Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > FreeForAll
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 12-27-2011, 12:21 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep

Hey Leo, I love watching them too.
When you are done with these, search for "The Big Picture US Army". There's a boatload of stuff there to watch!

WOW, thanks for the tip!

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbzep
Folks, don't forget to watch part two!

BTW, here's a color film with much of the live fire footage in the Solid Punch film.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGKa...feature=related

Hey Leo, I love watching them too.
When you are done with these, search for "The Big Picture US Army". There's a boatload of stuff there to watch!

Not that there was a perfect sync, but I just watched that link, turned off the U- tube sound and listened to the Ventures version of Wipeout.

Awesome, maybe I got lucky in places, but the music just seemed to emphasize the launches.

Starport Sagitta Rockets
email bherman@sagittarockets.com

NAR # 97971 SR

What's your idea on the best way to change Washington D.C.?
Let us know at the Cantina
Sagitta Cantina

We're looking for a few good Catos, please tell us about any you may have had. Survey of Anecdotal Malfunctioning Engines or S.A.M.E.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:32 PM
Dazed and Confused

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo
WOW, thanks for the tip!

You're welcome. When you finish there, you can go to the internet archive and watch more stuff. The only reason I didn't point you there first is that the titles and descriptions aren't as user friendly. Some of the videos on Youtube were 720p, but others only 480p. I noticed some of the same videos available at 720p on the archive.

http://www.archive.org/details/movies

Old 12-27-2011, 02:44 PM
German Model Rocket Builder

I think I'm going to be skipping my nights sleep today

My rocket fleet and more @ Leo's Leisure Site and on YouTube - My latest project: ALTDuino
Old 12-27-2011, 10:01 PM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
When you launch them within temperature constraints for a segmented design they are fine. The SU motors I have made have been operated is VERY wide temperature scenarios Including Adak, AK!!

Jerry

Heads up Horsey!

I was providing a historical perspective not making a judgment call...

Later! OL JR
Old 12-28-2011, 11:34 AM
Freeform rocketry advocate.

Location: Claremont, CA "The intellectual capitol of the world."-WSJ

I was definitely making a judgement call. Oh, BTW stating facts associated with that.
Old 06-02-2013, 12:17 PM
Junior Rocketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Irvine
Former KGB agent (Major General Oleg Kalugin) re-discloses on CSPAN (Reagan Library, Intelligence and the end of the cold war 11-2-11) that solid fuel technology was disclosed through an "asset" at Thiokol in the 50's and was one of the largest benefits achieved in the cold war.
I found this thread while searching for something else here. BTW, he wasn't just a KGB agent, he was head of the KGB. Here's what I believe is the fascinating interview video referenced above:

http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/162965-4

I was disappointed that no caller asked about KGB involvement in the Vietnam war.

His book which I will now need to read:

http://www.amazon.com/Spymaster-Thi...70193320&sr=8-2

Finally, several outstanding films to watch about cold war espionage in my order of preference:

Fiction - The Spy Who Came in from the Cold (The Criterion Collection) (1965)

http://www.amazon.com/The-Came-Cold...n+from+the+cold

Fiction - Smiley's People (1982)

http://www.amazon.com/Smileys-Peopl...iley%27s+people

Fiction - Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy (1979)

http://www.amazon.com/Tinker-Tailor...+tailor+soldier

Non-fiction - Family of Spies

http://www.amazon.com/Family-Spies-...family+of+spies
Old 06-03-2013, 05:38 AM
Master Modeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke strawwalker
-SNIP-
The only big users of liquid propellant ballistic missiles anymore are the so-called "rogue" states-- places like Iran, North Korea, etc. and places that just don't have the access to the developed solid fueled technologies, like Pakistan (which is basically flying their Ghauri 5, a North Korean upscaled/updated versions of the old Soviet Scud anyway, same as the Iranian Shahab 3). Everybody else designing and building "modern" missiles are using solid propellant.
I agree. I once read somewhere (I can't remember the publication) that modern (composite propellant) solid propellant rockets require a mature and extensive polymer (rubber and plastics) industry, because the chemistry is so involved and complex. The article cited this as the main reason why the Soviet adoption of solid rockets took so long, as they literally had to create the polymer industry that could produce the propellants, case liners, burn inhibitors, and (later, when they needed motor cases lighter than steel ones) the composite, fiber-reinforced plastic motor cases! Today's missile-making rogue states, such as Iran and North Korea, also lack such polymer industries, so the simpler (from a materials perspective) liquid rockets are easier for them to produce.
Quote:
Interestingly enough, there was a LOT of solid propellant vehicle proposals back in the earliest days of the moon race... I summarized some of these proposals over in the scale modeling section... such as the all-solid JPL version of NOVA and the various proposals by various companies like Grand Central Rocket Company, among others... Von Braun and others were very opposed to using SRM's on a human-carrying rocket for obvious safety reasons. I read that one of the Apollo engineers who was working on the shuttle program quit when the decision was made to use SRB's in the design, convinced (rightly it turns out) that "they're gonna kill somebody". The US leveraged its lead in advanced large solid rocket technology for the shuttle and for SRB's for various other liquid fueled space launchers like Delta, which has caused them to become quite engrained into the US space program-- so much so that many have trouble conceiving of heavy lift vehicles without them. While solid rockets can provide large amounts of raw thrust for liftoff augmentation, they do it with poor ISP and considerable pollution, and with MASSIVE attendant infrastructure and support costs. That's why the Air Force, when they retired Titan IV, retired the big SRM's with them, and developed the EELV program using the "common core" liquid fueled rocket booster principle instead of carrying over the large solids. The small solids still have their place, both in the space program and for the Air Force satellite launches, but their costs and impacts are much less for the thrust augmentation they provide-- IE they're more cost-efficient than large solids-- more bang for the buck...
Aerojet, who developed the Nova-size 260" diameter monolithic solid motors in the 1960s (Lockheed Propulsion Co. built 156" diameter solids back then as well), proposed a variation by which such gigantic motors would be fueled on the launch pad, by pumping a gel propellant into the motor case from tanker trucks. After the gel propellant cured inside the motor case, the inflatable mandrel would be removed from the nozzle and the igniter (a small solid rocket motor) would be installed up the nozzle of the big motor. Such a scheme might be practical with huge hybrid motors, where the fuel could be cast inside the motor case in this way.
Quote:
The Soviet/Russian space program has very very little in the way of solid propellant utilization in their vehicles. Virtually all of their primary propulsion is either LO2/RP-1 (kerosene) or hypergols... virtually all liquid propulsion. Most of their booster rockets are liquid propellant as well. While we've gone down what has basically ultimately proven to be a dead end WRT large segmented solid propellant booster rockets, the Soviets and later Russians have developed world-beating LOX/kerosene propellant rocket engines, and are in fact years if not decades ahead of the US in this regard.
I wouldn't characterize segmented large solid motors as a "dead end"; India has had excellent results and reliability with this technology, using a segmented maraging steel case for the first (core) stages of their PSLV and GSLV (Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle and Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle, respectively). They use the segmented maraging steel case for the lowest (and largest & heaviest) stage, while these rockets' third stages have fiber-reinforced plastic motor cases (their second and fourth stages use liquid propellants).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR

