Same reason you can't get decent spray paint anymore...

Later! OL J R
Old 06-20-2016, 12:57 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

Just order your Sanding Sealer and colored Dope from Brodak.
It IS better than the Sig stuff...has the right VOC mix right in the jar/can.
I'm lucky enough that I have 2 independent hobby shops within 15 miles and a 3rd within 40 miles that stocks the Brodak line, one of which stocks the ENTIRE line of Brodak colors.
One of the hobby shops still has a GOOD selection of Sig colored dopes in addition to quarts of Nitrate dope also.
Don't bail on the BEST finishing system that still exists for model rockets just because it is hard to get now. In years past, I would have rated 2-part Hobby Poxy Epoxy paint and K&B Super Poxy as the best, but those have not been readily available for decades.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 06-21-2016, 02:02 PM
Craftsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwmzmm
What brand Bob? The sanding sealer and thinner I bought from Hobby Town was the Aero Gloss brand.

Still some in the distribution network but when thats gone ...
Mr. Bob
Old 06-21-2016, 03:26 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Just order your Sanding Sealer and colored Dope from Brodak.
It IS better than the Sig stuff...has the right VOC mix right in the jar/can.
I'm lucky enough that I have 2 independent hobby shops within 15 miles and a 3rd within 40 miles that stocks the Brodak line, one of which stocks the ENTIRE line of Brodak colors.
One of the hobby shops still has a GOOD selection of Sig colored dopes in addition to quarts of Nitrate dope also.
Don't bail on the BEST finishing system that still exists for model rockets just because it is hard to get now. In years past, I would have rated 2-part Hobby Poxy Epoxy paint and K&B Super Poxy as the best, but those have not been readily available for decades.

Thanks for the heads up on Brodak ghrocketman, I've bookmarked that website so I'll know where to go in the future should our local hobby shops be out of sanding sealer and dope thinner.
Old 06-21-2016, 07:33 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
Scigs-
I sent you a PM reply.

Sig needs to be cut 1 part thinner for 2 parts sealer then it is usable; if you have a can of Sig, pour 1/3 of the can into another container, then replace that 1/3 of said can with Butyrate Thinner.
If you want longer drying time, instead of thinner use Toluene/Toluol. If you want faster drying time, cut it with straight Acetone.

Brodak Sealer is almost exactly the same as Aero Gloss, but needs about 10% thinner in the mix. Brodak dopes are actually repackaged full-scale aircraft Randolph Dope.
Brodak makes a "Primer" that is really close to Aero Gloss Balsa Fillercoat.

Use the thinner GH said. If you try to get by with big box store thinners, you'll ruin it.