Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Vendors
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 09-24-2014, 10:54 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
I still have a couple of Vikings I launch on occasion when I feel like using up my dwindling stock of old 21mm and 27mm engines.
You have just inspired a new FSI product idea (and thank you very much, Mr. Goddard, for the vote of confidence on the four-finned Black Brant IIA kit idea!). It is as follows:

FSI could offer "split" motor adapters (like Estes' plastic ones) that could be screen-printed to look like the old FSI 21 mm and 27 mm motors. These adapters could accept 18 mm Estes and Quest motors and/or Estes 13 mm motors (two different sets of 21 mm and 27 mm adapters, with differing internal "rib" heights [and different printed material on their outside surfaces], could cater to this). The 13 mm motor size 21 mm and 27 mm adapters could be printed to look like lower-impulse FSI 21 mm and 27 mm motors than the 21 mm and 27 mm adapters that are made to house 18 mm motors.
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 09-24-2014, 11:13 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
You have just inspired a new FSI product idea (and thank you very much, Mr. Goddard, for the vote of confidence on the four-finned Black Brant IIA kit idea!). It is as follows:

FSI could offer "split" motor adapters (like Estes' plastic ones) that could be screen-printed to look like the old FSI 21 mm and 27 mm motors. These adapters could accept 18 mm Estes and Quest motors and/or Estes 13 mm motors (two different sets of 21 mm and 27 mm adapters, with differing internal "rib" heights [and different printed material on their outside surfaces], could cater to this). The 13 mm motor size 21 mm and 27 mm adapters could be printed to look like lower-impulse FSI 21 mm and 27 mm motors than the 21 mm and 27 mm adapters that are made to house 18 mm motors.

Or I could do an old stand-by and just use a buttload of masking tape to fit an 18 or 24 mm motors in them......
Old 09-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Wooten
Or I could do an old stand-by and just use a buttload of masking tape to fit an 18 or 24 mm motors in them......
MMI's rubber band-wrap solution could also come to the rescue here, at the cost of "stickiness and stench." :-)
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR
Old 09-24-2014, 12:51 PM
Director of IT, Marketing for FSI

We are going to adjust all of them to take either the 18mm or the 24mm motor mounts. At the time of FSI the standards were not set, but as they are now, we'll adjust to match. BTW the FlightFoam nosecones are awesome. They can be sanded, primed, and painted, and hold 10xs the detail from a standard vacuformed nosecone.
Old 09-24-2014, 12:59 PM
Master Modeler

One hard decision that might have to be made:

Whether to make the larger "classic" FSI tube -- the one used as a BT for the OSO and Viking IV and the lower tube of the Nova and Orbit and such -- a bit larger. They were sized for the 27mm E and F motors, but could barely fit an Aerotech motor.

Making the tube a tiny bit larger would mean the kits could fly with (say) Estes BP E and F motors.

Or, keep the size as it is and supply a 24mm mount. There's a nice variety of 24mm motors and even the "large" models like the OSO and Voyager will fly really high on them.
NAR #27085 - Oregon Rocketry - SAM
Old 09-25-2014, 06:15 AM
Master Modeler

Make them capable of taking a 29mm with a sleeve to stick in for a 24mm motor.......
Old 09-25-2014, 05:47 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

I like Joe's idea.
The fairly new Estes 29mm engines closely approximate the old FSI F7 and are more reliable.

Now if they would just make a core/port-burning version of the F15 as a "F70" to approximate the old F100 in a reliable format.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 09-26-2014, 08:23 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghrocketman
I like Joe's idea.
The fairly new Estes 29mm engines closely approximate the old FSI F7 and are more reliable.

Now if they would just make a core/port-burning version of the F15 as a "F70" to approximate the old F100 in a reliable format.

Especially a booster version. I used to wow the scouts in our old troop back in Texas by launching a two stage with a F100 to a F7. Never had a CATO with that combo. However I did have a double CATO with an E60/E60 combo. First stage lit, went about 10 ft, CATO, that lit the sustainer and it went about 10 ft and another CATO.

Maybe also make a core burner version of the E16.......
Old 09-26-2014, 02:09 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

The old FSI E60 was the biggest POS rocket motor ever made.
I had a well over 50% cato rate with those turds.
Might still have a few of them...would have to chek my OOP motor stash.

I figured they were quarter-stick firecrackers that sometimes acted like rocket motors.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !