Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2009, 09:45 AM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Help with some old stuff

First off I'm new to this forum so if I've posted this in the wrong place let me know. My name is David Roe and I'm the grandson of the late William (Bill) Roe. This summer we are expecting to have a family get together to clean out my grandmother's attic in Colorado Springs. She still lives in the house on Weber St where I'm told they had some kind of rocketry meetings. I also know that there is a decent amount of model rocketry stuff up there that might have some historical value. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what sort of things we should be looking for and what to do with anything we might find.

Thanks for your assistance.

David Roe
Old 03-09-2009, 10:08 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

Definitely get in touch with Bill Stine (G Harry's son) at Quest. He's been collecting stuff for a model rocket museum.

http://forums.rocketshoppe.com/member.php?u=1901
Old 03-09-2009, 10:30 AM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone

Please.......DON'T THROW ANYTHING ROCKETRY RELATED AWAY!

If you HAVE to get rid of stuff, let us know here and I'm sure we can make what arrangements necessary to pick things up so they can be preserved for future rocketeers. There is a NAR club in Colorado Springs as well as Denver. As Mr. Kaplow has stated, Bill Stine is working on stocking a rocketry museum and he would be an excellent point of contact.
Old 03-09-2009, 10:56 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by roed
First off I'm new to this forum so if I've posted this in the wrong place let me know. My name is David Roe and I'm the grandson of the late William (Bill) Roe. This summer we are expecting to have a family get together to clean out my grandmother's attic in Colorado Springs. She still lives in the house on Weber St where I'm told they had some kind of rocketry meetings. I also know that there is a decent amount of model rocketry stuff up there that might have some historical value. I was wondering if anyone had any advice as to what sort of things we should be looking for and what to do with anything we might find.

David Roe

There is a person on this forum, though I don't know if he's logged on in awhile, named Mike Konshak.

Here's a link to one of his messages where he talks about going to meetings in your grandfather's attic!

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showp...139&postcount=4

And like the others, I'd recommend getting with Bill Stine. He's just a couple hundred miles away in Pagosa Springs. Also Vern Estes is still down in Canon City, and he might be able to assist.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:34 AM
Retired Missile Technician

Tom Lyons is the head of the NAR's Contest Board and has been collecting contest related items to help flesh out the early NAR contests and NARAMs.

Chas
Old 03-09-2009, 11:43 AM
Mr. Dual Eggloft

Location: Illinois: where our Governors make our license plates.

There's also Art Nestor, NAR Historian.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:43 PM
Old BAR

Anything worth selling, we have a great auction site here.............
Old 03-09-2009, 01:52 PM
rocket dinosaur

Quote:
Originally Posted by roed

David Roe

Since I never had the chance to talk or meet your grandfather in person, let me publicly say thank you to Bill Roe, as if it wasn't for a lot of hard work he put in back in the early 60's , we might not be here today. G. Hrary Stine leaned on Bill Roe a great deal year in those early years.

Bill Roe got the countries first permissive model rocketry law passed on 1960 I think it was there in Colorado Springs,Co. .

He is also the reason the NAR Pink Book is Pink.

Any corresopondance your father had with anybody in the rocketry field would be great to see. Any old NAR documents or publications like the NAR Model Rocketeer; any pictures or 8mm films from those days; old price sheets or catalogs from model rocket manufacturers of the day. Actually anything your Grandfather might have saved would be of great historical value.

great to hear from you

terry dean

Last edited by shockwaveriderz : 03-09-2009 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 08:43 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Thank you all for your advice. I won't be able to look at the attic until late June, but I wanted to get some idea before hand if anyone might be interested. I'm going to contact Bill Stine and see if he might be interested in anything. Of course any final decision as what to do with the rockety stuff will be a family decision. Thanks again for you help.
Old 03-11-2009, 09:50 PM
Junior Rocketeer

I guess Mr Stine doesn't allow e-mails from forum users. Could someone PM me some contact info for him?