Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Model Rocket History
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-2011, 07:15 PM
Dazed and Confused

NCR produced two different Corporals that I know of. I have both of them. One is approximately 2" and the other 2.6" in diameter. Both sizes of mine came with regular plastic nose cones.
Old 01-01-2011, 11:15 PM
Level 5 Certified

Yes, it all depenes on the time frame when you ordered the NCR kits, as to what nose cone type you got. The original cones were all Aerofoam, but the chemicals that made it up were ozone-producing and went out of production, so we switched to plastic cones. We used the Ace 4" cone for may years, and it was the first plastic cone we put in kits.

The original NCR Corporal was a 1.88" diameter; the later version was a 2.6" design.

Matt
Old 01-02-2011, 04:43 AM
Apollo Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofSteele
Yes, it all depenes on the time frame when you ordered the NCR kits, as to what nose cone type you got. The original cones were all Aerofoam, but the chemicals that made it up were ozone-producing and went out of production, so we switched to plastic cones. We used the Ace 4" cone for may years, and it was the first plastic cone we put in kits.

The original NCR Corporal was a 1.88" diameter; the later version was a 2.6" design.

Matt

Matt--

Good to see you here again! I hope you return and visit again on a regular basis.

Earl
SAM# 73
Owner/Producer
Point 39 Productions

Rocket-Brained Since 1970
Old 01-02-2011, 04:04 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
Issue with NCR is the rights and legalities of posting, as I understand - ( Owners not wanting it posted online ? ) . but definately interested in anything you can share man to man ( and would share as asked ) - the Corporal would be nice, I have one of those foam cones with no home currently, might be neat to use the lil orphan on something.

Who actually owns the NCR IP today?

Estes?

The original owners of NCR with Estes granted rights to use it?

Each party owns part of it?

Bill
Old 01-02-2011, 04:33 PM
Master Modeler

My AAA Magnum Penn Crude had one of those giant bottle-cones. Sadly, it got crunched during the first of the Crude's crashes. I think I replaced it with a LOC cone.

I remember those foam cones. I had a Corporal and a Quantum II. I can't says as I was a big fan of the cones, but it was an interesting technology.
Old 01-02-2011, 08:15 PM
SAM 0371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Since I cannot post on TRF, the weenie channel to say how bogus this is, here is the thread:

http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?t=17733

The rocket plan at issue is a custom kit by HSR/Buck and NOT an Ace kit. It is not an Ace Allegro of any description.

Just historically accurate Jerry

Jerry-

If it's bogus, I sure didn't know it was when I bought it. HSR ( during Gary Price's time ) had several other kits that were most definitely ACE. I bought an Allegro 2600 as well, with the balsa NC. I assume it was legit, it had an ACE header card.

Yeah, I know, a header card ain't much. I will have to see if I have the instructions in all of my junk. In any case, it is a cool rocket and I have enjoyed flying it over the years.

Did HSR/Buck issue any other kits you know of?

Jason Blatzheim
TRA 2405
Old 01-03-2011, 10:31 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Blatz
Jerry-

If it's bogus, I sure didn't know it was when I bought it. HSR ( during Gary Price's time ) had several other kits that were most definitely ACE. I bought an Allegro 2600 as well, with the balsa NC. I assume it was legit, it had an ACE header card.

Yeah, I know, a header card ain't much. I will have to see if I have the instructions in all of my junk. In any case, it is a cool rocket and I have enjoyed flying it over the years.

Did HSR/Buck issue any other kits you know of?

Jason Blatzheim
TRA 2405

The issue here is Korey Kline Ace kits and Steve Buck Ace kits. I presume Steve used readily available components to make previously unseen kits and called them Ace under his license agreement. I am not calling those historical. But they are certainly HSR OOP kits.

I believe HSR made other kits too. But they were parts and plan in a bag style, not full instructions and packaged for brick and mortar retail sale. He was a discount mail order distributor and launch attendee.

Jerry
Old 01-03-2011, 04:58 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Post a friggin' picture.

Jerry

OK - here is

lower cone - old NCR 1.8" foam cone ... waiting for a clone project.

top cone - Jerry should recognize - ORIGINAL High Test 2650 cone ( short hand turned balsa ), got this one from Chris, and am under the impression it IS the one flown at LDRS-1.

second pic is my vintage Aero-Roc, built in the mid 80's , modified for 7 x 18mm mounts, flies nice on 7 x C6-7 . ( Note the original Payload section and nosecone were lost at some point, currently has AAA bulkhead and payload tube and custom BMS cone speced to match the Stargate cone ( original kit has cone shaped more like an Estes BNC-70 ) .

enjoy ,

~ AL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3180.JPG
Views: 87
Size:  67.0 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  IMG_3181.JPG
Views: 72
Size:  58.9 KB  
Old 01-03-2011, 05:04 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
The issue here is Korey Kline Ace kits and Steve Buck Ace kits. I presume Steve used readily available components to make previously unseen kits and called them Ace under his license agreement. I am not calling those historical. But they are certainly HSR OOP kits.

I believe HSR made other kits too. But they were parts and plan in a bag style, not full instructions and packaged for brick and mortar retail sale. He was a discount mail order distributor and launch attendee.

Jerry

OK, clears up a little, if they were at least liscensed legal issues, if not the original design .

Will keep track of them for posterity, OOP will someday be vintage

( I guess ,to me, vintage HPR is pre-Tripoli, for the most part, but 80s-90s Estes is now 'vintage' so why not hpr ? )

~ AL
Old 01-03-2011, 05:37 PM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I believe all the original USR Hi-Test 2650 nose cones were handmade by Korey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Dragon
I guess ,to me, vintage HPR is pre-Tripoli, for the most part
I fully agree.

Jerry