Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > Weather-Cocked > Mission Control
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2016, 09:27 AM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Default Good Launch Session This Morning

Got three model rocket flights in this morning.

First off was my flagship Hornet on a 1/2A . Excellent flight. The model was now equipped with a 24” shock cord, so there were no more fin-mashing snap backs of the payload section. I think I’ll start flying this one on A engines soon. The field is certainly spacious enough and the model always lands close to the launch pad with streamer recovery.

Next up was the Mosquito on a ¼A. Set the launch rod angle at about 5 degrees from vertical. Good boost – was able to track the model to ejection, then it disappeared! Drat!! After a 15+ minute search I finally found the bird. Even in with super bright paint and a nice manicured turf, this bugger was still a challenge to find! The landing spot was 52 paces (Approx 150’) from the launch pad.

Note: you might notice that the engine is halfway out of the tube in the pre-flight picture. It was a loose fit, so before launch, I supported the model on the engine casing with a clothespin. Worked fine.

Had so much fun with the Mosquito, I decided to torture myself and fly it again. After all, my goal is to get at least 10 returned flights out of this beastie.

2nd launch was good, but some bright cloud cover prevented me from seeing the delay smoke trail. I had to rely solely on which direction I heard the ejection ‘pop’ to get some idea about where the bird would likely land. This time the search was only 5 minutes with the model being found around 90 paces from the pad.

Anyway, I’ve reconfirmed the fact that model rocketry is fun!!

Man, I’ve got to get some Boost/Gliders built and out on this field!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Mosquito 1st flight aug 11.jpg
Views: 35
Size:  937.3 KB  

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/
Old 08-11-2016, 12:36 PM
President, MAYHEM AGITATORS, Inc.

TWO recovered Mosquito flights in ONE day even on a 1/4A motor is an impressive feat if conditions are anything but dead calm.
Don't push your luck.
Whenever I TRY to recover those things on 1/4A or 1/2A motors I LOSE them !
I have actually recovered them when TRYING TO LOSE them on A3-6T and B3-5m motors !

I think if I build/fly any Mosquitoes in the future, I'm going to include a MMX motor mount and small streamer recovery which would fit with MMX.
Either that or I'm going to build one of those huge J-Powered "Super Skeeter" 6" diameter kits that can be small-field single-deployment recovered on a 38mm Aerotech J350.

Yes, there is such a thing as NORMAL
, if you have to ask what is "NORMAL" , you probably aren't !

Failure may not be an OPTION, but it is ALWAYS a POSSIBILITY.
ALL systems are GO for MAYHEM, CHAOS, and HAVOC !
Old 08-11-2016, 04:13 PM
Craftsman

Good to see you launching early on a week day at this site, before soccer practice. This top secret site is located somewhere deep inside the former Soviet Republics, next to the world champions HQ, and sometimes hosts a Sunday Frisbee catching dog show in the adjacent field in the way back corner of the park. They think the entire park is theirs so beware, your black powder motors are deafening at over 300 yards and a berm away. Doesn't help that one of the rocket crew was a former vet assistant and is not keen on the sport of dog Frisbee catching. The other rocket crew member has also launched there many times and called beforehand for time and location clearance from the park. Not a good mix or situation.

Glad to see you have good luck in parks. Beware of the burn bans as well, if the commissar is in town oh no!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:18 PM
'nother Old Fart BAR....

Those pesky berms !!!

And I think I do have tinnitus from flying model rockets back in the 70's. Couldn't possibly be from all that rock n' roll music. Could have been worse since I never did own a Sky Shriek or a Screamer!

Nice thing is that the park is quite deserted and quiet that time of morning. Just the way I like it.

No one there to notice that wierdie walking slowly around the soccer fields with his eyes glued to the ground.

"Jeepers, Mr., What are you looking for?'"

"Why, a Mosquito, of course!"

Poor Frisbee-Catching dogs...maybe they're not getting enough cheese in their diets.

Check out my wonderful model rocketry blog here:
https://castlerocketeer.blogspot.com/