Ye Olde Rocket Forum

Go Back   Ye Olde Rocket Forum > The Golden Age of Model Rocketry > Kit Collecting
User Name
Password
Auctions Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts Search Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-2011, 03:29 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoy 32
Well, I'd like to see somebody dig these Estes gems up if at all possible:

Sea Strike D - Decals
Sandpiper - Fin templates and decals
Cajun - Fin templates and decals
Super Nova Payloader - Fin templates
Mini Brute Hornet - Fin templates and decals
Apache 2 - Fin templates

The fin patterns and decals for the Centuri
F-15 Eagle would be a real find too.

Apache 2 is the same kit as the Centuri Tiger Streak, #5357. There is a fin outline posted with that scan set on Ye Olde Rocket Plans

Are you talking about the Super Nova Payloader, #2155, or the Super Nova, #2011? If the former, it's a plastic fin and I may have one somewhere to measure. If it's the latter, it's literally just two sets of Alpha fins.

For the Mini Brute Hornet, #804, check the outlines posted below. This scan was taken from the instruction sheet and enlarged to match a 3" wide sheet of balsa. It's surprising how many of these micro-images were accurate - just tiny!

For the Cajun, #2028, same notation as the MB Hornet. This is scaled to a 4" x 12" sheet of balsa.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  MB Hornet Fin Sheet.png
Views: 55
Size:  4.1 KB  Click image for larger version

Name:  Cajun Fin Sheet.png
Views: 56
Size:  10.5 KB  

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-04-2011, 04:09 PM
BARCLONE Rocketry

Here's a laser-cutting pattern for the Cajun #2028 fins, if the original sheet was 4" x 12" x 3/32". Someone with an original kit can measure against these patterns to see if I came close.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:  Cajun Fin Sheet.png
Views: 81
Size:  49.0 KB  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Cajun Fin Sheet.zip (26.1 KB, 71 views)

BARCLONE Rocketry -- http://barclone.rocketshoppe.com
BARCLONE Blogsite -- http://barclone.wordpress.com
BARCLONE Forum -- BARCLONE Forum

BARs helping BARs

SAM 0044
AMA 352635
Old 02-04-2011, 07:10 PM
I do not like Facebook

Quote:
Is there ANYTHING I can do or that we as a community can do to help you update the site? I'd gladly volunteer my time. I'd be willing to do just about anything to get those plans posted since it's been going on 2 1/2 years since the last update.

Yes - start your own plans site. Didn't Ye Olde Rocket Plans start because JimZ was slow with site updates?

Bill
Old 02-04-2011, 08:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Well, I'd like to see somebody dig these Estes gems up if at all possible:

Sea Strike D - Decals
Sandpiper - Fin templates and decals
Cajun - Fin templates and decals
Super Nova Payloader - Fin templates
Mini Brute Hornet - Fin templates and decals
Apache 2 - Fin templates

The fin patterns and decals for the Centuri
F-15 Eagle would be a real find too.

Rocketboy,

All those items are available and as someone has noted, they even exist in other forms; many Centuri kits were ported over to Estes variants.

As for the really really old stuff, bid higher.

Yes I realize that is a flippant answer, but that is what you have to do sometimes.

Any Centuri kit with a stapled white or blue/red/white header card comes from 1962 - ~1965. In the 1965 range, Centuri started switching to the checkerboard pattern face cards with the rolled mylar bag stapled to it at the top. Those pre-65 kits were few in the making (Lee started Centuri in his garage) and are pricey.

On the subject of price, there were SEVERAL Aurora Missile kits that fetched into the $600+ range ... I wanted them, but not THAT bad, and I didn't get angry at the person who won them ... I was proud of the fact that there are those like you and I who value this old rocket stuff.

Some people value their cars ... I don't care, I could go out tomorrow and buy a BMW or a Benz ... I have the high credit score and I can place a nice chunk of change down for a down payment ... but I don't value cars as much as I do a flown artifact into space or returned from the moon.

E.g. One of the auction galleries that I buy my space stuff had an auction for a very impressive painting of Ed White and his EVA from Gemini IV. It was the inspiration for a famous mural that was done and sits down in a bank in Texas. After my bids of $25,000.00 was eclipsed, I stopped... the painting finally ended at $70,000.00 and if I had the disposable income, I would have spent that for it. Its just a matter of what you have and what you are willing to pay. Would you call me a jerk just because I could afford something? Trust me I am a jerk for other reasons, and its not because I buy things

OH, if I HAD won at $25,000.00 I would have taken out a loan and used some items that I have as collateral ... I also have an affinity for Salvidor Dali!!!

