Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Work Bench > Building Techniques
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2005, 07:25 PM
Master Modeler

Send a message via Yahoo to barone
Default Great Way to Store and Display Your Boost Gliders

Man, I don't know about you guys but I'm always having problems storing my boost gliders so they don't get broke. It got so bad (and tacky) that I actually hung them from the ceiling. Well, today I found a better way (and please don't tell me someone has been doing this for years).

I've been displaying rockets that can't stand on their fins by using CD/DVD spindles (50 CD cakes). Well, today I CAed a six inch piece of 1/2" dowell to the spindle and slipped my booster with the glider hanging on right over the dowel. Works great! No more dangling things from the ceiling.

Don
NAR 53455
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Deltie_0004.JPG
Views: 144
Size:  218.5 KB  

Last edited by barone : 11-25-2005 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:02 PM
AL Swackhammer , power freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
Man, I don't know about you guys but I'm always having problems storing my boost gliders so they don't get broke. It got so bad (and tacky) that I actually hung them from the ceiling. Well, today I found a better way (and please don't tell me someone has been doing this for years).

I've been displaying rockets that can't stand on thier fins by using CD/DVD spindles (50 CD cakes). Well, today I CAed a six inch piece of 1/2 dowell to the spindle and sliped my booster with the glider hanging on right over the dowel. Works great! No more dangling things from the ceiling.

Don
NAR 53455

That's a neat idea :-)

I've never thought of using the cd spindles / cases for that, lot better than just clogging the landfills.

I usually make my stands form nice flat wood circels, or other - get em from Micheals when on sale, seasonal 2 dimensianal cutouts used for home decorations,like 2-3" tall christmas trees ,etc.. Pumpkins might be on sale now, grab em for 10-12 cents, glue on a used casing ( or note Semroc sells motor casings, I bought a bunch for stands, nice and clean versus used case, and the price is right,too. - and bungo, nice stand :-)

as for gliders, I've been hanging them on my pegboard hooks for years, no problems, hand either by the pod or by the wing acrossed two hooks. then the pod by itself.

will have to start saving my reject Cd frisbees though, nice shiny stands

thought I had a pic of the few gliders I have, but no luck finding it, maybe later...

~ AL
Old 11-25-2005, 08:10 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by barone
...please don't tell me someone has been doing this for years...using CD/DVD spindles

Don
NAR 53455

I won't say I've been doing this "for years", but I do have a few models parked this way. Started out using them during the construction phase as a safe, simple way to hold them while something dries. I did read of an idea to mount one on the wall and use it as a horizontal holding spike for allowing such things as fins to dry vertically...

I think the latest edition of The Handbook shows this idea in practice...

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635