Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2008, 06:33 PM
7/21/61

Wow,

The new guy comes on board and immediately hits one out of the park with the best thread title of the year and some really great historical info.

Carbons4, really nice to have you here.
Old 06-27-2008, 01:23 AM
German Model Rocket Builder

Thumbs up

Indeed!

Welcome to the club.

FSI also sold kits and engines in Germany.

I don't think I have any FSI kits but I believe I have one of those E or F engines lying around somewhere

An article of the Company in Launch Mag. would be great.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 06-27-2008, 07:58 AM
Launching since 1970.

NARAM 19 was great. FSI and the Reeses were always fantastic and attended all or most of the NARAMs back then (I went to 16, 17, 18, 19). I did a lot of mail ordering of FSI products.
Old 06-27-2008, 07:59 AM
Member in Good Standing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
Indeed!

Welcome to the club. [snip]

An article of the Company in Launch Mag. would be great.

I'll go along with that. Yes, an indepth interview would be great.

Welcome aboard, Carbons4
Old 06-27-2008, 08:37 AM
Craftsman

Default Fsi motors

When we first started making motors Larry had gone down to Georges place in Ok. severial times. Partialy to help with orders that we were way behind on. Like i said earlier, George was a smart guy but a bit cantankerous. He had his own schedule and it was not conducive to good customer relations for people needing their motors. Larry was learning as much as posiple and all of us were going down to Linda Hall libruary at UMKC learning as much as we could. Lonnie and Larry had to brush up on their Russian because at the time a lot of the technical books there on solid propellent were in russian. All the first production machines for 21 and 27 mm engines were manual hydrolic presses. We could put about six dies in back to back and run them thru manualy. The first 18mm motors flight systems produced were the Pulseators which had two distinct spikes and a sustainer phase. These motors never really went into production but I do have a couple prototypes in my collection. For a while ,I helped Larry with a rotary table he had bought from Franks Metals in KC that was originally a automated vacuum tube maker he was going to convert. By this time I was just working part time there and cant give you all the details. I was wanting to say the first 18mm machine was actually from a fireworks company they had got. Last i worked there was spring of 1986 and I was working on updating the catalog. There was a couple of sport models I had designed that Harold decided to bring out as new kits as well as Lonnie and larry earlier had built a WASP and a LTV scout to go along with the Black Brant II. The guys earlier had built a half scale ARCAS i wish they would have put into production.
Old 06-27-2008, 09:11 AM
Master Modeler

Hey carbons4, in reading your posts about the inside story of FSI, I'd wouldn't be surprised
if Mark (of LAUNCH) came knocking on your door soon for a feature interview.....
Old 06-27-2008, 09:23 AM
Craftsman

Default Fsi

A name i need to mention that I have not seen listed yet is Brian Reese. As I said Flight Systems was very much a "family affiair". Brian was Lonnie and Larry s nephew and worked there also. When Lonnie died Brian had to step up and helped Harold quite a bit. Like i said before these were great people to work for and Lonnie was a nice guy almost to a fault. Anyone that knew them personally knows what I mean. I saw at the Naram-50 there were having a old rocket guys reunion. I wont be able to make it but if some of you do raise a toast to Lonnie and Harold and all of the guys we miss from a fun hobby.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:04 PM
Craftsman

Default Fsi in Germany

I remember putting that order togther going to Germany Leo. We had sold individual orders around the world before that but that was one of the first major orders to go overseas. The mans name escapes me that was the importer/ distributer. I would remember it if i heard it. Lonnie and company were quite proud when that order first shipped. i remember putting in a few late nights getting that order ready to go.
Old 06-27-2008, 12:11 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

His name is Wolfgang Carstens.

He is sadly no longer in business.

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 06-27-2008, 12:16 PM
Craftsman

Default FSI in Germany

YES! thats it! Thanks for joging my memory.