Don't get angry at people who win stuff, be HAPPY for them because it shows you that they are willing to pony up and pay from their hearts to their wallets for items. Should you ever run across a garage sell where old kits are being sold for $0.50, then you win because you didn't have to pay hundreds for the same or similar item. Oh, and realize that 20% - 30% of the final bid on any popular item will be driven by emotion, and NOT common sense!

Try collecting plastic model kits of space subjects... well based on what the Thor IRBM and Thor Lunar Prob fetched you might want to not go there, but there are other lower end collectibles to buy. And just think, some of the stuff in the dollar bin today, will in 30 - 40 years be worth a heck of a lot more ... just have to have a good eye

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I have some old kits that are similar to those, when I bought them people were telling me that I was crazy ... they were right, but I am glad I have something that brings me joy ... the world is a VERY cold and harsh place, and anything that can take me into my own reality I go for; but no drugs!

You think those Centuri kits went for too much ... OMG where are the ebay bidders: fishtit, adirondacktrains, snoop-dog, txt-storm and a few others from years back. Those guys wouldn't let a K kit or Centuri kit go for anything less than $225.00... Dan Wolfe is another high bidder that comes to mind.

Trust me, the hobby is being preserved by some who value what the kit represents more than what can be achieved from an on-line auction.

Did you know that Model Rocketry is the reason I was able to ESCAPE the ghetto? No really. While people where dying around me ( I was in a 'Blood' neighborhood and 'Crypts' would do drive-byes, vice-versa). I lost my God Cousin Anthony Hill (19) and one of my play friend's brothers due to gang violence. I would be beat up at school because I was a nerd and would carry around model rocket catalogs and read them; not the small TV guide Estes ones, but the news paper sized centuri ones. My mother would come into my room and destroy my built models because she understood what they meant to me ... you see some mommies and daddies are to be forgotten... I came from a VERY abusive/sick home where I would sit and dream of building a rocket big enough where I could get in it and blast off to outer-space and never come back... the hobby means Far far far more to me than an ebay auction like most of the phony model rocketeers pass themselves off to be.

Rocketry taught me simple circuits, what a resistor is, a battery , a capacitor, a soldering iron, a drill, a lathe, air brush, sanding block, trigonometry for determining altitude, a protractor, impulse, specific impulse, equations of motion, calculus ... the UNIVERSE.

So please understand there are those of us who are not out to embarrass or insult you because we place our priorities in a different area than you.

There are some on there that have $50,000.00 cars. Should I hate them and call them jerks because they like fine cars? There are people on here that own their own private aircraft. Should I call them jerks because they have a Piper, Cessna, Beechcraft and I don't? No, I applaud them for seeing value in the same things that I enjoy

I love CAPITALISM (Private Ownership), and as Earl pointed out in a previous message, and I paraphrase, 'As long as the person acquires and spends their $$$ with honest intent, then why should I stand in their way?.

I have a box full of old Centuri plans. Nothing too crazy, but if you need Centuri Honest john, Centuar, Payloaded 2, you just ask me, and I will send. I won't open sealed rockets because they mean something to me. When I was a kid, I didn't have much... a few Christmases I received NOTHING; I kid you not, and swear upon my eternal soul, there were times I received NOTHING. At one point I would receive rocketry items from my richer friends who would let me watch or recover rockets for them. You ever have a neighbor come over to you and say, "Jonathan you are not stupid, you keep following your dreams" - Mr. Hawkin the gentleman who lived across the street; you see he would hear my mother cussing me out, calling me names, and making my early life on planet Earth HELL.

I'm rambling ... OK point is, for some of us, the hobby the collecting is far far FAR more important than the money... trust me And what is money? Answer: A mechanism to get what you need or want.

Jonathan
Old 02-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Opinions mine; not of NAR or MOF!

It's because of posts like these and the people that populate this forum that I visit so frequently. Thanks for sharing your story and thoughts.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:38 AM
Master Modeler

Default Centuri F-15 Eagle available elsewhere

RocketBoy 32,

The Centuri F-15 Eagle is available on another forum. I'll post here later when I find it again.
I think I downloaded the parts too. I'll check.

Daniel

Update! I found it in Yahoo groups.

Try this first.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/OldRockets/files/

Direct Link:

http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/8GVNTZ...20Eagle%20B.pdf

Last edited by dlazarus6660 : 02-05-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 06:00 PM
I'm not a BAR - I've never quit!

Send a message via AIM to RocketBoy 32

Thanks a lot everyone. Thanks to you too Jonathan - that's quite a life story you have there.