Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2014, 05:18 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Perhaps he will see this and post a bio about Art Rose?
Respect his decision to post to a particular narrow obscure forum. Respond on that forum or not at all.
Old 08-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Stop with the crass and search the file I POSTED for Art Rose and see he was a prolific author about internats, FAI, fiberglass airframes, copter and glide recovery and more. Publish or perish Wolfram.

BTW it is a simple fact I published three articles in Model Rocketry magazine. 1980's. I doubt anybody will ever read them since they are not searchable.

Jerry

Jerry,

Agreed on the "crass" . . . It's clearly inappropriate here !

A beloved, long-time rocketeer, Art Rose, has passed away and the Hobby is poorer for it. Each person expresses himself differently. Rather than honor Art's passing, Wolf has chosen to insult others, instead of respecting the nature of the thread.

Rest in Peace, Art !

Dave Fitch
Old 08-31-2014, 07:36 PM
FlisKits, Inc.

Thought this would be a good place to share an Art Rose story...

This was back in the days of Pearl River (site of most of my Art Rose stories). Art had invited a group of us to his house to socialize. While there he showed us his shop and stumbled upon something that got him all excited (it was fun to see him get excited. He was so animated)

He pulled out an 18" long BT-5 tube, with a nose cone on the end. No fins, just the tube and cone. He said, watch this...

He put the tube to his lips and gently puffed air into the tube, aiming across his basement...

The nose cone popped off and we realized it was attached to something.... Out of this tube came this long collection of wood strips and what looked like a space blanket.

This contrivance fully exited the tube and, before it had fallen more than a couple of inches, 20+" of wing unfurled as the craft stabalized and gently, ever so slowly, glided to the far wall loosing less than 4" of altitude. There it hit the wall and dropped to the ground. We had all seen our first flex-wing glider and I doubt any of us thought such a thing was even possible before this day.

He loved to share, and nothing in his head was off limits, with regard to rocketry. He truely wanted to teach what he knew. It was good.

Toad's Tavern - http://toadstavern.com/
Personal site - http://jflis.com/
Old 08-31-2014, 09:59 PM
Where'd it go?

Default it's Geoffrey Kerbel...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacklin
Upon further reading, I think this is the "Geoffrey" I've been looking for:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showth...25-Rose-fin-jig

Perhaps he will see this and post a bio about Art Rose?

Hi All,

During the manufacs forum at NARAM 56, Geoffrey Kerbel gave a presentation on
the RK-1000 (IIRC) fin jig.

BTW, I first met Geoffrey back in 2010 while at NARAM; great guy!

Bob

NAR# 54643 L-1

SAM# 043

AMA# 157091

VRCS# 154

A&P# 42x xx xxxx.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:23 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Art Rose

Thanks everyone for the kind words about my husband, Arthur. Olivia and Harry join me in saying that Spacemodeling and Spacemodelers brought much joy and pleasure to his life. We are proud of his accomplishments and love hearing from all the rocketeers who appreciated his intelligence, his talents, his professionalism, his love of sharing, his loyalty, his ethics, his enthusiasm, and his sense of humor.

With best regards,
Janet
Old 09-10-2014, 06:25 PM

Our warmest thoughts are with you and your family. Art will literally be remembered forever in this hobby. That's "a thing."
Old 09-10-2014, 07:47 PM
Almost shovel ready

As a fellow inventor of a device for the proper alignment of rocket fins upon body tubes, I have always admired the Rose Fin Jig, named for its inventor and creator, Art Rose, and I had tried without success to contact him recently. His invention stands as the benchmark for all such devices.

Though I never met Art Rose I am saddened by his passing and wish to extend my condolences to his family.
Old 09-10-2014, 08:56 PM

BTW Art Rose's device was gross overkill in engineering on a planetary scale to solve a known problem. Nobody will ever superceed his device. It rocks too much.
Old 09-10-2014, 09:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
BTW Art Rose's device was gross overkill in engineering on a planetary scale to solve a known problem. Nobody will ever superceed his device. It rocks too much.

I suspect that NASA may have used an "upscale" of Art's Jig to align the control surfaces on the Space Shuttle . . .
Old 01-20-2015, 08:10 PM
NAR Historian

I just read this post about Art's passing. If I may be allowed to share some fond memories, I recall going to the Vulture Squadron's Pearl River Model Rocket Seminar as a kid. Art always had his table there selling neat mod roc stuff, and he gave many lectures on model rocketry as well. His heart was generous and I recall him donating kits one year to the participants.

They were great seminars and it was a good era: Art Rose, Charlie Sykos, Bill Stine, Dick Nelson, Herb Desind, Col. Kuhn and more...

Chris Lance
NAR 29220