Last edited by blackshire : 06-03-2013 at 05:48 AM. Reason: This ol' hoss done forgot somethin'.
Old 06-05-2013, 12:11 AM
BAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackshire
.I wouldn't characterize segmented large solid motors as a "dead end"; India has had excellent results and reliability with this technology.

That may be, but by "dead end" I meant "how do you improve them"?

There is very little true "improvement" available for SRM's versus liquid propellant systems.

The new "black knight" "advanced" boosters being promoted for SLS-- different (slightly more energetic) propellant chemistry, and spiral-filament-wound casings versus steel, tweaks to the throat diameter, operating pressure, and expansion ratio of the nozzle, but that's about it. Well, aside from the BOATLOAD of development money needed to actually design and produce them...

Reviving the F-1 as the F-1B on the other hand is MUCH more impressive from a performance and capabilities point of view...

It's inescapable, that SRM's are large and heavy, and ultimately hit a glass ceiling rather quickly when it comes to "uprating" where simply "adding more, bigger" motors imposes HUGE impacts on your infrastructure, requiring massive rework to handle the additional mass of the larger, heavier, or more numerous SRM's. LRB's are MUCH more forgiving in this regard, since their booster vehicles (tankage, structures, etc) are all moved EMPTY to the pads and only fuelled just prior to launch, and designing the system to support that static load is MUCH simpler, easier, and cheaper... Improvements to the performance of liquid rocket engines are also much easier to incorporate into the design, than it is for SRM's. SRM's also present a host of handling and pad checkout safety issues, since they are handled and serviced fully loaded.

While the "cast in place" technology sounds interesting, it's obviously not the state of the art, nor is there any talk of doing it that way that *I'm* aware of. While the idea might have been studied at some point, apparently it either never panned out or was impractical, or was rejected for other reasons. I would tend to think that the quality control issues alone would rule it out... solid motors are absolutely reliant upon good propellant/casing bonds and unformity in the motor propellant casting process to form a solid, even grain without faults, voids, or other imperfections, solidly bonded to the interior casing walls. Even the famous 260 inch monolithic Aerojet SRM had SERIOUS questions raised about it... just the propellant slump alone was projected to be about a foot or so (IIRC) and the issues with such a super-massive slug of propellant slumping inside the casing after being erected on the launching pad, creating enormous shear forces in the forward end of the propellant grain, pulling it downward and inward and causing wall delamination problems even in preliminary tests, were causing real doubts as to the practicality and reliability of such a huge SRM, if it had ever been built and put into regular production and use. (Remember all the tests that Aerojet did in the Everglades were fired inverted, in their casting silos which doubled as firing pit test stands-- the motors were all sub-scale as well (quarter length and half-length IIRC) and even THEY were too heavy to remove from the casting/firing silo fully fuelled with the existing equipment as it was! The 260 incher was going to require a WHOLE NEW INFRASTRUCTURE to handle them, both at the factory and at KSC... there's stuff in the scale section in the study summaries I posted on this!)

Then there's "cost sharing"... there is none! Granted NASA isn't really leveraging cost sharing much now anyway, but the big SRB's are strictly one-trick ponies, and there are MUCH better and cheaper ways of doing that. NASA could cost-share if they were smart and leveraged EELV technologies to the extent possible instead of going all "shuttle derived". Thing is, NOBODY is sharing the costs of large solid infrastructure and support costs, as they are strictly NASA's baby... even the AF dumped large segmented solids with the EELV's as I previously mentioned.

Later! OL JR
Old 06-05-2013, 12:49 AM
Master Modeler

The perchlorate environmental contamination alone would prevent the giant (Nova-size) solids from ever making a comeback. LOX/rubber hybrid motors of that size might be a different story...their fuel grains could even be cast with support frames "investment cast" inside the grains (like the metal "combustion ensuring" rods that were cast into the World War II-era aircraft rockets' propellant grains, only on a *much* larger scale).
http://www.lulu.com/product/cd/what...of-2%29/6126511
All of my book proceeds go to the Northcote Heavy Horse Centre www.northcotehorses.com.
NAR #54895 SR