Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 10:57 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Default Was in Penrose, Co today

On a return trip to California from Texas (I'm taking the long way), I passed through Penrose, Co, today. I had to stop by the Estes plant to see the source of all my childhood joy. However, the facility looked pretty run-down--overgrown with weeds and shrubs, in need of paint, and so on. A sign on the front door told me that the retail store had closed in 1994 and that public tours were no longer given, so I didn't go any further. There were some cars in the lot, though, so I don't think the place was abandoned. Does Estes still manufacture rockets and engines at this facility?
Old 07-29-2009, 12:15 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

That's kinda sad to read

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-29-2009, 01:00 AM
SPEV/Orion wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
On a return trip to California from Texas (I'm taking the long way), I passed through Penrose, Co, today. I had to stop by the Estes plant to see the source of all my childhood joy. However, the facility looked pretty run-down--overgrown with weeds and shrubs, in need of paint, and so on. A sign on the front door told me that the retail store had closed in 1994 and that public tours were no longer given, so I didn't go any further. There were some cars in the lot, though, so I don't think the place was abandoned. Does Estes still manufacture rockets and engines at this facility?

They manufacture engines way out back, but mostly they are just a warehousing and shipping facility. They may even drop-ship most things to walmart directly from china. I assume the R&D and marketing departments are still in the main building. They have said they want to move some manufacturing back here, but I don't know how much of that has been done.

They announced back in the spring that they were for sale, but if they aren't keeping up the appearance of the physical plant, I wonder how serious they are (or Barry's holding out till the recession eases)?

http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Estes_Industries

(edit) by the way, the Google Mobile has apparently been by the Estes plant, so you can "drive" by, on both Hwy 50 and on H Street using Street View.

Last edited by Royatl : 07-29-2009 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:05 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royatl
...http://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=Estes_Industries

(edit) by the way, the Google Mobile has apparently been by the Estes plant, so you can "drive" by, on both Hwy 50 and on H Street using Street View.

Thanks for pointing that out

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 07-29-2009, 06:37 AM
U.S. Manned Space Program Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
That's kinda sad to read

I agree that it is very sad that things have come to this. It gives me a greater appreciation for Quest, Semroc, and AeroTech.

Greg
Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 AM
Rocket buildin' machine

Seems like it's been that way for some time:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3696
Old 07-29-2009, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chanstevens
Seems like it's been that way for some time:

http://www.oldrocketforum.com/showthread.php?t=3696

Thanks for the link, Chan. I had not read that before. It seems that the late 60's and early 70's were a great time for Estes and Detroit (loved those muscle cars). Now both are languishing. Sigh.

Greg
Old 07-29-2009, 04:45 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul

I saw the same thing about this time last year when I went through Penrose-- I even posted a thread like this about it when I got back home to Texas.

AFAIK, the facilities are still in use, at least for the domestic production of Estes (not sure how much Chinese stuff they are still producing or selling given the Chinese lead concerns of the past year or two, so that may be the whole shebang?) I too noticed how shabby and unkempt everything looked-- weeds in the parking lot, peeling paint, stuff like that. I too was hoping for the nickel tour or at least visit the 'company store' and all I got was a flustered receptionist giving me the polite brushoff through the intercom when she found out I wasn't some salesman or executive with an appointment with a manager or something. It's kinda sad.

I know that you can conduct business in a place with peeling paint and weeds in the parking lot, but appearances, while certainly not everything, are important and shabby looks don't inspire much confidence. I mean, I know things are tight, but how much does a little paint and some Roundup herbicide cost, or even a good lawn mowing job a few times a year?? Surely there has to be SOMEBODY on the payroll who's "polishing wrenches" part of the time that could periodically be assigned to spiffing things up a bit??

I looked through the glass of the entry portico and could see the static models in what must've been the old reception area/storefront back in the day... I understand with insurance regulations and stuff that tours are probably impossible or impractical, but surely they could have SOME sort of mini-display of products available for the star-struck rocket touristas to see in the lobby, and maybe a rack with a few hangtag kits in the corner or something. It shouldn't swamp the receptionist so much that she couldn't do her job, because I'm SURE that there couldn't be more than a few folks a week that would stop in... a little courtesy goes a long way ya know...

If you were in Colorado Springs I hope you visited Apogee Components-- Michelle (the receptionist) played with my little 3 1/2 year old daughter with a tiny little spring-loaded "rocket pen" complete with launch pad and chatted with my wife while I looked around and visited with Tim Van Milligan, who took the time to come out of his office and say hello and chat a couple minutes. Michelle also gave us the nickel tour, which was basically just showing us around the front office and tour of the plant, which is mostly warehouse since kits are usually assembled from pre-ordered parts, so is basically a big "repackaging job" so to speak. It was cool though nevertheless. I bought a few kits and stuff while there and had a nice time for the 30-45 minutes I was there. It's easy to find-- about two blocks behind the Motel 6 on the main freeway through Colorado Springs in a little industrial park off the north side of the road.

I didn't get that far west, but next time I hope to get over to Pagosa Springs and at least see the Quest plant... I've heard Nettie will show you around there and chat a bit...

Later! OL JR
Old 07-29-2009, 05:04 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregGleason
Thanks for the link, Chan. I had not read that before. It seems that the late 60's and early 70's were a great time for Estes and Detroit (loved those muscle cars). Now both are languishing. Sigh.

Greg

Oh man, are you ever right! I was just in Detroit last month while vacationing at the MIL's and we took a little road trip up to Frankenmuth, Michigan, just east of Saginaw (in fact we spent the night in Saginaw), and saw the world's largest Christmas store (Bronner's) and ate at the Bavarian Inn (AWESOME German food, fried chicken, etc) and hit the cheese shops and candy shops, bakeries, and tourista shops the next day... GREAT little place to visit!

I thought parts of Houston were run down til I saw DETROIT... geez it makes even the dumpy parts of Houston look good! Parts of Detroit look like nothing's been done there since the 40's. We took a side trip to Detroit so I could go to Commonwealth Displays down in Southgate (SW Detroit). Everyone was really nice and I picked up a kit and some supplies and they graciously gave me an old store copy of the ROTW poster that was available awhile back. Even Detroit looks good compared to Flint, Michigan... MAN, that whole place looks ready for a D-6 Caterpillar...

It's a shame, really... but times change I guess... way things are going, the whole country may end up looking like that before it's over...

Later! OL JR

PS. Hey Greg, who do you fly with?? You aught to come out to Needville and fly with us here at Challenger 498 sometime... we'd love to meet ya! JR
Old 07-29-2009, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker

PS. Hey Greg, who do you fly with?? You aught to come out to Needville and fly with us here at Challenger 498 sometime... we'd love to meet ya! JR

Thank you for the invitation and I will tentatively accept. Typically I fly with Tripoli Houston, which uses the Hearne launch site. But I haven't been to a launch since April because of other commitments. I hope to make a launch as soon as my schedule settles down. I don't know when I will be able to get to Needville but I will plan to attend a launch before the end of the year. Are children welcome? I have a few .... and they have rockets!

Greg